Heard and overheard at MLS Cup 2012

7 Comments

Frank Lampard to the Galaxy? Not so much

Word from those who know say any media types still peddling the Frank Lampard to Galaxy story need to tap the brakes.

The Galaxy, says one source, has very little interest.

Kaka? Yes, for sure. AEG president Tim Leiweke is on the record about that one. But the Lampard thing seems to have grown a pair of false legs.

They clubs was, on the other hand, very interested earlier this year in Giovani dos Santos and Didier Drogba, the source said, as MLS held substantive talks with representatives of both.

The Galaxy was willing to go up to $9 million a year for Drogba … which just wasn’t going to trump the ridiculous $15 million he’s earning in China.

Josh Saunders out at Galaxy?

We all saw Galaxy goalkeeper Josh Saunders more or less evaporate on the goal line Saturday as Calen Carr slammed the Houston Dynamo into the lead. It was hardly Saunders’ best moment, and it probably will drive home the final, proverbial nail. Word is that the Galaxy are finished with Saunders, who missed time this year while in the league’s substance abuse treatment program.

Word is that the Galaxy would really like to find a way to grab Dan Kennedy from down the Home Depot Center hall. Chivas USA’s besieged goalkeeper may not fit the new profile for the Goats. Or maybe he will – who really knows with that mess of a club? This much is certain: if the Galaxy could pull off this one, it would be a true coup. (And a pretty doggone good deal for Kennedy, too, who would fall break ties with the league’s wackiest, most unstable team for a spot with the two-time defending champs.)

“One … million … dollars”

We all raised eyebrows at the thought of Chris Wondolowski’s seemingly out-sized demands of $1 million.

Word is that it never happened. Not even close.

Wondolowski made $300,000 last year, certainly underpaid for a league MVP, and a record-setting one at that. But credit the man for more awareness; he may want to be a Designated Player, but he understands that he would be more in line with a Fredy Montero or Eric Hassli, DP forwards earning base salaries of somewhere north of $500,000.

(MORE: Will MLS add a little more Designated Player money?)

Bruce Arena showed up … where?

I have never quite decided if Bruce Arena loves to hate the media … or if he just enjoys poking the media bear, and also enjoys a good joust.

Either way, Arena has never seemed to embrace that part of the American soccer coaching experience. He never seems to relish speaking to the media (which isn’t hard to understand considering all of the silly questions the man has endured through the years, especially a few years back before the media world evolved into a better place for soccer.)

Any-whose, it was downright shocking to see Arena show up Thursday at a media happy hour. He was jovial and seemed quite happy to be there.

The Galaxy will be going somewhere … soon

The Los Angeles Galaxy will not be sitting still. Very soon – by the end of the week, perhaps – they will be off on another check-cashing tour to some far-flung land. Not that this is a shocker; the Galaxy have done the same over the last couple of years. The surprise is why the club seems ever intent on making it a surprise. Look for an announcement in the next couple of days.

Red Bulls looking to “buy domestic”

The Red Bulls are moving and grooving on the personnel front. As I mentioned before, that’s dangerous, because they don’t have a coach. When player personnel strokes flow against the coaching grain, chances of success can fall dramatically.

At least the new sheriffs in town around Red Bull Arena seem to recognize their area of weakness – which is a deeper knowledge of where to find domestic talent, and a solid understanding of the MLS player personnel nitty-gritty. Word is that they truly are determined to hire someone that fits the bill – so previous reports to that effect weren’t just talk or misdirection. That’s encouraging if you’re a Red Bulls fan, that this administration may not face the same long learning curve the last one did.

That could be an American coach, and American assistant or it could be in the creation of position in between the manager and GM Andy Roxburgh.

CONCACAF: USMNT, Trinidad & Tobago seek first points of Hexagonal

Elsa/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Through two rounds of play in the Hexagonal, everything has gone according to plan for Mexico and Costa Rica.

Not so much though for the U.S. Men’s National Team.

[ MORE: Shorthanded USMNT hosts Honduras as WCQ resumes ]

While Los Ticos and El Tri currently sit in the top two positions of the final round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying, the U.S. is left at the bottom and faces a difficult match against Honduras when play resumes on Friday night.

[ MORE: Five questions for USMNT ahead of Honduras match ]

Mexico and Costa Rica will face off at the Estadio Azteca in the second of Friday’s three slated qualifiers, and while both nations surely expect to reach the World Cup in Russia, both CONCACAF heavyweights have the opportunity to put their stamp on the group.

For Costa Rica, a victory could potentially open up a five-point gap over El Tri, while a win for Mexico would bring Juan Carlos Osorio’s side the opportunity leap over their Central American foes.

Friday’s action will kick off at 7 p.m. though when third place Panama travels to Trinidad & Tobago, who seeks its first points of the Hex. Trinidad will be led by captain Kenwyne Jones of Atlanta United as well as Minnesota United midfielder Kevin Molino, with the duo scoring a combined 39 international goals for the Soca Warriors.

Below is the schedule and current table ahead of Friday’s CONCACAF matches as the region turns its attention to Matchday 3 of the Hexagonal.


Trinidad & Tobago vs. Panama — 7 p.m. ET

Mexico vs. Costa Rica — 9:50 p.m. ET

USMNT vs. Honduras — 10:30 p.m. ET (PREVIEW)


1. Costa Rica — 2-0-0 — 6 pts.
2. Mexico — 1-1-0 — 4 pts.
3. Panama — 1-1-0 — 4 pts.
4. Honduras — 1-0-1 — 3 pts.
5. Trinidad & Tobago — 0-0-2 — 0 pts.
6. USMNT — 0-0-2 — 0 pts.

Spurs allowed to play all home matches at Wembley next season

Michael Steele/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Tottenham was granted the right to play all of its home matches at Wembley Stadium for the 2017/18 season, but the club must now make a decision whether or not to remain at White Hart Lane for another year.

[ MORE: Man City weighing massive offer for Milan’s Donnarumma ]

The club’s application was granted on Thursday by Brent Council’s planning committee, giving Spurs the option to move into Wembley next season for all 27 home Premier League fixtures.

Spurs must decide if it will go ahead with that move though by March 31.

Tottenham continues to play at White Hart Lane while its new stadium, located next door to its current venue, is being constructed. The current plan is that the new venue will be open ahead of the 2019/2020 campaign, but the club is said to be weighing all of its options in the event that it could be ready for the 2018/19 season.

Prosecutors question Beckenbauer in World Cup fraud case

Boris Streubel/Getty Images
Leave a comment

BERN, Switzerland (AP) Swiss authorities say prosecutors have questioned Germany soccer great Franz Beckenbauer in their ongoing World Cup fraud case.

[ MORE: Shorthanded USMNT looks to build momentum vs. Honduras ]

Criminal proceedings against Beckenbauer and three other German members of the 2006 World Cup organizing committee were opened in 2015. The four are suspected of fraud, money laundering, criminal mismanagement, and misappropriation relating to a payment of 6.7 million euros ($7 million) to FIFA in 2005.

[ MORE: Five questions for USMNT ahead of Honduras WCQ ]

The Swiss attorney general’s office said in a statement to The Associated Press on Thursday that federal prosecutors questioned Beckenbauer earlier in the day in Bern, adding that “Beckenbauer was cooperative.”

Beckenbauer’s home in Austria was raided last year for evidence on behalf of Swiss federal prosecutors investigating corruption linked to FIFA.

Report: Man City launching massive bid for AC Milan’s Donnarumma

Maurizio Lagana/Getty Images
1 Comment

Gianluigi Donnarumma has quickly established himself as the best young goalkeeper in European soccer, and AC Milan won’t be letting the 18-year-old go without a pretty penny in return.

[ MORE: Schedule, preview for UEFA World Cup qualifying ]

According to Sky Sport Italia, Manchester City is preparing a massive bid in the range of $130 to $160 million to acquire the AC Milan shot-stopper as the English side’s goalkeeping situation is still unsettled.

The Citizens have failed to hunker down at the goalkeeper position this season despite spending big to bring in Barcelona’s Claudio Bravo, who has underperformed. Willy Caballero has also been shaky at times for the English giants, while on-loan keeper Joe Hart will almost certainly move on from the club over the summer.

Donnarumma is currently second in Serie A in saves (110), trailing only Crotone’s Alex Cordaz, who has stopped two more shots.

Since turning professional in 2015, Donnarumma has quickly enjoyed his rise through Italian football for both AC Milan and with the national team. After previously featuring for the Under-15, U-17 and U-21 sides, Donnarumma has established himself as the surefire replacement for Gianluigi Buffon once he retires from the international game.