Ghana's Wakaso celebrates his goal after taking a penalty kick past Cape Verde goalkeeper Vozinha during their African Cup of Nations quarter-final soccer match in Port Elizabeth

Ghana is through to Africa Cup of Nations semifinals, eliminates Cape Verde

1 Comment

Ghana came into the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations looking to show more attacking ambition than in previous tournaments, and through three games, it’s worked. The Black Stars took seven points from three games to finish on top of Group B. Along the way, they scored six goals, an output that’s positioned them next to Ivory Coast as the team most likely to win this tournament.

On Saturday, in a quarterfinal the Black Stars were expected to win, we saw a bit of a reversion to type. Ghana didn’t find an open play goal against Cape Verde until stoppage time, though by then an early second half Wakaso Mubarak penalty kick had forced the Blue Sharks to chase the match. With Cape Verde throwing men forward, Mubarak completed his double and sent Ghana into the semifinals after a 2-0 win.

Throughout the match, Ghana coach James Kewsi Appiah left striker Asamoah Gyan alone up top, a setup that harkened back to the more conservative approaches the Black Stars have employed in recent year. For his part Gyan conceded it was difficult but fruitful work:

“It can be quite frustrating, being alone upfront,” Gyan conceded, “but being on the winning side is all that matters.”

Saturday’s victory clinched the Black Stars’ fourth straight semifinal appearance, a final four place that won’t be free of controversy. Just as any match decided by a penalty kick would be, today’s result was disputed, with Cape Verde boss Lucio Antunes asking reporters to “have to take your own conclusions on the officiating” which decide Gyan drew a penalty after going to round in the 52nd minute.

Sarcastically, Antunes also noted it was better for the tournament for Ghana to advance, as they’d draw bigger crowds.

“The result is fair because Ghana have good players,” Antunes said. “The tournament wasn’t going to be interesting with Togo versus Cape Verde.”

While the sentiments were obviously misplaced, there is some truth in noting South Africa’s crowds are largely pro-Ghanian. The country adopted the Black Stars in 2010 when Ghana was Africa’s last survivor at the World Cup.

The support has carried over to this year’s Cup of Nations, with Appiah noting the support has side saw Saturday.

“South Africa is a second home of Ghanaians,” the Black Stars boss said. “I wish I could get dual nationality, I’d choose South Africa!”

The warmth of the crowd was also felt on the field, with Gyan noting the “wonderful reception for (Ghana) and I want to pray for South Africa, so that they do well for the sake of their people’s kindness to us.”

Such sentiments are sure to maintain South African loyalties into the next round. There, Ghana will face the winner of tomorrow’s Burkina Faso-Togo meeting in Nelspruit.

 

MLS: Le Toux to join D.C., Timbers set to acquire Myers and more

Sebastien Le Toux, Tony Beltran
AP Photo/Rich Schultz
Leave a comment

Two teams are set to bring in experienced players ahead of the new season, while another veteran has said his goodbye to his former club.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s MLS coverage ]

D.C. United has reportedly signed veteran forward Sebastian Le Toux after spending last season with the Philadelphia Union and the Colorado Rapids.

According to SB Nation’s Black and Red United, Le Toux has inked a one-year deal with D.C. United. Le Toux has scored 57 goals in his time in MLS, with 50 of those goals coming with the Union.

Le Toux has also previously played for the New York Red Bulls, Vancouver Whitecaps and Seattle Sounders.


Meanwhile, the Portland Timbers are reportedly set to sign long-time Sporting KC defender Chance Myers, who spent the last nine seasons with the Western Conference side.

The 29-year-old had made 147 appearances for Sporting KC since joining MLS, while adding two goals over that span.


Dax McCarty posted a heartfelt message to New York Red Bulls fans, players and staff following the veteran’s move to the Chicago Fire.

The midfielder was recently traded to the Eastern Conference side after the spending the last five-and-half years with the Red Bulls, where McCarty served as the team’s captain.

Gerrard urges Liverpool to “try and bid for Van Dijk”

SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 28:  Virgil van Dijk of Southampton celebrates as he scores their first goal during the Premier League match between Southampton and Tottenham Hotspur at St Mary's Stadium on December 28, 2016 in Southampton, England.  (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)
Julian Finney/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Virgil Van Dijk‘s quick rise in the Premier League has caught the attention of many around England, and one of the division’s greats has high hopes the Dutchman will join his former side in the future.

[ MORE: Saints wallop Leicester in complete effort ]

Steven Gerrard has suggested that Liverpool come out and pursue Van Dijk, who joined Southampton back in 2015 from Scottish side Celtic.

Gerrard — who is set to take a coaching position with Liverpool’s academy — believes the budding star would be a strong fit for the Reds, however, the ex-midfielder realizes it’ll be a hard sell.

“Who I think we need, I would go and try and bid for Van Dijk from Southampton,” Gerrard told BT Sport. “But we’ve had enough of their players so that will probably go down like a lead balloon.”

The 25-year-old has made waves in England’s top flight after quickly proving to be one of the division’s top defenders and helping guide the Saints towards the top half of the table since his arrival.

Report: San Diego making push to become future MLS expansion site

FBL-US-MLS-LOGO
JEWEL SAMAD/AFP/Getty Images
Leave a comment

With the NFL no longer the biggest show in town, San Diego could be bringing another football to the city in the near future.

[ MORE: USMNT’s Hyndman provides assist in Rangers debut win ]

According to NBC 7 San Diego, FS Investors founder Mike Stone and former Qualcomm Vice Chairman Steve Altman are prepared to reveal their proposal on Monday that will bring a future MLS franchise to San Diego.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s MLS coverage ]

The proposed move includes a stadium plan that will reside where the Chargers’ Qualcomm Stadium currently sits. With the NFL franchise now playing in Los Angeles, the San Diego Padres of Major League Baseball are the only remaining professional team in the area, out of the five major sports in the U.S.

NBC 7 is also reporting that a future San Diego team would share its facility with the San Diego State Aztecs football team.

MLS is currently up to 22 teams entering the 2017 season, while Los Angeles FC is also tabbed to enter the league next year. David Beckham’s Miami project is also considered to be the league’s 24th team, and MLS is likely to hold off on further announcements regarding expansion until later in 2017.

If San Diego were to be chosen as an expansion site, the club would become the fourth to call California home in the current state of MLS, joining the San Jose Earthquakes, Los Angeles Galaxy and LA FC (2018).

In addition to San Diego, several other cities are currently vying to enter MLS in the future, including St. Louis, Cincinnati, Sacramento and Charlotte.

Hull’s Ryan Mason hospitalized following collision with Gary Cahill

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 22: Ryan Mason of Hull City lies injured after the collision with Gary Cahill of Chelsea during the Premier League match between Chelsea and Hull City at Stamford Bridge on January 22, 2017 in London, England.  (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)
Richard Heathcote/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Ryan Mason has undergone surgery following a scary collision with Chelsea’s Gary Cahill on Sunday.

[ MORE: Chelsea goes eight points clear at top of PL ]

The Hull City midfielder was injured after knocking heads with Cahill during first half of the 2-0 defeat to the Blues. Nine minutes of first-half stoppage time were needed after Mason stayed down on the pitch at Stamford Bridge.

[ MORE: Xhaka’s red card makes him most sent-off player in Europe ]

It has been confirmed by the club that Mason suffered a skull fracture, while it is has also been speculated that the 25-year-old could have had bleeding on his brain.

Mason will remain hospitalized for the “next few days,” according to the Tigers.

“The Club can confirm that Ryan Mason sustained a skull fracture in our fixture at Chelsea this afternoon. He was taken to St Mary’s Hospital where he has undergone surgery.

“Ryan is in a stable condition and is expected to remain in hospital for the next few days.
“Everyone at the Club would like to express their sincere thanks for the excellent and swift care given to Ryan by both the Accident and Emergency department and Neurosurgery Unit at St Mary’s Hospital.

“A further update will be issued tomorrow.”

While Mason was forced off during the match due to the injury, Cahill managed to continue for Chelsea and scored the game’s second goal.