Omar Gonzalez

Omar Gonzalez: “… you just learn from that stuff”

1 Comment

It is certainly fair to debate whether the U.S. choice of center backs was the right one last week in Honduras.

Would U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann have been wiser to keep team captain Carlos Bocanegra on the field for one more match? Then, perhaps in the coming home contest against Honduras, he could have made the “big switch,” adding Omar Gonzalez alongside Geoff Cameron as the first-choice central defensive pairing going forward.

Clearly, Klinsmann is gambling a little here, reckoning that it’s time to go younger and get the men on the field who will be needed in Brazil next summer – with the assumption of safe arrival, that is.

The silver lining is that Gonzalez will never make the same mistake. He “switched off for a second,” lost his mark and the United States gave up a game-winning goal. (Obviously, other mistakes were made, too.)

And it sounds like Gonzalez has walked away from the experience, his first major test at the international level, with the right attitude about it all. Gonzalez is back in the Galaxy camp now; what he told the LA Galaxy team blog:

It was definitely tough; it was a test of your mental strength. It really took a lot out of players, the heat and the crowd in the first half was a lot. But you just learn from that stuff and try hard on every single play. That will take you a long way.

“That was one game, I think that there were certain plays that you have to look at, but on the day, it was just a tough game, a tough field, a tough environment and now you move on. You just keep on trying to get better and stay at a top level and now I just need to play better for the Galaxy.”

Chapecoense will be crowned Copa Sudamericana champions

ADDS NAMES - In this Nov. 2, 2016 photo, players of Brazil's Chapecoense team pose before a Copa Sudamericana soccer match against Argentina's San Lorenzo in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Top row from left, goalkeeper Marcos Danilo Padilha, Bruno Rangel Domingues, Helio Hermito Zampier Neto, Cleber Santana Loureiro, Willian Thiago. Bottom row from left, Guilherme Gimenez de Souza, Ananias Eloi Castro Monteiro, Tiago "Tiaguinho" Da Rocha Vieira, Matheus Bitencourt da Silva, Dener Assuncao Braz and Jose "Gil" Gildeixon Clemente de Paiva. A plane carrying the Brazilian soccer club Chapecoense team that was on it's way for a Copa Sudamericana final match against Colombia's Atletico Nacional crashed in a mountainous area outside Medellin, Colombian officials said Tuesday, Nov. 29. (AP Photo/Gustavo Garello)
AP Photo/Gustavo Garello
Leave a comment

Tragedy can only describe the event that transpired just days ago, but the soccer world has rallied around Chapecoense in the days that followed.

[ MORE: PL roundup: Chelsea handles Man City; Arsenal, Spurs cruise ]

The Brazilian club’s interim president Ivan Tozzo has confirmed that Chapecoense will be named Copa Sudamericana champions after CONMEBOL officials agreed to the terms.

Chapecoense was set to face Atletico Nacional in the tournament’s finale, however, Atletico called for CONMEBOL to award Chapeco the title and be awarded the prize money.

“CONMEBOL have testified that they will crown Chapecoense as champions of the Copa Sudamericana,” Tozzo told TV Globo.

“In addition, the club will receive the two million dollar prize. Everything is confirmed. I do not know if there will be a ceremony to receive the cup.”

In total, 71 people on the plane carrying most of the Chapeco squad perished in Monday’s crash, including 19 players.

Tozzo said that while the club is understandable still grieving the devastating event that Chapeco has received an overwhelming amount of support in the time of hardship.

“We are receiving support from all federations,” Tozzo said. “The CBF, CONMEBOL, FIFA, and especially the people of Chapeco. Right now we are beginning to rebuild the team. People want football, people love football in Chapeco.

“Therefore, we must continue this. Let’s talk and do well, let the dust settle and rebuild the team for next year. ”

Gareth Southgate will attempt to lure Zaha back to England

LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 06:  Wilfried Zaha of Crystal Palace in action during the Pre Season Friendly match between Crystal Palace and Valencia at Selhurst Park on August 6, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Christopher Lee/Getty Images)
Christopher Lee/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Just days after Wilfried Zaha stunned the Football Association by announcing his decision to switch to playing for the Ivory Coast, England’s manager is prepared to lure the attacker back.

[ MORE: PL roundup — Chelsea handles Man City; Arsenal, Spurs each score five ]

Gareth Southgate has come out and said that he will attempt to convince Zaha to remain with England, despite only having made two appearances with the senior side since 2012.

[ MORE: Gunners pressure helps aid five-goal performance at West Ham ]

Zaha, 24, came up with England at the Under-19 and U-21 levels, but his last call up with the senior team was three years ago.

While winger is a competitive position within the Three Lions squad, Southgate is content on speaking with Zaha and hopefully dissuading the attacker from switching his allegiance to Ivory Coast.

“I cannot assess that until I speak with him. I would like to speak to him before we make a decision and happy to make that happen.”

“We are still first and foremost hopeful that we can speak to Wilf. He’s a player I’ve obviously worked with. At the time, I had him with the Under-21s. First few months he played very well for us then he had a difficult period for his club [Manchester United]. [He had] A loan spell at Cardiff that didn’t go so well.

“At the stage we had players like Tom Ince, who was performing better in the Championship out wide for us so he dipped out of that group. Then obviously over the last couple of years, with respect no one was questioning him not being in our [senior Euro 2016] squad that summer.

In 2016, Zaha has made 15 appearances in all competitions for Crystal Palace and notched two goals in that span. Zaha began his professional career with the Eagles after coming up through the club’s academy, before making a highly-anticipated switch to Manchester United.

However, his time at United was cut short after making just two senior appearances for the club and Zaha landed back at Palace in 2015.

La Liga & Serie A: Ramos rescues draw in Clasico, Juve rolls

BARCELONA, SPAIN - DECEMBER 03:  Sergio Ramos of Real Madrid CF heads the ball towards goal and scores his team's first goal during the La Liga match between FC Barcelona and Real Madrid CF at Camp Nou stadium on December 3, 2016 in Barcelona, Spain.  (Photo by Alex Caparros/Getty Images)
Alex Caparros/Getty Images
Leave a comment

A roundup of Saturday’s action in Spain and Italy’s top flights…

[ MORE: PL roundup — Chelsea handles City; Spurs, Arsenal each score five ]

Barcelona 1-1 Real MadridRECAP

It was nearly the end of Real’s lengthy unbeaten streak, but then Sergio Ramos stepped up with his noggin to give the visitors a share of the points at the Camp Nou. The veteran Spanish defender headed home the equalizer in second-half stoppage time to give Real a draw against its bitter rival.

Barcelona took the lead on 53 minutes when Luis Suarez headed home a Neymar free kick from the left wing. The result keeps both sides in place as the league’s top two teams, with Real holding a six-point advantage at the summit.

Granada 2-1 Sevilla

On a day where the league’s top two sides settled for a draw in El Clasico, Sevilla suffered a massive blow on the road against one of La Liga’s struggling sides. Granada earned its first win of 2016 after goals from Andreas Pereira and David Lomban propelled the hosts past Sevilla.

Wissam Ben Yedder netted a late finish for the visitors in second-half stoppage time, however, it wasn’t enough for Sevilla to pull out a result. Granada remains in the relegation zone on eight points, while Sevilla holds its third-place standing following the loss.

Elsewhere in La Liga

Leganes 0-0 Villareal
Atletico Madrid 0-0 Espanyol

Sunday’s La Liga schedule

Real Betis vs. Celta Vigo — 6 a.m. ET
Athletic Bilbao vs. Eibar — 10:15 a.m. ET
Alaves vs. Las Palmas — 12:30 p.m. ET
Sporting Gijon vs. Osasuna — 12:30 p.m. ET
Valencia vs. Malaga — 2:45 p.m. ET


Juventus 3-1 Atalanta

Alex Sandro and Daniele Rugani got Juventus out to a flying start in the first half, and it was Mario Mandzukic who finished the day off for the hosts. Juventus remains atop Serie A following Saturday’s convincing win over Atalanta, while the visitors remain in fifth place in Italy’s top flight.

Remo Freuler provided consolation for the away side in the 82nd minute after finishing off Marco D’Alessandro cross, which was Atalanta’s second shot on target during the match.

Sunday’s Serie A schedule

AC Milan vs. Crotone — 6:30 a.m. ET
Lazio vs. Roma — 9 a.m. ET
Sampdoria vs. Torino — 9 a.m. ET
Sassuolo vs. Empoli — 9 a.m. ET
Pescara vs. Cagliari — 9 a.m. ET
Fiorentina vs. Palermo — 2:45 p.m. ET

Metz-Lyon match stopped after keeper Lopes injured by firecracker

TURIN, ITALY - NOVEMBER 02:  Anthony Lopes of Olympique Lyonnais kicks the ball during the UEFA Champions League Group H match between Juventus and Olympique Lyonnais at Juventus Stadium on November 2, 2016 in Turin, Italy.  (Photo by Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images)
Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lyon goalkeeper Anthony Lopes was taken to the hospital after being hit by a firecracker during the team’s Ligue 1 match against Metz on Saturday.

[ MORE: PL roundup — Chelsea handles Man City; Arsenal, Spurs win big ]

The match was stopped in the first half when Lopes was struck by a firecracker in the 31st minute, before the game was ultimately abandoned due to the lack of safety conditions.

Metz was leading the match 1-0 at the time of stoppage, however, Lyon could be awarded the 3-0 victory pending a decision from France’s governing body.

Here’s the official statement released by Lyon:

“The public authorities in Metz took the decision to stop the match between FC Metz and Olympique Lyonnais indefinitely, in agreement with the match delegate and the referee, following the incidents that took place at the half-hour point of the game,” French football’s governing body, the LFP, said in a statement.

“A report will be sent to the LFP’s Disciplinary Commission. The LFP regrets these incidents and will be uncompromising in its continued review of this report.”