DC United v New York Red Bulls

Where are the surprises on U.S. January camp roster?

2 Comments

What is important to remember in considering the selections named Sunday for the national team’s annual January camp was a little droplet of distinction we told you last week.

Past January camps were largely used to introduce new talent into the U.S. player pool. Coaches got a long look-see over two or three weeks, and players learned more about the speed of thought, speed and play and general demands of the international game.

This time around, with final round World Cup qualifying so near, and with a busy summer ahead that will necessitate reaching deeply into the player pool, the camp roster more accurately reflects the true depth chart.

(MORE: Opportunity factor high for Omar Gonzalez)

(MORE: Landon Donovan not on U.S. roster)

Generally, we are told, these are the 25 healthy bodies who would be called when the very front line men playing abroad (the obvious ones, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Tim Howard, etc.) are not available.

With that in mind, here quickly are the surprises:

  • Interesting to see Philadelphia’s Jeff Parke get a call. He was in last year’s camp, so that’s not the surprising part. Rather, it’s that he has remained ahead of FC Dallas’ George John, who was called into last year’s camp but was pulled out immediately when a loan to West Ham.
  • Incidentally, the Union says Parke is the first active player for the club to be called into a U.S. national team camp.
  • Benny Feilhaber’s inclusion was something of a surprise. Not because he doesn’t have the talent, but simply because he became something of a forgotten man in 2012. After starting the first match last year for Klinsmann, we never heard from the playmaking midfielder again on the national team. Later in the summer, he lost his starting spot in New England – again, not due to flagging talent. So, there is clearly an opportunity here for a Feilhaber “do over.” He had better keep his head down, work hard and take advantage.
  • Looking at the goalkeepers, you’d have to think this is where Klinsmann is using the camp for some initial inspections. Otherwise, Nick Rimando would be in California today.
  • If the RSL man has somehow slipped on the depth chart, then you might wonder if Tally Hall, at age 27, is now the third U.S. goalkeeper, ahead of the much younger Bill Hamid and Sean Johnson?
  • Steven Beitashour, Justin Morrow, Tony Beltran and Connor Lade (pictured) are all outside backs and all national team newbies – although all deserving of closer inspection. On the other hand, Heath Pearce and Zach Loyd, each of whom started a game at left back last January, have apparently been lapped.
  • Same for Jeff Larentowicz and Ricardo Clark; they both started one of the two January matches a year back, but neither made the 25-man camp this time around.
  • Eight players among the 25 are uncapped at full international level: Hall, Beitashour, Morrow, Beltran, Lade, Matt Besler, Will Bruin and Alfredo Morales.
  • Considering his poor season with the LA Galaxy, you’d have to consider Edson Buddle’s inclusion a surprise. Buddle had three goals in 2012 – or 15 fewer than New York’s Kenny Cooper, who did not receive a call-up. You’d have to think Buddle’s name would not be on the list if  D.C. United’s Chris Pontius was healthy at the moment.

Kasper Schmeichel wants to play for Denmark 6 days after hernia surgery

LEICESTER, ENGLAND - AUGUST 27: Kasper Schmeichel of Leicester City in action during the Premier League match between Leicester City and Swansea City at The King Power Stadium on August 27, 2016 in Leicester, England.  (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Former Manchester United goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel was tough, but his son might be tougher.

Leicester City shot-stopper Kasper Schmeichel had hernia surgery earlier Monday, and while that seems like it would sideline him for some time, apparently not.

The 29-year-old tweeted from the hospital bed that he is aiming for a return on Sunday – just six days removed from surgery – when his native Denmark takes on Armenia in World Cup qualification.

That’s…ambitious. Not surprising though, given the ambition Leicester City showed last season stunning everyone to win the title.

Schmeichel was injured against Swansea on Saturday in Premier League play when he made a clearance and came up notably uncomfortable. He was replaced in the 57th minute by new Foxes signing Ron-Robert Zieler. According to manager Claudio Ranieri, the club had already planned surgery for this problem even before Saturday’s flare-up due to the recurring nature of the problem.

Sadly, the Wednesday’s friendly against Liechtenstein comes a little too soon for Schmeichel. It will be the first international match he will miss since March of 2015. We’ll give him a pass, considering most of us would still be in post-op then.

Report: Zardes injury is serious, broken foot could end his season

SEATTLE, WA - JUNE 16:  Gyasi Zardes #9 of the United States dribbles against Jefferson Montero #7 of Ecuador during the 2016 Quarterfinal - Copa America Centenario match at CenturyLink Field on June 16, 2016 in Seattle, Washington. The United States beat Ecuador 2-1.  (Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

According to Goal.com’s Ives Galarcep, the injury that forced Gyasi Zardes to withdraw from USMNT consideration for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers is serious and could have much larger consequences.

Zardes reportedly suffered a broken right foot, and could not just miss the rest of the 2016 MLS season, but the rest of the calendar year, ruling him out of not just the two upcoming matches, but also the beginning of the Hexagonal in November should the U.S. advance to the next round.

The 24-year-old was injured just after halftime in an MLS match against Vancouver on Saturday, when he was brought down by Kendall Watson. It’s hard to see in full-speed what happens, but upon closer inspection, it appears that Watson’s follow-through catches the inside of Zardes’s right foot. He continued to play but looked less than healthy when he was finally substituted off in the 87th minute.

Zardes has been a rare youthful yet important cog in the USMNT machine the past few years. He played every minute of the Copa America run to the 3rd place match, and he has missed just two matches since making his debut in January of 2015, giving him 31 caps already despite a debut just 19 months ago.

The injury is also a serious blow for the LA Galaxy. Zardes had come onto the field in the 31st minute to replace an injured Steven Gerrard, and in-form defender Jelle van Damme had also departed the match with a knee ligament injury which will see him miss 2-3 weeks.

Michail Antonio thought he was being pranked when he got his England call-up

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - AUGUST 28:  Michail Antonio of West Ham during the Premier League match between Manchester City and West Ham at Etihad Stadium on August 28, 2016 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Gareth Copley/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

Many were surprised when they saw West Ham winger Michail Antonio on Sam Allardyce‘s first England squad list.

Including Michail Antonio.

In fact, Antonio admitted he thought he was being pranked, or at the very least, the butt of a joke. Then he saw the proof, and began to get emotional.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights

Speaking with the official England Instagram account, Antonio said, “So literally I’ve done an interview at the end of the game [West Ham’s 3-1 loss to Manchester City on Sunday] and then I’ve come in and the physio’s come over to me and gone ‘you’ve been called up.’ I was like ‘haha funny’ and he’s gone ‘no no seriously’ and I was like ‘good banter!'”

[ MORE: West Ham falls to Manchester City 3-1 ]

The 26-year-old said he stared at the physio for a good 30 seconds before he was shown the official paper, at which point he began “welling up.” The water works came soon after. “So I gave my missus a call, obviously she doesn’t pick up. And then I just got myself mentally ready and waited for it to come out.”

Antonio has two goals in three Premier League games this season, although he struggled in West Ham’s season opener against Chelsea when forced to deputize at right-back. The London-born winger has never played under Allardyce, having joined the Hammers just a few months after Big Sam’s departure from West Ham.

Earthquakes fire longtime general manager John Doyle

SANTA CLARA, CA - AUGUST 25: San Jose Earthquakes owner, John Doyle announces the San Jose Earthquakes new stadium ground breaking set for October 21st 2012 before the game between the Colorado Rapids and the San Jose Earthquakes at Buck Shaw Stadium on August 25, 2012 in Santa Clara, California. (Photo by Tony Medina/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — The San Jose Earthquakes fired longtime general manager John Doyle on Monday, replacing him with technical director Chris Leitch on an interim basis.

Coach Dominic Kinnear and his staff remain in place, the team said.

Doyle, who in 2005 was the inaugural member of the San Jose Earthquakes Hall of Fame, had been the general manager since October 2007 and helped bring the franchise back following a two-year absence. He is a former player, assistant coach and color analyst with the organization.

San Jose has a 7-8-11 record for seventh place in the Western Conference and was three points back of Portland for the final playoff berth.