Bundesliga review: Kießling’s national team case continues to grow

1 Comment

What will it take for Stefan Kießling to get a look in the German national team?

The question, one that’s persisted all season, became even more pertinent after the 29-year-old Bayer Leverkusen (far right) forward scored his 15th goal of the season today against visiting Augsburg. With the 2-1 win, Bayer opened a four-point lead on fourth place Eintracht Frankfurt and look a strong bet to return to Champions League after a one-year hiatus. More relevant to Kießling’s nationalmannschaft cause, the Leverkusen No. 9 is now tied with Bayern’s Mario Mandzukic for most goals in this year’s Bundesliga.

It’s the second season in a row Kießling’s hit at least 15 goals. With 12 matches left in the campaign, he’ll likely far exceed last year’s total: 16. At his current pace, Kießling will finish with 23 goals, two-more than the career high 21 that earned him a spot in the national team ahead of South Africa 2010.

Since then, Kießling’s had trouble getting a look from Joachim Löw, a situation that began with a drop in production post-World Cup. That was compounded by a surplus of talent that’s emerged at Germany’s attacking positions. When Kießling drew Löw‘s attention pre-South Africa, players like Marco Reus, Mario Götze, Toni Kroos, and André Schürrle had yet to establish their places in the team (Kroos was selected for the squad, albeit with only four caps headed into the tournament). A poor 2010-11 season cost him his spot, and with talents like Julian Draxler and Lewis Holtby also pressing for places among the national team’s attacking four, Kießling’s career-best form may not be enough to crack the team.

“I don’t care (if Löw was watching),” Kießling said earlier this year. “[A]ll I can do is to perform well.”

Germany’s recent dalliance with some striker-less looks may not help, though Kießling has the talent to play wide as well as in his more customary central position. That may not matter. Löw sees him as a No. 9, a position where the national team boss already has two stable choices: Mario Gomez and Miroslav Klöse. Kießling may have the type of versatility that could prove valuable in Germany’s 4-2-3-1 system, but with the glut of talent at Löw’s disposal (and the huge substitute’s bench you’re allowed in international match), versatility may not count for much.

“Stefan Kiessling has a tremendous quality in front of goal,” Löw said about Kießling’s possible selection. “[H]e was there in 2010 at the World Cup.

“When I [fill] the position … I see Miroslav Klose in a superior form, if he’s healthy – and also Mario Gomez is just a tad bit before Kießling. But Stefan Kießling is Kießling an alternative.”

For whatever reason, that alternative has never been a factor in the national team. Even when the aging Klöse’s struggled with fitness, Kießling hasn’t been called in. Between the coach’s evaluation and the competition for spots,Kießling’ may not improve on his seven caps any time soon – goals be damned. If scoring was enough to impress Löw, Gomez would have locked down a starting spot long ago.

The big beneficiary of all this is Bayer. They have one of the best attackers in Germany all to themselves. They don’t have to share him with the national team. If that means Leverkusen is more likely to return to the world’s top club competition, Sami Hyypïa should be happy Kießling’s undervalued by Löw.

Here’s Kießbling’s Saturday effort, beating his man on a restart to head home Leverkusen’s opening goal:

Elsewhere in Germany

  • Already missing the suspended Robert Lewandowski, Borussia Dortmund played 59 minutes with 10-men after Julian Schieber earned a second yellow card. By that time, Reus had them up 2-0. The German international’s second half goal gave him a hat trick and BVB an easy 3-0 victory over visiting Frankfurt.
  • The win kept Dortmund within 15 points of first place Bayern (I can’t type that without laughing). FCB took care of business on Friday with a 2-0 victory, giving the kind of controlling performance that’s come to characterize their season. Bayern have not allowed a goal in league since Dec. 12 against Borussia Mönchengladbach.
  • With their loss, Frankfurt’s fourth place cushion’s reduced to three points, with Freiburg (3-2 winners at Werder Bremen) and Hamburg (1-0 victors over Gladbach) now within striking distance.

Report: Arsenal interested in Leicester keeper Kasper Schmeichel

Getty Images
Leave a comment

According to a report by The Sun, Arsenal is monitoring the progress of Leicester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel.

The rumor does make sense. With Petr Cech at 34 years old and having a poor season in front of net and backup David Ospina failing to challenge him for the starting job, the Gunners are looking elsewhere to bring in a potential future starter.

Schmeichel has been one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League the past two seasons. Last season he led the Foxes to the Premier League title, organizing a stunningly good defensive line of patchwork players. This season, the defense has largely regressed and let Schmeichel down, but he has still performed well and has the metrics to remain one of the league’s top shot-stoppers.

The Danish keeper is 30 years old himself, but that puts him in his prime for a goalkeeper. He has been with Leicester City since 2011, and he will tick 250 appearances for the club with his next match. Schmeichel was rumored to be a member of the secret player delegation that worked hard to see Claudio Ranieri pushed out of the club, a sentiment which he and the other players have strongly denied.

Still, with an improbable Premier League title in hand and an appearance in the Champions League quarterfinals now on the cards, there probably isn’t much else for him at Leicester City. It’s possible Schmeichel could look to bank on his past performances and secure a move to a bigger club this summer.

Should Arsene Wenger stay with Arsenal past this season, a possibility that looks more and more likely, he could look to move on from Cech despite signing the former Chelsea goalkeeper just two summers ago.

Diego Costa injured, but will stay with Spain squad for friendly

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Chelsea striker Diego Costa pulled up in Spain training on Sunday, and with the Blues in first in the Premier League and Costa in great form, there were obvious concerns.

With Costa struggling with leg and ankle injuries, the RFEF informed Chelsea that there was an issue, and Costa was pulled from training and sent for tests. X-Rays at the local hospital in Madrid were negative, and he’s rejoined the squad.

According to the RFEF, doctors will continue to monitor the 28-year-old and he will continue with the national team for the rest of the international break. With a World Cup qualification win over Israel already in the books and just a friendly against France to go on Tuesday, it’s odd that Spain would risk Costa moving forward, but they will continue to keep him around.

Costa has scored 18 goals this season to lead the Blues, and he scored in the win over Israel. Spain takes on France in Saint-Denis on Tuesday, with both teams leading their World Cup qualification groups. Spain has a goal-differential lead on Italy with both teams miles above the rest of the Group G, and France is ahead of Sweden by three points in Group A, with the Netherlands back in fourth.

Foul or flop? Player “headbutts” referee, is sent off

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Well, there must be something in the water down in Brasilia, because things got a little weird this evening.

Flamengo drew with Vasco da Gama 2-2, but that was just the start.

In the 54th minute, with Vasco da Gama leading 1-0 at Estadio Nacional Mané Garrincha, 36-year-old Luis Fabiano was sent off for “headbutting” the referee. Headbutting is in quotes because looking at the video, it certainly appears there was little to no contact, and the referee flops.

Yes, the referee flopped. Take a look:

To be fair, Fabiano was already on a yellow, so getting in the referee’s face even without the headbutt/pelvic thrust would likely still have seen him sent to an early shower.

So the former Porto and Sevilla man was sent off, and Vasco da Gama was down to 10 men. Immediately after the red card, Flamengo took advantage, powering in a pair of goals via Willian Arao and Orlando Berrio to take the lead 2-1. But Vasco wouldn’t quit, and they earned a penalty five minutes into stoppage time, which Nene buried for the 2-2 draw.

To top things off, a player named Yago Pikachu scored the opener for Vasco da Gama, which was followed by a delay in the game seven minutes later after a power surge in the stadium. Go figure.

Lletget diagnosed with foot sprain, escaping further damage

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Word has arrived from the LA Galaxy camp that will see USMNT fans feel relieved as Sebastian Lletget has escaped the news many feared.

The young attacker was impressive in the first 18 minutes of the United States’ 6-0 win over Honduras, but was injured minutes after scoring the opening goal and could not continue. Replays showed that Lletget got his foot caught underneath a defender in the process of a hard challenge on the right wing.

There was concern that Lletget would be out for a significant amount of time, but the Galaxy announced that after testing over the weekend, Lletget did not suffer any structural damage and was diagnosed with a left foot sprain.

[ MORE: USMNT adds Paul Arreola to roster, drops Lletget, Brooks, Morris ]

Lletget will visit a specialist on Monday to determine a plan for recovery, and it’s possible that he will still have to miss some time in the near future. The Galaxy visit Vancouver on Saturday, and his status for that match has to be considered up in the air. They then host Montreal on April 7.

While Lletget obviously misses out on the next USMNT game at Panama on Tuesday having already been dumped from the roster, he will most definitely be available for the June games against Trinidad & Tobago and Mexico, and will likely be an option for Bruce Arena given the manager’s history with Lletget at Los Angeles.

The United States have been struck with a collection of injuries that all occurred just before the international break, hampering the squad significantly. Bobby Wood, Jordan Morris, and Fabian Johnson all went down in the days before reporting for international duty, and the team lost Lletget and John Brooks in the Honduras win. Lletget’s departure could see Alejandro Bedoya into the starting lineup on Tuesday, with the Union midfielder having replaced Lletget in the Honduras match. Also in contention is Jermaine Jones, who could come in after his suspension and push Darlington Nagbe onto the wing.