Keane head shot

Two more years: Keane confirms contract extension with LA Galaxy


A skeptic that points to Robbie Keane’s age as reason to be wary of re-signing the Ireland international must not have watched enough Galaxy games last season. With 16 goals in 28 games (and an even stronger showing in the playoffs), Keane put in a MLS Best XI season, with many lauding him as the league’s best player after his return from the summer’s European Championships.

That’s why, even at 32 years old with one year remaining on his previous Galaxy deal, Keane’s contract extension is more likely to be a point of applause than concern, especially with David Beckham’s silhouette shrinking in the sunset (and Landon Donovan threatening to follow).

Yesterday on Sky Sports, Keane confirmed his new deal, saying the extension had been offered at the end of the season, and as of two days ago, he’s signed it.

“I had another year left and they offered me a new contract at the end of last season so I’ve just signed a new two-year contract two days ago.”

Obviously, this is good news for Galaxy and fans, though Keane’s age shouldn’t be completely discounted. By the end of this deal, he’ll be five months past his 35th birthday. There’s room for Keane to regress a little and still be worth his Designated Player slot, but there’s also the possibility Keane will have to start making adjustments as he enters the last phase of his career. How effective he is at accounting for those additional years will dictate whether the final season of this extension proves worth it.

Regardless, this deal was a must for the Galaxy. With only one year left on Keane’s deal, now was the time to re-up. Even with the risk, two years is the perfect length.

Keane also downplayed the likelihood he’ll be playing elsewhere this winter, saying fitness and a long year make rest a priority:

“It’s been a long season, with the Euros and what have you so I’ve a few little niggles that need to be sorted out so I don’t think at this moment in time it would be right for me to go anywhere.”

Again, this is good news for Los Angeles. With Donovan still not guaranteed to be with the team at the beginning of training camp. having an attacking focal point in the team from day one should help the Galaxy as they try to avoid last year’s slow start.

Sergio Aguero expects to miss a month with hamstring injury

Sergio Aguero
Leave a comment

After scoring five goals against Newcastle United, Sergio Aguero may have to wait a bit of time to get back to scoring in the Premier League.

The Manchester City striker lasted just 25 minutes in Argentina’s World Cup qualifier on Thursday, as he was stretchered off with a hamstring injury. 

Aguero underwent testing in Argentina, and told the local media “I think I’m going to be out for a month.”

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

Manchester City and Argentina teammate Nicolas Otamendi said Aguero was in tears in the dressing room, and some reports have penned the injury as a torn hamstring.

If Aguero were to be ruled out for a month, he would miss City’s Champions League clash vs. Sevilla, as well as the massive Manchester derby away at United on October 25.

To make matters worse for City supporters, David Silva was forced off after just ten minutes while playing for Spain today. Silva took a harsh challenge from behind, and hobbled off with what looked to be an ankle injury. If Silva’s injury ends up being more than just a knock, City could be without their two most important players in the attack.

Bayern Munich’s Mario Gotze out 10-12 weeks with groin injury

SHANGHAI, CHINA - JULY 21:  Mario Goetze of FC Bayern Muenchen in action during the international friendly match between FC Bayern Muenchen and Inter Milan of the Audi Football Summit 2015 at Shanghai Stadium on July 21, 2015 in Shanghai, China.  (Photo by Lintao Zhang/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mario Gotze could be out of action until 2016 after picking up a groin injury on international duty.

The Bayern Munich midfielder suffered a tendon tear in his abductor muscle while stretching for a ball in Germany’s 1-0 loss to Ireland in EURO qualifiers on Thursday. He was taken off in the 35th minute.

Ruled out for 10-12 weeks, Gotze is likely to miss the rest of the first half of the season for Bayern. Their last league match of 2015 is on December 19, which is 11 weeks away. The Bundesliga then goes on winter break, with Bayern’s next match not until January 23.

[ RELATED: Sam Allardyce appointed Sunderland boss ]

Gotze will miss both of Bayern’s upcoming Champions League matches against Arsenal, which is good news for the Gunners as they are in desperate need of a result.

However, Arjen Robben is back in training and will make his return to action within the coming weeks. After starting the Bundesliga seasons with eight wins out of eight, Robben’s return would add just another weapon to Pep Guardiola’s dominant attack.

Robben has not played since being injured in early September while playing for the Netherlands, and could feature for Bayern against Werder Bremen next week.