Looking back on Omar Gonzalez’ very ill-advised elbow

6 Comments

Word on post-season Disciplinary Committee action (from Major League Soccer’s league office): “The process is the same as the regular season, but the initial reviews have been accelerated.”

If that’s the case, Omar Gonzalez could be getting a some bad news in the next couple of days. At a minimum, the Galaxy defender – so crucial to Los Angeles’s chances this postseason – deserves strong committee consideration after this right elbow landed flush on San Jose’s Steven Lenhart in the 41st minute of last night’s game in Santa Clara:

The angle at 0:23 is especially telling. You can see Gonzalez’s elbow come up and nail Lenhart flush across the nose. The most concerning part of the action: The location of Gonzalez’s arm before he elevates. His arm is extended and bent in front of his chest. As he elevates, Gonzalez throws his elbow back, striking Lenhart.

It’s not exactly the most natural jumping motion.

Before talking about the Disciplinary Committee, lets consider referee Kevin Stott, who produced a yellow card on the play. How do you see that challenge, adjudicate it a foul, and not issue red? We often see players dismissed to merely leading with an elbow on aerial challenges. This was more than leading. This was swinging.

Was the swing intentional? Accidental? If the league’s Disciplinary Committee looks at the incident, that might effect a potential punishment’s weight, though it’s difficult to dissociate Gonzalez’s recent comments about Lenhart from Wednesday’s incident. Gonzalez’s recently called Lenhart “the biggest bastard in the league.” Those comments make it difficult to give him the benefit of the doubt.

That’s not to say the Disciplinary Committee will come down on last year’s Defender of the Year. Although any review will be handled the same way it was in the regular season, taking a playoff game away from somebody may require a special threshold. In the regular season, the committee may hand out punishment as a message, hoping to provide a deterrent to future actions. You want to be doing more than message-sending come playoff time.

To us, the foul clearly meets that special threshold, so you’ll forgive us for indulging in a piece of wild speculation: If Gonzalez does miss Sunday’s Western Conference final first leg, how much of an effect will that have on the series?

Given how important Gonzalez has been to LA’s defense since returning mid-season, the effect could be huge. Gonzalez is the man tasked with organizing the defense, and in situations where the Galaxy can control who’s marking whom, Gonzalez gets the more difficult assignment. That means he’d be the man tasked with stopping Real Salt Lake’s Alvaro Saborio. He’d be the man taksed with stopping Seattle’s Eddie Johnson. Particularly with A.J. DeLaGarza out, it’s hard to see how LA picks up the slack.

No matter how you look at it, the elbow was (to use a euphemism) highly ill-advised. At best, Gonzalez concedes a foul in a dangerous space while his team’s trying to protect a lead. A more likely scenario sees his team reduced to 10 with 49 minutes left in an elimination game. Worst case: Gonzalez gets suspended.

Now we wait and see if MLS will have their say.

Juve’s Kean could leave club over tractor dispute

Photo by Mario Carlini / Iguana Press/Getty Images
Leave a comment

No tractors, no teenager.

Moise Kean, 17, broke into the Juventus senior team last season with a trio of Serie A appearances that concluded with a goal against Bologna on May 27.

He also made a token appearance in the UEFA Champions League against Sevilla, which all-in-all is a pretty solid debut for the century’s first birth to make an appearance in a Top Five league in Europe.

[ MORE: Fabinho has interest in Man Utd ]

About that contract, though.

Kean’s father, Biorou, says Juventus has broken a contractual promise to his family, and that could send the teenager into the transfer market. Biorou says that his son’s 18th birthday — Feb. 28, 2018 — could trigger Moise Kean leave town as “an adult.”

From Sky Sports:

“Juventus offered a contract of €700,000-a-year, which was fine, but the problem is they had also promised me some tractors for my agricultural business in the Ivory Coast, but now they say there is no budget for them.

“I own several hectares of land in the Ivory Coast which I would like to cultivate with rice and corn. I’m an agronomist. I asked for agricultural materials and they told me “no problem.”

Now, though, those tractors are not in the Ivory Coast, and Biorou claims that he never signed a contract with agent Mino Raiola. It all sets the table for further complains and a transfer, so it’s worth keeping an eye on this odd saga.

FIFA takes no further action on Mexico-New Zealand clashes

AP Photo/Martin Meissner
Leave a comment

ST. PETERSBURG, Russia (AP) FIFA will not intervene after reviewing two volatile clashes between New Zealand and Mexico players and coaches.

FIFA says “it has been verified that there are no grounds for any disciplinary action to be taken.”

Tempers flared in a running brawl late in Mexico’s 2-1 comeback win on Wednesday in Sochi.

[ MORE: Fabinho has interest in Man Utd ]

Three players were shown yellow cards after match officials paused the game to review video.

Replays showed at least one other player went unpunished after running into the melee to strike an opponent in the head.

In the first half, Mexico coach Juan Carlos Osorio was caught on the TV broadcast aiming a verbal obscenity at New Zealand coaching staff.

Osorio later apologized for the profanity provoked when New Zealand continued an attack as a Mexico player appeared injured.

Fabinho admits interest in Manchester United

Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images
Leave a comment

If even a fraction of this summer’s transfer interest is real, Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has taken every precaution against his biggest 2017 enemy: scheduled congestion.

Mourinho was a regular critic of United’s schedule last season in the run-up to its UEFA Europa League title win over Ajax, and is building his roster up for the UEFA Champions League.

[ MORE: Saief completes USMNT switch ]

The manager already had plenty of attacking options, and has added Victor Lindelof to his stable of defenders while reportedly flirting with PSG’s Marquinhos, too. Defensive midfielder Nemanja Matic is also a reported target (as are half of the world’s elite footballers).

And now, a wry smile from Monaco’s Fabinho hints that Mourinho may be making progress with another target.

‘‘It’s a tempting invitation. … I would first talk to my agent, Monaco too, to decide everything right. But it’s a great club, sure enough I would think well about it.”

Fabinho played mostly right back in 2014-15 before splitting time between that position and defensive midfielder the following year and seeing most of his time at CDM last season. Mourinho has lavished praise and given a contract extension to right back Antonio Valencia and has Ander Herrera, Michael Carrick, and Paul Pogba at CDM (though the latter can certainly operate higher up the field).

Chinese clubs to pay 100% tax on foreign transfers

Photo by Visual China/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The days of Chinese Super League sides spending eye-popping figures on a handful of international superstars are over — either that, or those figures are about to double — for now, at least.

[ MORE: Oscar given 8-game ban for petulant display in China ]

China’s Football Association announced Thursday that, effective immediately, any foreign player signed for a fee exceeding $6.63 million would be subject to a 100-percent tax on top of the fee paid to acquire the player. The tax will remain in effect until the end of China’s ongoing transfer window, July 14. The tax will also apply to Chinese players signed for a fee exceeding $3 million.

It’s Chinese authorities’ latest attempt to prevent big spending by CSL clubs, which has in every instance been detrimental to the development of young Chinese players making their way through the academy system. The taxed money will then be reinvested in “youth training, construction of public sporting facilities and scientific progress in football development,” according to a statement by the CFA.

Just last week, China was eliminated from contention to qualify for next summer’s World Cup in Russia. The only time China has ever qualified for the World Cup was in 2002.