CONCACAF Herediano Real Salt Lake Soccer

U.S. push toward FIFA under-20 World Cup begins tonight

Leave a comment

Our blog is, by definition, about pro soccer. So why would we write about the U.S. under-20s, who are about to begin regional qualifying for the upcoming FIFA Under-20 World Cup?

Because a dozen members of Tab Ramos’s 20-man U.S. roster have already signed professional contracts. They include six men on MLS rosters and three each who are already earning paychecks from Mexican and German teams.

The United States under-20 team begins its qualifying push Monday against Haiti in Puebla, Mexico. Tonight’s match begins at 6:30 p.m. ET on FOX Soccer Channel.

It’s on Ramos and the young men to reverse a trend that is slipping toward “alarming.”

Two years ago a U.S. team directed by Thomas Rongen crashed out of regional qualifying, falling to Guatemala in the quarterfinals and failing to advance into the Under-20 World Cup in Colombia. It became harder to write that off as an anomaly when the United States’ under-23s flamed out in CONCACAF qualifying on the way to 2012 London Olympics.

The schedule and tournament details from U.S. Soccer are here.) What Ramos told U.S. Soccer in summing up his group’s prep for the 12-team tournament, from which four teams advance. (The quarterfinals represent “money time,” as all four quarterfinal winners move into the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey this summer.):

I believe we’re as ready as we can be. We’ve had eight camps already [this past year] and in this particular group we have guys who have all been here [in Mexico] before, We have players who are prepared and we’ve had a couple of great weeks of training. We are training in great facilities, playing in an excellent stadium, the temperature should be OK, so there are really no excuses for us but to do the best we can and try to get to this first game.”

A list of past CONCACAF qualifying teams is here from

Good roster notes from U.S. Soccer’s communications staff are here.

The U.S. name to remember: Real Salt Lake’s Luis Gil, the club’s playmaker and most experienced man, as discussed thoroughly in this piece from RSL Soapbox. Just 19 years old, Gil (pictured above) has already appeared in 54 matches for RSL.

Just last week, RSL coach Jason Kreis mentioned to me how big a year this was for Gil, a California native already in his fourth pro season. Kreis wants to see the imminently talented attacker advance to the next rung in leadership and consistency. No better place to start than tonight in Mexico.

Sunderland confirm resignation of manager Dick Advocaat

SUNDERLAND, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 03:  Dick Advocaat manager of Sunderland looks on prior to the Barclays Premier League match between Sunderland and West Ham United at the Stadium of Light in Sunderland, United Kingdom.  (Photo by Steve Welsh/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

With rumors swirling of his resignation, Sunderland have confirmed this morning that Dick Advocaat has left his post as Sunderland manager with zero financial compensation despite the protests of the chairman.

Advocaat came on in March as an emergency signing, successfully saving Sunderland from relegation with a solid run of form to finish the season. The 68-year-old Dutchman pondered at length this summer if he wished to continue on, with his wife reportedly urging him to step down, but he chose to continue on with the new season after successful persuasion from the front office.

Unfortunately, things have not gone as planned, with Sunderland sitting 19th in the table, only above Newcastle on goal differential and without a single win on the season. They’ve conceded a whopping 18 goals so far this season through eight league matches.

“I have made the decision to go after only eight games as I felt it was important to give everyone time turn things around – like we did last year,” Advocaat said upon his departure. “I am thankful to the chairman for understanding my feelings and I remain on good terms with everyone at the club.

“I wish Ellis [Short], Lee [Congerton], all of the staff, players and of course the supporters, who made me feel so welcome here, the very best of luck for the rest of the season. I have some wonderful memories to take with me and I hope I will return to see everybody again in the future.”

“I am truly saddened by Dick’s decision,” chairman Ellis Short said, “but I respect him for his honesty and for doing what he feels is right for the club. He is a man of integrity and a true football person. He was hugely respectful of the club in taking this decision and he acted 100% in our best interests. It is also testament to his character that he has forgone any kind of a financial settlement, something which is very unusual in football.”

Meanwhile, the Black Cats have dipped into what is becoming a perennial cycle, making a managerial change for the fourth time in the last four seasons.

Rumors are swirling that a host of experienced Premier League managers could be up for the job, including the currently unemployed Sam Allardyce and Harry Redknapp. Other linked names include former Leicester manager Nigel Pearson and current Burnley boss Sean Dyche.

Sepp Blatter’s daughter slams media for ruining her father’s reputation

Leave a comment

Sepp Blatter’s daughter blames the media, not her father, for Sepp’s downfall as the head of FIFA and believes he will not step down until the February congress as he initially announced.

“The media has ruined his reputation,” Corinne Blatter told Swiss newspaper Blick. “Why are they picking on him? What did he do to them? … It’s not just envy. It’s hatred.”

A host of major sponsors, including Coca-Cola, McDonalds and Visa called for Blatter’s immediate resignation as president of FIFA, to which the 79-year-old swiftly rejected. This all came after Blatter was called in by Swiss authorities for questioning after the opening of an investigation surrounding corporate mismanagement charges.

“I was afraid that they now take him away in handcuffs,” Corinne said. “He told me, ‘I must be dreaming.’ A federal policeman assured me that he could after hearing home.”

Blick pressed Corinne on many issues, all of which she defender her father. She refused to comment on many that had to do with the investigation, but did give us this gem when asked how Sepp likes to spend his money.

“He buys shoes and travel bags. He has worked 40 years. His life is modest, without any extravagance. He doesn’t play golf or go sailing.”

Shoes and handbags. What an image.