Landon Donovan: foul or no foul, Galaxy didn’t get it done

Leave a comment

To many times in the past, L.A. Galaxy players and coaches have found about 17 different things to blame for losses. Field surface, game conditions, scheduling, refereeing … dependency on foreign oil, concern over declining ratings for The Office … the whole nine yards.

And I’ve always been quick to point out when the excuse caboose was pulling out of the Home Depot Center.

So let’s be fair and credit the Galaxy for mostly handling last night’s controversial finish with the right tone. We talked about the free kick already, about which Galaxy man owns greater culpability for the killer goal that’s going to make Wednesday’s return leg so much more problematic.

(MORE: Who had more blame on the late goal in Carson?)

But we didn’t exactly get to the controversial foul itself. Referee Ricardo Salazar adjudged that Galaxy midfielder Marcelo Sarvas fouled Earthquakes midfielder Simon Dawkins in what looked like a 50-50 challenge.

According to Galaxy manager Bruce Arena, “If that’s a foul in this game, then there’s 100 fouls.”

As a matter of fact – and this should become part of the conversation – Salazar had just a minute earlier awarded the Galaxy a free kick in an even more dangerous location. Landon Donovan had been felled just outside the penalty area.

There was surely some contact from Dawkins. But one could certainly make a case that Donovan left his right leg dangling out there and then went over Dawkins’ tackle attempt. Further, the Galaxy’s wise old attacker certainly was wearing a sneaky little smile when Sean Franklin strode by to pat his teammate on the head and offer up an “atta’ boy!” Not exactly something that would hold up in court … but the burden of proof is far, far less in a soccer blog, as we all know.

It’s no small matter that Dawkins was the very Earthquake involved in both of these telling sequences. Because if Salazar was looking for some kind of “even-up” call, it makes sense that he might afford Dawkins slightly more benefit of the doubt.

At any rate, here’s what Donovan said about it – and his comment strikes the appropriate blend of reasonable protest balanced against acknowledgment of his side’s responsibility:

I’ve said I think if you ask Ricardo again, he’d probably say it was a mistake, and he shouldn’t have called it. But we still had a chance to get our wall together and do a better job, and those kind of plays happen. Sometimes you don’t get calls for you, and you’ve got to do a good job with the resulting free kicks, and we didn’t.”

Soccer world reacts to the Manchester attacks

Peter Byrne/PA via AP
Leave a comment

NBC News is reporting that at least 19 people have been killed and another 50 are injured following a possible suicide bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.

Multiple senior U.S. intelligence officials who are monitoring British authorities told NBC News that preliminary reports indicate that a single explosion took place outside the arena on the southwest side opposite the train station. The explosion occurred as the concert ended, catching people as they exited.

Soccer personalities around the world are reacting to the horrible event.

Juventus purchases Cuadrado from Chelsea

Photo by Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images
Leave a comment

If you didn’t realize Juan Cuadrado still belonged to Chelsea, you’re forgiven.

The Colombian attacker will complete his second season at Juventus after the UEFA Champions League Final against Real Madrid, and won’t be headed back to Chelsea afterwards.

Juve has purchased Cuadrado, and the fee is $22 million, and Juve will pay it over three seasons. Cuadrado, 28, is now signed through 2020 with The Old Lady.

Cuadrado first went on loan to Juve in Aug. 2015, and has eight goals and 18 assists in 83 career appearances with the club.

Chelsea bought Cuadrado from Fiorentina for around $32 million in the January 2015 transfer window, but made just 14 appearances with the club.

Report: Jermain Defoe meeting with Bournemouth

Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty images
Leave a comment

Sky Sports is reporting that Jermain Defoe may head back to the south of England following Sunderland’s relegation.

Defoe, 34, spent two seasons with Portsmouth between 2008-09, scoring 15 goals in 31 appearances.

[ MORE: ‘The Moment’ of each PL club’s season ]

The 56-times capped England striker had a clause in his Sunderland contract allowing him to leave the Stadium of Light were the Black Cats to be relegated, as they were this season. He’d have little interest in dropping into the Championship given his desire to stay a part of the England squad ahead of the 2018 World Cup.

Bournemouth’s strike corps includes Joshua King, who scored the most goals of any player not on a Top Seven side this season. King’s 16 goals were one more than Defoe’s 15, though the latter scored just one goal following a brace against Crystal Palace on Feb. 4.

Chelsea’s Conte wins pair of top managerial honors

AP Photo/Frank Augstein
1 Comment

Antonio Conte took league and national honors from the League Managers Association on Monday night.

The Chelsea boss was named Premier League Manager of the Year and Manager of the Year after leading the Blues to the PL title and an FA Cup Final in his first year on the job.

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Chris Hughton nabbed another Championship boss of the year award after leading the Gulls to the Premier League. He also won the honor with Newcastle United in 2010.

The League One winner is Chris Wilder of Sheffield United. Wilder won the honor with Northampton Town last season.

In League Two, Paul Cook of Portsmouth was named the winner.