New England Revolution v Montreal Impact

What’s next for Benny Feilhaber?

Leave a comment

Last year’s move back to Major League Soccer was supposed to reignite Benny Feilhaber’s career. Instead, the 27-year-old midfielder is out of a job, with the New England Revolution having declined the 2013 option on the former U.S. international’s contract.

New England beat man Kyle McCarthy confirmed the news today, also noting that New England will retain the rights to the former Hamburg, Derby, and Aarhus player. Put two and two together and Feilhaber, who had a salary of $400,000 in 2012, is a strong candidate to return to Europe.

Over the course of two seasons in New England, Feilhaber made 52 appearances, posting five goals and nine assists. The numbers do a good job of approximating his contributions. At times (albeit infrequently), Feilhaber was New England’s best player. At others, he failed to make an impact, and after being tried both wide and in the middle, Feilhaber finished 2013 season without a clear role in Jay Heaps’ side.

Feilhaber’s best known for his contributions to Bob Bradley’s U.S. Men’s National Teams where he held down a super sub’s role prior to the arrival of Jurgen Klinsmann. Since, Feilhaber’s been a non-factor internationally, currently stuck on 39 caps. While many hoped a move out of the Austrian second division would boost the former UCLA Bruin’s national team hopes, his career has stalled.

Now it’s unclear what Feilhaber can do. In the U.S., he is respected for what he brought to the national team, contributions he was able to leverage to hook up with New England. Abroad, there might be some interest from an Aarhus-esque club in Denmark, but with two decent years in New England as the last lines on his resume, his best-case scenario seems a trade within MLS. Else, it’s take what he can get abroad.

There’s no shortage of MLS clubs that could use a Feilhaber. At his best, he can contribute for anybody. The money, however, is an issue. Feilhaber will need to take a significant step back in compensation to make sense for any Major League Soccer team.

“Overweight” Costa comes to Mourinho’s defense

Diego Costa, Chelsea FC
Leave a comment

Diego Costa says he and his Chelsea teammates are to blame for Chelsea’s horrid start to the 2015-16 Premier League season.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Speaking Thursday, during a bit of downtime over the current international break (Costa was left out of Vicente del Bosque’s squad for Spain’s final two EURO 2016 qualifiers this week), Costa placed the majority of blame at the feet of the entire team, but went on to most harshly critique himself for coming into the season unfocused and “overweight.”

Costa, on his lack of fitness and form to begin the season — quotes from the Guardian:

“We know we’re not in the form we were supposed to be at the beginning of the season. We need to blame the players because we came back from holiday very confident, thinking we could go back into how it was last season, and then realized the team was already in a bad situation.

“I’m going to be very honest: maybe a few weeks ago, five or six weeks ago, I was not on top of my game. At least physically. We talk within the players and we know that, maybe at the beginning, we were not 100 percent as we were supposed to be when we got here. I got injured at the end of last season and then I went on holiday. Maybe I got out of my diet and, when I came back, I was not the way I was supposed to be. I was a little bit overweight. That affected my game. You can be selfish and blame it on the manager but I’m not going to do that. I’m responsible 100%, and so are the other guys.

Given that Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho said on Thursday he doesn’t quite know what’s wrong with the defending Premier League champions, hearing someone — anyone — speak up and explain the club’s worst start to a season in 37 years will surely be a welcome sound to any Blues supporter’s ears.

[ MORE: Liverpool appoint Klopp as manager | Allardyce to Sunderland? ]

Costa, who is eligible to return from suspension next weekend when Aston Villa visit Stamford Bridge, has scored just one goal in league play this season (six appearances) after scoring 20 in 26 games last season.

Sam Allardyce to open talks with Sunderland

Sam Allardyce, West Ham United FC
1 Comment

Now that Liverpool have selected and named their new manager, it appears Sunderland are finally ready to move forward with their own managerial search. (That’s clearly a joke, because it implies Liverpool and Sunderland ever duke it out for the same managerial candidate.)

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Anyway, the Black Cats will have to hire someone to replace the recently-departed Dick Advocaat at some point. We all knew that, despite the fact he’s probably earned a shot at that level, Bob Bradley was never really going to be considered for the job. With that in mind, if you’re not going to endear yourself to the entire United States of America with this hire, you might as well go for the best unemployed manager who’ll actually consider your approach.

That’s what Sunderland chairman Ellis Short appears to have done, as it was reported Thursday that despite an initial reluctance from Sam Allardyce — let’s be honest, he actually was holding out hope for the Liverpool job — the 60-year-old most recently in charge of West Ham United was willing and ready to enter into negotiations with the northeastern club.

One of the major sticking points during Sunderland’s courting of Allardyce is expected to be his demand for autonomy in the transfer market as well as a sizable transfer budget to sign his own players during the January window.

[ MORE: Advocaat: Sunderland squad too thin, chairman to blame ]

Allardyce seems like the no. 1 guy you’d like to bring in to steady a capsized ship — cough Sunderland cough — in any situation. Not only does he have a successful track record in the Premier League, but he’s the kind of no-nonsense leader a club like Sunderland so desperately needs as they find themselves in yet another relegation battle just eight games into the new season.

Short hopes to have Allardyce signed, sealed and delivered when the Premier League returns to action next weekend. In that event, Allardyce’s first game in charge of Sunderland would be a trip to West Bromwich Albion. His first home fixture? Home to Tyne-Wear derby rivals Newcastle United, a club whose boisterous fanbase still holds a great deal of disdain for Big Sam. Sometimes the football gods really are looking out for us.