FC Bayern Muenchen v Chelsea FC - UEFA Champions League Final

Chelsea concedes Roberto Di Matteo “under serious consideration” for permanent manager’s job

1 Comment

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck has conceded that Roberto Di Matteo is a “serious” candidate for Chelsea’s permanent manager position. That’s awfully nice of the club, considering the 41-year-old Italian just guided the club to their first Champions League. The Telegraph has more, but there are a couple of factors that the piece doesn’t mention which could steer the Blues in another direction.

During the buildup to Munich, it became known that the Chelsea office felt di Matteo had gone off script. When he replaced André Villas-Boas, Di Matteo was told about the importance of finishing fourth in the Premier League, thereby qualifying for next season’s Champions League. That Chelsea failed to do so, finishing sixth, is damning enough. For di Matteo to actively de-prioritize the goal is another thing altogether. While the choice made sense to us – allocating his best players to Champions League – it may have been in defiance of his bosses.

Then there’s the stylistic concern. The way in which Chelsea won Champions League may not win di Matteo points with the owner. Undoubtedly, Roman Abramovich is happy his decade in charge has finally brought him a European title, but Chelsea’s owner has always wanted his club’s ambition to be reflected in their play (as well as their results). Recently, and somewhat comically, there’ve been reports of Chelsea wanting a more Barcelona-esque approach. Where getting to that level would be the result of a long process,s the way Di Matteo approached Real Madrid and Bayern Munich could be seen as a step back.

And at some point, Chelsea needs to rebuild. They’re champions of Europe, but nobody’s under any illusion they’re the best team in England, let along UEFA. Finishing top four next year’s got to be considered slightly improbable, at this point. There’s reason to rebuild now, if not take more steps toward transitioning from the John Terry era. Di Matteo’s hiring would implicitly be an affirmation of 2011-12, where a Villas-Boas-led rebuild was rejected. Putting off tomorrow worked today, but at some point soon, Chelsea has to move on.

Buck said Di Matteo will know his fate “sooner rather than later,” claiming the interim manager “has done an amazing job” and has earned “serious consideration.” Something he could have said, if Chelsea were looking to keep him: We hope Roberto Di Matteo will be with us for the foreseeable future. It’s not an uncommon sentiment to express, even if somebody’s future’s in doubt. But Buck went in another direction. Read into that what you will.

With a Champions League title on his record, Di Matteo won’t have any problems finding another job. He could probably have Lazio’s if he wants, but until Abramovich decides whether Chelsea’s cup-Europe double is enough, Di Matteo’s in limbo.

Report: Manchester City makes final bid for John Stones

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 16:  Diego Costa of Chelsea and John Stones of Everton compete for the ball during the Barclays Premier League match between Chelsea and Everton at Stamford Bridge on January 16, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Take it or leave it.

Manchester City has made a final push for Everton defender John Stones, and has set its last offer at $52 million. Last month, the Citizens made the same exact bid for the 22-year-old, which was rejected by Everton.

[ MORE: Italian legend Christian Vieri looks to join Chinese Super League ]

City is said to be looking to avoid overpaying for Stones, after compensating Porto over $55 million for centerback Eliaquim Mangala two years ago.

While Stones has gone on record saying that he wants to play for manager Pep Guardiola at the Etihad Stadium, it remains to be seen if Everton will part ways with its prized defender.

NASL weekend preview: Rayo OKC faces stiff test against Minnesota

rayo okc
Leave a comment

Following a midweek loss against FC Edmonton, the New York Cosmos will try to rebound at home against Puerto Rico FC.

The Cosmos currently have two losses during the Fall Season, having conceded 10 goals in six matches, which is the second-most in NASL.

[ MORE: MLS weekend preview ]

With no unbeatens remaining, Spring Season champion Indy Eleven looks to keep its place near the top of the table against Miami FC.

Minnesota United looks to build off of its strong start against league leaders Rayo OKC, with the two teams separated by a mere two points.

Meanwhile, the Fort Lauderdale Strikers continue to search for their first win of the Fall Season against the struggling Jacksonville Armada.

Saturday

New York Cosmos vs. Puerto Rico FC

Ottawa Fury vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies

Fort Lauderdale Strikers vs. Jacksonville Armada

Miami FC vs. Indy Eleven

Rayo OKC vs. Minnesota United

Sunday

FC Edmonton vs. Carolina RailHawks

Liverpool keeper Karius to miss two months

MEYRIN, SWITZERLAND - JULY 22:   Loris Karius of 1. FSV Mainz 05 in action during the pre-season friendly match between 1. FSV Mainz 05 and AS Monaco at Stade des Arberes on July 22, 2015 in Meyrin, Switzerland.  (Photo by Harold Cunningham/Getty Images)
Harold Cunningham/Getty Images
Leave a comment

He was tabbed to be Liverpool’s opening day starter in goal, but Loris Karius could now miss the first two months of the Premier League season after suffering a hand injury in Wednesday’s International Champions Cup loss against Chelsea.

[ MORE: Real looking at Sissoko, Verratti as midfield options ]

The 23-year-old was brought to the Reds this summer from Bundesliga side Mainz for over $6 million.

Karius opted not to represent Germany at next month’s Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in order to avoid missing any game action with Liverpool. Unfortunately, the young keeper will now likely miss between eight and 10 weeks.

Italian legend Christian Vieri looks to make comeback

ROME, ITALY - OCTOBER 19:  Christian Vieri poses with the UEFA Champions League Trophy during the UEFA Champions League Trophy Tour 2012/13 on October 19, 2012 in Rome, Italy.  (Photo by Paolo Bruno/Getty Images for UEFA)
Paolo Bruno/Getty Images for UEFA
Leave a comment

His career ended over seven years ago, but former Italy international Christian Vieri is looking to make an improbable comeback in a country that continues to attract big stars.

The 43-year-old Vieri is reportedly coming out of retirement to join the Chinese Super League, and posted a video on Twitter confirming his plans.

Last playing in 2009, Vieri finished his career where it began — in Italy — with Atalanta. During his career, the striker played for 10 clubs in his native country, while also spending time in Spain and France with Atletico Madrid and Monaco, respectively.

Vieri made his name with Inter Milan, where he recorded six straight seasons with double-digit goals. At the height of his career with Internazionale, Vieri netted 27 times across all competitions during the 2002/03 season.