US national football team head coach, Ge

Jurgen Klinsmann on the short MLS offseason, on the U.S. under-20s, on Landon Donovan and more

6 Comments

There has been no louder – and certainly no more influential – advocate of shrinking Major League Soccer’s off-season than U.S. national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann.

He said a year back that MLS down time was too lengthy, too easy-breezy on world class athletes who needed to get off those comfy sofas and get back after it sooner – and that player development in this country suffered because of it.

Not so much because Klinsmann said so, but due to other scheduling factors, Major League Soccer did indeed reduce the interim. At three months, this was easily the shortest MLS off-season yet. (Since clubs were back in training camp in mid-January, the actual player down time was closer to six weeks in many cases.)

In his latest podcast from U.S. Soccer, Klinsmann talked about the effect of a reduced off-season, mostly as it relates to potential U.S. men:

We hope the players respond positively to it, that they feel, ‘OK, I can adjust easier or faster to a heavy rhythm of games.’ Once season starts, they are traveling all over the place, playing games every three, four, five days.

Also, mentally, you need to adjust so that hopefully, with the shorter offseason, it is easier for them to get back into that rhythm and their bodies adjust to it. It’s all about how fast you can recover from games, about how quickly they can regenerate and hopefully it makes them even stronger.”

On the same podcast, Klinsmann also revealed that he spoke via Skype to Tab Ramos’ under-20 national team earlier this week, before they met Canada for a spot in this summer’s FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey.

I told them it’s about being a giver here. Don’t think about yourself, just think about teammates, think about the big opportunity you have. If you are all givers, you are going to beat Canada and things will turn out OK. And the way they played was exciting, some good combinations, some good flow of the ball, even on a difficult surface, because it looked a bit bumpy there.”

Klinsmann also addressed injuries and availability with Steve Cherundolo and Landon Donovan and more. No real surprises there, although he did seem to add a little more boil to this kettle by saying “If” rather than “When” on Donovan’s return to the national team.

And did the U.S. manager reveal a little something about the way the United States may set up tactically in the future, perhaps playing without a true holding midfielder? In talking about the important relationship between central mids Jermaine Jones and Michael Bradley, he mentioned more training sessions ahead, where perhaps they could train to set up without a defensive midfield anchor – so long as Bradley and Jones develop an understanding of how one of them absolutely has to hold the midfield if the other goes forward.

West Ham confirm talks underway to give Payet new contract

Dimitri Payet, West Ham United FC (AP Photo/Frank Augstein)
AP
Leave a comment

West Ham United have announced they are in talks with star man Dimitri Payet about a new contract.

[ MORE: Spurs, Arsenal to battle for title?

Just over halfway into his first season in the Premier League the Frenchman, 28, has become a cult hero at Upton Park with his dazzling skills delighting the West Ham faithful.

However, reports in the UK on Tuesday had stated that Payet and his representatives were demanding a huge raise amid reported interest from other suitors but the club has moved swiftly to deny those claims.

Here’s the statement in full from West Ham:

Following reports in today’s media, West Ham United would like to clarify that at no time have Dimitri Payet or his agent made any demands to the Club over a new contract. However, the Club can confirm that due to Dimitri’s outstanding impact since his arrival at the Boleyn Ground, they have initiated amicable and productive talks about an improvement and extension to his contract.

Those talks are progressing well and it is hoped they can be concluded shortly. Dimitri would like to make clear that he is very proud to play for West Ham United and he appreciates the support he has received from the Board, manager and fans since he joined the Club in the summer.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights

Payet has been a revelation since arriving from Marsielle in the summer for $15 million. He leads West Ham in PL goals (6), assists (4) and chances created (67). His mercurial flicks and tricks has seen admiration from around the league as the Hammers chase a top six finish under Slaven Bilic during his debut season in charge. Ahead of their move to London’s Olympic Stadium in the 2016-17 season, it’s likely Payet will lead this new-look West Ham side into an exciting new era.

He has a strong connection with fans of the east London club who sing his name loud and proud.

Payet released the following message via Twitter to calm any fears about him leaving.

Report: Man United hold talks with Pochettino’s reps

FBL-ENG-PR-MAN UTD-TOTTENHAM
Getty Images
Leave a comment

A report from the Sun newspaper in the UK claims that the representatives of Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino have been approached by Manchester United.

[ MORE: Spurs, Arsenal to battle for title?

Pochetino, 43, has led Tottenham to second place in the Premier League in just his second season in charge at White Hart Lane and the Argentine coach is seen as one of the brightest young minds in the game. He will likely battle with his good friend Jose Mourinho to take charge of United.

With Louis Van Gaal‘s future at Old Trafford beyond this season still uncertain — he snapped at a journalist when being pushed about his potential exit after the 1-1 draw at Chelsea on Sunday — it seems as though the Red Devils are feeling out the possibility of replacing the veteran Dutch coach at the end of this season.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights

Pochettino arrived in England in January 2013 and took Southampton from a newly-promoted club who were battling relegation to a top-eight team who produced several superb youngsters during his time at St Mary’s. Pochettino has replicated, and perhaps bettered, that success at Spurs with the likes of Harry Kane, Eric Dier and Dele Alli flourishing under his stewardship and Spurs have a real chance of winning the PL title this campaign as they currently sit five points behind leaders Leicester with 13 games to go.

Having been around Pochettino for a few years now both during his time at Saints and Spurs, he seems like an ambitious and driven character. If they chance to manage United came around, you get the sense it’s something he’d seriously consider. Who wouldn’t want to be THE man who turned around the fortunes of one of the world’s biggest teams and be lauded for returning them to glory?

That said, why would Poch leave Spurs?

He’s nurtured a hugely talented group of young players, the fans love him, he has a long-term contract until 2019 and there’s a bright future for the north London club as a new 60,000 stadium will be built on the White Hart Lane site in the next few years. Although that new stadium would provide Spurs with plenty of extra revenue in the future, Pochettino has urged caution for the upcoming years as he recently claimed a “tough period” would be ahead financially as the new stadium is financed. Talking about finances, Spurs chairman Daniel Levy wouldn’t let Pochettino leave without a fight and according to the report he’d likely demand $30 million in compensation for his manager. United may see that as a price worth paying.

Van Gaal, 64, still has a contract through the end of the 2016-17 season but with United currently six points off the top four, it seems increasingly unlikely he will remain in charge after this summer. Ryan Giggs — LVG’s assistant and a legend at United — is too inexperienced in the eyes of many to take charge, while Mourinho continues to be linked with United. After going with David Moyes and Van Gaal since Sir Alex Ferguson retired and neither of the experienced coaches able to return United to the top, maybe hiring a young, hungry manager is the way to go for the Red Devils?

Poch fits the bill.

VIDEO, PHOTOS: Premier League unveils new logo

FBL-ENG-PR-CHELSEA-SUNDERLAND
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Premier League will have a fresh new look for the 2016-17 season.

[ MORE: North London battle for the title?

Unveiled on Tuesday, a new logo and color scheme has been selected and for the first-time in league history there will be no corporate sponsor of the league.

The change still sees the iconic lion of the league used and it is now more prominent than ever in a simple yet striking design.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights

In a statement on the PL’s website Premier League Managing Director, Richard Masters, explained the thought process behind the new look.

“From next season we will move away from title sponsorship and the competition will be known simply as the Premier League, a decision which provided the opportunity to consider how we wanted to present ourselves as an organisation and competition,” Masters said.

Below is a video unveiling the new logo, while you can also see some images of the new color schemes and the different ways the logo will be used.

Klopp hopes for speedy solution in club, fans’ ticket-price dispute

Liverpool's fans wave flags during the English League Cup semifinal second leg soccer match between Liverpool and Stoke City at Anfield stadium in Liverpool, England, Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2016. (AP Photo/Jon Super)
AP Photo/Jon Super
Leave a comment

From his time at Borussia Dortmund, Jurgen Klopp is used to a much more positive, family-like, everyone-pulling-in-the-same-direction atmosphere at his club of employment, so the present goings-on at Liverpool understandably have the Reds’ first-year manager feeling more than a little uneasy.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Saturday’s late 2-2 draw with Sunderland wasn’t the first time Liverpool fans have headed for the exit before the final whistle, leaving Klopp feeling all alone, but it was the first time the fans have departed from Anfield early in a pre-planned, organized manner (Klopp missed the game himself with appendicitis). The Anfield faithful didn’t walk out on 77 minutes due to their team’s poor performance — Liverpool were 2-0 ahead at the time — but in protest of steadily rising ticket prices, which were unveiled at $111 per game to sit in the 132-year-old stadium’s new main stand next season.

Klopp, coming from the Bundesliga, where a season ticket at clubs the size of Bayern Munich and Dortmund doesn’t cost much more than a single-game ticket at many Premier League grounds, understands the fans’ frustration. At the end of the day, though, he works for the club, which is why he just wants the whole thing settled quickly, for the sake of his squad — quotes from the BBC:

“It’s not what we want. What I know is everyone in the club has a big interest in finding a solution for this. We don’t want people to leave the stadium before the game is finished.”

An LFC TV appearance by Liverpool chief executive Ian Ayre, in which he was expected to answer fan-submitted questions, was consequently canceled on Monday due to the ongoing dispute.