DC United v New York Red Bulls

Still dealing with the Branko Boskovic problem at RFK

Leave a comment

You could say that Ben Olsen was vindicated in his choice to remove playmaker Branko Boskovic after 56 minutes in Saturday’s important 2-1 win over New England.

The lead belonged to the home team, so you could say it was “mission accomplished” for the top creator left at RFK now that Dwayne De Rosario is done for 2012. United held on, moved into fifth place in the East and everything looked …

Well, of course nothing can ever be that simple, now can it?

There’s more to this one, as Boskovic was clearly not thrilled with such a relatively early removal. (We suspect this from his subsequent body language – but since the veteran midfielder hurried out without talking to reporters, that’s just an educated guess on everyone part.)

Olsen was fairly clear, for his part, about why the Montenegrin was yanked.

Well, one, he’s not that fit. He’s not 90 minutes fit. He’s had a while so we knew at some point that he was going to have to come off. It just looked like he was starting to fade a little bit. Branko, offensively, gives you some real magic, and the set pieces I thought he put in today were very good. But there was starting to be a cost to that.”

In my mind, questions about whether Boskovic should start or come off the bench, given his iffy fitness, are irrelevant. Why?

Because he’s not fit! He’s never fit. He never has been fit, as far as most of us can tell.

So why in wide, wide world of sports is this guy still on the DCU roster? I suppose he has some value, particularly at the lower salary negotiated this year. But at some point, isn’t he a luxury item to have around for a club with so much work ahead just to make the playoffs for the first time since 2007? (Not to mention a fairly bad example to have around young players, etc.)

At some point, don’t you “eliminate” a problem rather than continue to “deal” with it. And make no mistake, a player who is perpetually unfit qualifies as a problem.

Sunderland confirm resignation of manager Dick Advocaat

SUNDERLAND, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 03:  Dick Advocaat manager of Sunderland looks on prior to the Barclays Premier League match between Sunderland and West Ham United at the Stadium of Light in Sunderland, United Kingdom.  (Photo by Steve Welsh/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

With rumors swirling of his resignation, Sunderland have confirmed this morning that Dick Advocaat has left his post as Sunderland manager with zero financial compensation despite the protests of the chairman.

Advocaat came on in March as an emergency signing, successfully saving Sunderland from relegation with a solid run of form to finish the season. The 68-year-old Dutchman pondered at length this summer if he wished to continue on, with his wife reportedly urging him to step down, but he chose to continue on with the new season after successful persuasion from the front office.

Unfortunately, things have not gone as planned, with Sunderland sitting 19th in the table, only above Newcastle on goal differential and without a single win on the season. They’ve conceded a whopping 18 goals so far this season through eight league matches.

“I have made the decision to go after only eight games as I felt it was important to give everyone time turn things around – like we did last year,” Advocaat said upon his departure. “I am thankful to the chairman for understanding my feelings and I remain on good terms with everyone at the club.

“I wish Ellis [Short], Lee [Congerton], all of the staff, players and of course the supporters, who made me feel so welcome here, the very best of luck for the rest of the season. I have some wonderful memories to take with me and I hope I will return to see everybody again in the future.”

“I am truly saddened by Dick’s decision,” chairman Ellis Short said, “but I respect him for his honesty and for doing what he feels is right for the club. He is a man of integrity and a true football person. He was hugely respectful of the club in taking this decision and he acted 100% in our best interests. It is also testament to his character that he has forgone any kind of a financial settlement, something which is very unusual in football.”

Meanwhile, the Black Cats have dipped into what is becoming a perennial cycle, making a managerial change for the fourth time in the last four seasons.

Rumors are swirling that a host of experienced Premier League managers could be up for the job, including the currently unemployed Sam Allardyce and Harry Redknapp. Other linked names include former Leicester manager Nigel Pearson and current Burnley boss Sean Dyche.

Sepp Blatter’s daughter slams media for ruining her father’s reputation

Leave a comment

Sepp Blatter’s daughter blames the media, not her father, for Sepp’s downfall as the head of FIFA and believes he will not step down until the February congress as he initially announced.

“The media has ruined his reputation,” Corinne Blatter told Swiss newspaper Blick. “Why are they picking on him? What did he do to them? … It’s not just envy. It’s hatred.”

A host of major sponsors, including Coca-Cola, McDonalds and Visa called for Blatter’s immediate resignation as president of FIFA, to which the 79-year-old swiftly rejected. This all came after Blatter was called in by Swiss authorities for questioning after the opening of an investigation surrounding corporate mismanagement charges.

“I was afraid that they now take him away in handcuffs,” Corinne said. “He told me, ‘I must be dreaming.’ A federal policeman assured me that he could after hearing home.”

Blick pressed Corinne on many issues, all of which she defender her father. She refused to comment on many that had to do with the investigation, but did give us this gem when asked how Sepp likes to spend his money.

“He buys shoes and travel bags. He has worked 40 years. His life is modest, without any extravagance. He doesn’t play golf or go sailing.”

Shoes and handbags. What an image.