FA’s case starts as Terry-Ferdinand saga winds to a close

Leave a comment

England has decided on the first sideshow of this season’s soccer media cycle, and it’s The FA’s case against John Terry. Proceeding started today at Wembley, Terry’s likely to end up with a suspension, and the Chelsea captain doing his own part contributing to the maelstrom. Yesterday the former England captain announced he would no longer play for his country. Terry should be allowed his prerogatives, but the timing could have been better.

The Guardian and Mark Redding have a very good rundown on what’s going on. Terry’s going through the same thing that Luis Suárez did last year. The process has a 99.5 percent conviction rate. A “balance of probability” needs to be shown to convict, and for a case to make it this far, The FA must already feel the evidence is compelling. Terry’s going to have to provide an alternative story.

Per the piece, Terry’s defense won’t center around whether he said the words we won’t print here. He’ll claim the phase wasn’t used a an epithet; rather, he was repeating something he’d heard.

Terry’s already been cleared of these charges in a criminal case, something which has a bearing on The FA’s proceedings. Per The FA’s rules:

“Where the subject matter of a complaint or matter before the Regulatory Commission has been the subject of previous civil or criminal proceedings, the result of such proceedings and the facts and matters upon which such result is based shall be presumed to be correct and the facts presumed to be true unless it is shown, by clear and convincing evidence, that this is not the case”

This might make the “balance of probability” standard less relevant than The FA’s ability to rationalize why they should consider evidence “clear and convincing” where the courts did not. Given the federation brought their charges after Terry was cleared in court, it’s likely they’ve already wrapped their head around that problem.

The key pieces of evidence will likely be video tape and Anton Ferdinand’s testimony. Video shows Terry mouthing the accused words in the direction of the Queens Park Rangers defender. Ferdinand’s testimony recounts the same. Terry will try to present another side.

Redding says a four-match suspension is the most likely result. Suárez got eight. How to reconcile that difference? Suárez directed “negro” at Evra repeatedly, a factor in The FA’s final decision. If he’s convicted, Terry’s one-off comment should be deemed less egregious.

This is the 11th month of this ordeal, with the QPR-Chelsea match which sparked this story taking place in Oct. 2011. Thanks to this proceeding, this will also be the last month of this ordeal. We’ll likely know by the weekend whether Terry will play Saturday at Arsenal.

Soccer world reacts to the Manchester attacks

Peter Byrne/PA via AP
Leave a comment

NBC News is reporting that at least 19 people have been killed and another 50 are injured following a possible suicide bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.

Multiple senior U.S. intelligence officials who are monitoring British authorities told NBC News that preliminary reports indicate that a single explosion took place outside the arena on the southwest side opposite the train station. The explosion occurred as the concert ended, catching people as they exited.

Soccer clubs, players and personalities around the world are reacting to the horrible event.

Juventus purchases Cuadrado from Chelsea

Photo by Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images
Leave a comment

If you didn’t realize Juan Cuadrado still belonged to Chelsea, you’re forgiven.

The Colombian attacker will complete his second season at Juventus after the UEFA Champions League Final against Real Madrid, and won’t be headed back to Chelsea afterwards.

Juve has purchased Cuadrado, and the fee is $22 million, and Juve will pay it over three seasons. Cuadrado, 28, is now signed through 2020 with The Old Lady.

Cuadrado first went on loan to Juve in Aug. 2015, and has eight goals and 18 assists in 83 career appearances with the club.

Chelsea bought Cuadrado from Fiorentina for around $32 million in the January 2015 transfer window, but made just 14 appearances with the club.

Report: Jermain Defoe meeting with Bournemouth

Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty images
Leave a comment

Sky Sports is reporting that Jermain Defoe may head back to the south of England following Sunderland’s relegation.

Defoe, 34, spent two seasons with Portsmouth between 2008-09, scoring 15 goals in 31 appearances.

[ MORE: ‘The Moment’ of each PL club’s season ]

The 56-times capped England striker had a clause in his Sunderland contract allowing him to leave the Stadium of Light were the Black Cats to be relegated, as they were this season. He’d have little interest in dropping into the Championship given his desire to stay a part of the England squad ahead of the 2018 World Cup.

Bournemouth’s strike corps includes Joshua King, who scored the most goals of any player not on a Top Seven side this season. King’s 16 goals were one more than Defoe’s 15, though the latter scored just one goal following a brace against Crystal Palace on Feb. 4.

Chelsea’s Conte wins pair of top managerial honors

AP Photo/Frank Augstein
1 Comment

Antonio Conte took league and national honors from the League Managers Association on Monday night.

The Chelsea boss was named Premier League Manager of the Year and Manager of the Year after leading the Blues to the PL title and an FA Cup Final in his first year on the job.

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Chris Hughton nabbed another Championship boss of the year award after leading the Gulls to the Premier League. He also won the honor with Newcastle United in 2010.

The League One winner is Chris Wilder of Sheffield United. Wilder won the honor with Northampton Town last season.

In League Two, Paul Cook of Portsmouth was named the winner.