It would appear that the Seattle Sounders striker is heading back to the American camp, at least according to Twitter and his frequent retweeting of congrats from fans.
If so, great. He deserves another run after an impressive year in Major League Soccer — Comeback Player Award controversy or not — and an excellent performance for the American squad in Antigua and Barbuda. Johnson, much to the surprise of pretty much everyone, proved he belongs somewhere in the Stars and Stripes player pool.
But why, oh why does he make it so difficult? The last time we went through this, he got in trouble for tweeting the news of his call before it could be announced. Is he really doing it again? Did he learn nothing?
Now look: I know he’s excited. (I would be.) And proud of how he’s come back. (And he should be.) And, yes, having to hold the news and the secrecy around who’s getting a call to camp is sort of ridiculous. So I get the reasons for tweeting something. I do. I really do.
But… this isn’t about Johnson. There are other people who need to be informed, other people who need to make the announcement, other people who need to do a lot of other things. There are many, many, many moving parts to making a national team camp happen. Johnson is just a small part of all of it. He needs to understand that and it seems he doesn’t.
In the grand scheme of things, it’s probably not a big deal. But at the same time, why do it? If your coach, your manager, your team doctor, anyone asks you not to spread the word, don’t spread the word. Is it really that complicated?
Mario Balotelli could soon have a new home, according to the BBC’s Phil McNulty.
The mercurial Italian striker, 26, has one league goal in each of his last two seasons (spent between Liverpool and AC Milan).
Jurgen Klopp is ready for Balotelli to find a home away from Anfield and McNulty says that place could be OGC Nice, where he’d join newly-signed ex-Bayern man Dante. Balotelli also had talks with Sion in Switzerland, according to the report.
The striker was a blazing hot commodity after scoring 17 goals for Manchester City in 2011-12, and again after netting 18 for AC Milan in 2013-14.
Balotelli has 13 goals in 33 caps for Italy, but hasn’t appeared for the national team since 2014.
After months and months of trying to land a big name striker, it seems West Ham has done just that.
David Amoyal of DiMarzio says that Juventus striker Simone Zaza is on his way to the London Stadium for a medical which will seal a $32 million transfer to West Ham.
[ MORE: Chelsea adds EURO champion ]
Zaza, 25, made his name as Sassuolo before moving to Juve last season, and forced his way into the national team. He has 14 caps with one goal, but is perhaps better remembered at this point for missing a penalty — with a creative run-up — in Italy’s final EURO game.
The striker had been linked with West Ham as far back as this time last season.
This move should help insure the Hammers avoid too many goalless outcome moving forward, even with Andy Carroll and Andre Ayew out for a while.
That’ll be music to Slaven Bilic‘s ears. The manager said, “The disappointment is massive” after his side couldn’t break down Astra Giurgiu and dropped out of the UEFA Europa League on Thursday.
Chelsea have added some depth at the very back.
Eduardo’s the name, and the 33-year-old Portuguese backstop arrives at Stamford Bridge with a decent resume, having been on the roster for his country’s EURO 2016 triumph.
[ MORE: Stambouli, Bentaleb reunited ]
USMNT fans will remember him from his time between the sticks for Portugal at the 2014 World Cup. He has 35 caps, and has been with Dinamo Zagreb since 2014.
‘All the colleagues I have always say the dream is to come to the Premier League, where there are the best clubs and the best players, and the opportunity to come here arrived at this moment.
‘I am happy to be here and I hope I meet the expectations people have for me.’
Eduardo certainly won’t be taking over for Thibaut Courtois, but will definitely provide competition for No. 2 Asmir Begovic.
West Ham dominated the game but not the score line against Romanian side Astra Giurgiu, who advanced to the UEFA Europa League group stage with a 1-0 win at London Stadium on Thursday.
Well-traveled French midfielder Filipe Teixeira did the damage for Astra Giurgiu, as the former West Brom and Barnsley man scored in the 45th minute to give the visitors a 2-1 lead on aggregate after the sides went 1-1 in Romania last week.
The Irons carried possession and a wealth of shots, but couldn’t find their way past Romanian international goalkeeper Silviu Lung, Jr.
[ MORE: Stambouli, Bentaleb reunited at Schalke ]
Sassuolo star Domenico Berardi scored in a 1-1 draw with Red Star Belgrade, completing a 4-1 score line.
Elsewhere, a hat trick from Slovan Liberec’s Jan Sykora led the Czech side to a 3-0 second leg win, and 4-0 aggregate defeat of Cypriot side AEK Larnaca.
Gent got a pair of goals from giant Malian striker Kalifa Coulibaly as the Belgians completed a 6-1 aggregate win over Shkendija.
West Ham United 0-1 (agg. 1-2) Astra Giurgiu
Astana 2-2 (agg. 4-2) BATE Borisov
Arouca 1-2 (agg. 1-3) Olympiacos
Midtjylland 0-3 (agg. 0-4) Osmanlispor
Trencin 2-0 (agg. 0-4) Rapid Wien
Lokomotiva 0-2 (agg. 2-4) Genk
AEK Larnaca 0-3 (agg. 0-4) Slovan Liberec
Dinamo Tbilisi 0-2 (agg. 0-5) PAOK
Austria Wien 2-1 (agg. 4-2) Rosenborg
Beitar Jerusalem 0-0 (agg. 1-2) Saint-Etienne
Vojvodina 0-0 (agg. 0-3) AZ Alkmaar
Gabala 0-1 (agg. 3-2) Maribor
Slavia Prague 0-3 (agg. 0-6) Anderlecht
Fenerbahce 2-0 (agg. 3-0) Grasshopper
Panathinaikos 1-1 (agg. 4-1) Brondby
Krasnodar 0-0 (agg. 4-0) Partizani Tirana
Gent 4-0 (agg. 6-1) Shkendija
Istanbul Basaksehir 0-2 (agg. 1-4) Shakhtar Donetsk
SonderjyskE 2-3 (agg. 2-3) Sparta Prague
Sassuolo 1-1 (agg. 4-1) Red Star Belgrade
Goteborg 0-3 (agg. 1-3) Qarabag
Maccabi Tel Aviv 1-2 (agg. 3-3) Hajduk Split