Tottenham Hotspur v  New York Red Bulls

In case you were worried about Tim Cahill or Robbie Keane getting pulled into the QPR mire …

1 Comment

Resurrection specialist Harry Redknapp, who still has his work cut out at relegation-threatened Queens Park Rangers despite this week’s encouraging result, has ruled out a chase for two prominent MLS men.

Loan rumors have been long and strong on LA Galaxy forward Robbie Keane and (to a slightly lesser extent) Red Bulls forward Tim Cahill. Both are former EPL men.

Either one could presumably assist the cause around Loftus Road, where QPR remains in last place, never mind having spent liberally in the summer transfer window, hoping to be a real player in the high-dollar EPL stakes. Instead, they are fighting to avoid a notorious drop.

(MORE: Center back Ryan Nelsen seems on the move out of Loftus Road)

This week’s shocking win at nearby Chelsea has provided fresh hope, and Redknapp will make his best effort to police up a couple of helpers from the transfer market.  But the Red Bulls striker and Galaxy striker won’t be in the manager’s plans. That’s what he told British press on Friday:

Of course, Redknapp is saying what all of us have said for weeks, that the MLS off-season is so short that these loan deals don’t seem to make much sense. And short of some temporary salary relief, the MLS clubs aren’t getting much out of these deals.

Still, it lands with greater impact when someone like Redknapp says … :

They are both top players but it will only be a short- term loan and that’s the problem. You take them for just six weeks but then you lose them at a time when you still have another 10-12 games to stay up. They’d improve any team but I’m not close to doing anything with them.”

Report: Manchester City makes final bid for John Stones

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 16:  Diego Costa of Chelsea and John Stones of Everton compete for the ball during the Barclays Premier League match between Chelsea and Everton at Stamford Bridge on January 16, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Take it or leave it.

Manchester City has made a final push for Everton defender John Stones, and has set its last offer at $52 million. Last month, the Citizens made the same exact bid for the 22-year-old, which was rejected by Everton.

[ MORE: Italian legend Christian Vieri looks to join Chinese Super League ]

City is said to be looking to avoid overpaying for Stones, after compensating Porto over $55 million for centerback Eliaquim Mangala two years ago.

While Stones has gone on record saying that he wants to play for manager Pep Guardiola at the Etihad Stadium, it remains to be seen if Everton will part ways with its prized defender.

NASL weekend preview: Rayo OKC faces stiff test against Minnesota

rayo okc
Leave a comment

Following a midweek loss against FC Edmonton, the New York Cosmos will try to rebound at home against Puerto Rico FC.

The Cosmos currently have two losses during the Fall Season, having conceded 10 goals in six matches, which is the second-most in NASL.

[ MORE: MLS weekend preview ]

With no unbeatens remaining, Spring Season champion Indy Eleven looks to keep its place near the top of the table against Miami FC.

Minnesota United looks to build off of its strong start against league leaders Rayo OKC, with the two teams separated by a mere two points.

Meanwhile, the Fort Lauderdale Strikers continue to search for their first win of the Fall Season against the struggling Jacksonville Armada.

Saturday

New York Cosmos vs. Puerto Rico FC

Ottawa Fury vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies

Fort Lauderdale Strikers vs. Jacksonville Armada

Miami FC vs. Indy Eleven

Rayo OKC vs. Minnesota United

Sunday

FC Edmonton vs. Carolina RailHawks

Liverpool keeper Karius to miss two months

MEYRIN, SWITZERLAND - JULY 22:   Loris Karius of 1. FSV Mainz 05 in action during the pre-season friendly match between 1. FSV Mainz 05 and AS Monaco at Stade des Arberes on July 22, 2015 in Meyrin, Switzerland.  (Photo by Harold Cunningham/Getty Images)
Harold Cunningham/Getty Images
Leave a comment

He was tabbed to be Liverpool’s opening day starter in goal, but Loris Karius could now miss the first two months of the Premier League season after suffering a hand injury in Wednesday’s International Champions Cup loss against Chelsea.

[ MORE: Real looking at Sissoko, Verratti as midfield options ]

The 23-year-old was brought to the Reds this summer from Bundesliga side Mainz for over $6 million.

Karius opted not to represent Germany at next month’s Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in order to avoid missing any game action with Liverpool. Unfortunately, the young keeper will now likely miss between eight and 10 weeks.

Italian legend Christian Vieri looks to make comeback

ROME, ITALY - OCTOBER 19:  Christian Vieri poses with the UEFA Champions League Trophy during the UEFA Champions League Trophy Tour 2012/13 on October 19, 2012 in Rome, Italy.  (Photo by Paolo Bruno/Getty Images for UEFA)
Paolo Bruno/Getty Images for UEFA
Leave a comment

His career ended over seven years ago, but former Italy international Christian Vieri is looking to make an improbable comeback in a country that continues to attract big stars.

The 43-year-old Vieri is reportedly coming out of retirement to join the Chinese Super League, and posted a video on Twitter confirming his plans.

Last playing in 2009, Vieri finished his career where it began — in Italy — with Atalanta. During his career, the striker played for 10 clubs in his native country, while also spending time in Spain and France with Atletico Madrid and Monaco, respectively.

Vieri made his name with Inter Milan, where he recorded six straight seasons with double-digit goals. At the height of his career with Internazionale, Vieri netted 27 times across all competitions during the 2002/03 season.