The Attorney General Applies To Judges At The High Court To Quash The Original Hillsborough Inquest Verdicts

Panel’s ruling clears way for new Hillsborough investigation

Leave a comment

For years, “Justice for the 96” has served as a rallying cry for many touched by the 1989 Hillsborough Disaster. On Wednesday, that call came one step closer to becoming a reality.

A high court in England has thrown out the findings of a 1990 inquest which determined accidental death to be the main cause of 96 fatalities at Sheffield’s Hillsborough Stadium on April 15, 1989.

Today’s ruling clears the way for a new inquest to take place next year, one which will take into account new evidence published by (and since) the Hillsborough Independent Panel (HIP) September’s findings.

From the Guardian:

The lord chief justice said it was “inevitable” that the emergence of fresh evidence about how and why the 96 victims died made it “desirable and reasonable for a fresh inquest to be heard”.

“However distressing or unpalatable, the truth will be brought to light,” Lord Judge said. “In this way, the families of those who died in the disaster will be properly respected. Our earnest wish is the new inquest will not be delayed for a moment longer than necessary.”

The “fresh evidence” presented by the Panel — the basis for attorney general Dominic Grieve’s request to have the original findings quashed — found Liverpool fans were not responsible for the crush that led to the disaster.

Grieve also supplied new medical evidence showing 58 victims could have survived past a 3:15 p.m. cut-off point that constrained the original verdict. Imposed by the investigating coroner, the cut-off point (nine minutes after Liverpool and Nottingham Forest’s FA Cup semifinal was stopped) prevented the investigation from considering the police and medical response, both of which came under scrutiny by the HIP.

Grieve told the court that the new medical evidence from Dr Bill Kirkup and Professor Crane formed “the essential basis” for his application, meaning that the premise of the original inquest was unsustainable.

“The new medical evidence presented by the panel’s report leads to the conclusion that justice has not been done,” he said.

After today’s ruling, justice will get another chance. A new investigation will likely begin in the new year, one which will take into consideration the HIP’s findings as well as the evidence commissioned by Grieve in the wak of the panel’s findings.

“New inquests are the only way in which the families can learn the truth about the circumstances in which their relatives died,” said [Michael Mansfield, acting on behalf of the families of 63 of those killed in the disaster].

“As the attorney general also recognises, they are the only way in which the justifiable and widespread public concerns about the previous investigations into the tragedy can be allayed.”

But with each step this story takes toward the justice, we’re reminded of the last 22 years’ cruel absurdities. Thanks to Septembers findings, we know that years of complaints of police coverups and failures of emergency services were not only true but too often fell on deaf ears. Those ears have been opened now, but it has taken far too long.

Families of the victims have had to engage in a generation-long fight to merely get back to square one. But thanks to today’s ruling, they have that reset. Now, a new inquiry can begin.

VIDEO: Post-match melee breaks out between Spurs and Chelsea

Leave a comment

Tensions boiled over on the touchline after Chelsea’s 2-2 draw with Tottenham as players had to be separated while heading down the tunnel.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s Leicester City coverage ]

A testy match that saw referee Mark Clattenburg issue 12 yellow cards, the battle continued after the final whistle as a melee erupted in front of the benches.

It is unclear as to what caused the disruption, but it was not the first skirmish of the night. Earlier in the match, Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino found himself on the pitch in the middle of a shoving match between players.

[ VIDEO: Leicester pubs erupt as Foxes clinch Premier League title ]

Seen in the video above, Spurs’ backup goalkeeper Michel Vorm seemed to be in the middle of things with who else but Diego Costa. Harry Kane and John Terry tried to quiet things down, but to little avail.

There are only two matches left in the Premier League season, but the FA will certainly be reviewing video of this incident and sanctions could come down on players or the clubs.

Emotional Ranieri thanks former club Chelsea; set for incredible return

Leave a comment

LONDON — Am emotional Claudio Ranieri called Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink after their 2-2 draw against Tottenham Hotspur on Monday which sealed the title for Leicester City.

Ranieri, 64, was manager of Chelsea from 2000-4 and was a fan favorite at Stamford Bridge despite never winning a trophy. He was replaced by Jose Mourinho in 2004 but has remained in the hearts of Chelsea’s fans ever since.

[ MORE: Latest Leicester news after PL win ]  

On Monday that was clear.

The amiable Italian is a charming individual, a grandfather figure to most, and one Chelsea fan held up a sign which simply said: “Do it for Ranieri” and Chelsea fans sung his name and “Leicester, Champions!” as they reveled in Tottenham’s demise at the final whistle.

They won the league for Ranieri, as Chelsea rallied from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with Eden Hazard‘s stunning late goal sealing the title for Leicester.

Chelsea’s old boss flew back to Italy on Monday to spend time with his 96-year-old mother and on his return to Leicester and England he will lauded as a hero. His team will go down in history and so will he. Calls continue for him to be knighted by the Queen of England. It is highly likely he will be. He deserved it after masterminding the greatest Cinderella story in sporting history.

[ VIDEO: Fans react in Leicester to winning the PL ]

Here’s what Hiddink had to say on his phone call with Ranieri.

“I got a call from Claudio Ranieri and he thanked us, especially for the second half,” Hiddink revealed. “I congratulated him on being champion. His voice was trembling.”

Ranieri is an emotional man who has been welling up after recent wins and as the momentum continued. The tears will be flowing in the coming days and weeks as what he and his team have achieved starts to sink in.

In his first season as Leicester manager he has turned a 5000-1 shot and heavy favorite for relegation into the champions of the Premier League. Ranieri was the bookies’ favorite to get be the first PL manager to be fired at the start of the season.

Now he’s the manager who delivered the PL trophy in the most remarkable fashion imaginable. With, of course, a little help from his old club.

Want to know what makes this even better? Ranieri returns to his old club Chelsea on the final day and the Foxes will receive a guard of honor from last seasons champions, Chelsea.

Chelsea let him go in 2004 as owner Roman Arbamovich didn’t believe he could win the west London club the title.

Yeah, about that…

From League One to PL champion: Andy King has seen it all

LEICESTER, ENGLAND - MARCH 01: Andy King of Leicester City celebrates scoring his team's second goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Leicester City and West Bromwich Albion at The King Power Stadium on March 1, 2016 in Leicester, England.  (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Andy King has been through it all, and now he’s a Premier League champion.

With more than 300 appearances for Leicester, King never could have imagined being champions of England when he was playing with the Foxes in the third division just a few years ago.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s Leicester City coverage ]

King joined Leicester City’s academy as a 15-year-old, climbing the ladder from League One to the top of the Premier League.

Speaking to the BBC after clinching the title, an emotional King reflected on this achievement.

I thought I’d seen everything with this club, but I never thought I’d see this. It’s difficult to put into words. The players deserve it, the gaffer and the staff deserve it, and the fans deserve it. It’s been an unbelievable season.

The story of where this team has come from to get to this point has been all over the world recently and I think the lads deserve great credit for the way they’ve taken it in their stride, stayed focused and kept delivering results – especially with a great side like Spurs chasing us so hard. We’ve been so consistent and just determined not to let the opportunity pass us by. We deserve this.

King has only managed seven league starts this season, stuck behind standout performers N'Golo Kante and Danny Drinkwater. However, he has been an important player off the bench and a veteran presence in the dressing room, despite still being just 27-years-old.

King is the first player to win the League One, Championship, and Premier League titles all with the same club.

How Twitter reacted to Leicester City winning the Premier League title

Leave a comment

The party has started in the East Midlands as Leicester City are officially your 2015-16 Barclays Premier League Champions.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s Leicester City coverage ]

As the final whistle blew at Stamford Bridge to signal Leicester’s title, Twitter lit up with celebrations and congratulations from all over the world.

After 30 years in management, this is Claudio Ranieri‘s first top-flight title. While Ranieri celebrated in England, his former clubs from throughout Europe sent their congratulations to the manager and his team.

Roberto Mancini knows a thing or two about winning a Premier League title…

Even other Premier League clubs showed their respect for Leicester and their historic season.