New York Red Bulls v Portland Timbers

Hold up with those snap conclusions after MLS Week 1

3 Comments

Thirty minutes into the 2013 MLS season, the Philadelphia Union looked like world beaters. Sebastien Le Toux and Keon Daniel had made Sporting Kansas City’s defense — the best in the league in 2012 — look fragile and beatable. They found holes to sit in, collect the ball and turn to run at defenders and it resulted in an early lead for Philadelphia.

For a half hour, the Union looked like a team markedly improved from its eighth place finish in the Eastern Conference last year. Le Toux’s return brought with it early hope of a promising season for the Philly faithful.

Then Graham Zusi scored the equalizer in the 41st minute, deflating the crowd at PPL Park. Sporting Kansas City finally showed up in the second half, beat the Union 3-1 and brought everyone back to reality.

(MORE: What a match for Zusi  |  Union coach John Hackworth calls loss ‘unacceptable’)

But for 30 minutes there, the Union’s spark and Sporting’s shockingly poor start had us jumping to all sorts of conclusions that only opening day allows for — that naive sense of optimism that the clean slate of first kick brings about.

It happened throughout opening weekend (the Red Bulls are going to MLS Cup under Mike Petke’s guidance! Oh…there’s a second half.) and the ramifications of some opening game results will help some of those feeling stick around.

Is Seattle’s thinned out roster in trouble after losing to Montreal at CenturyLink Field? The Impact aren’t really that good, right? And is San Jose’s 2-0 loss to Real Salt Lake indicative of how the West will be run this season, or just a case of one of the league’s best teams getting the better of another?

(MORE: Newly built defenses need more time together)

Indeed, it is far too early to proclaim that Caleb Porter (pictured) will lead the Timbers to the promised land; it’s too early to call Mikael Silvestre an MLS flop and it’s too early to proclaim Chris Wondolowski is choking under the pressure of being a Designated Player.

The MLS season is a long one and we told you last week that 2013 could be the most unpredictable yet. About the only guarantee is that, regardless of whether or not Chivas USA ends up topping the list of all-time MLS worsts this season, nobody will be there to see it.

Barcelona signs striker Paco Alcacer

Valencia CF v Malaga CF - La Liga
Getty Images
Leave a comment

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) Barcelona says it has signed striker Paco Alcacer for five seasons after securing his transfer from rival Spanish club Valencia.

[ MORE: Latest transfer news ]

Alcacer, who turns 23 on Tuesday, joins an already daunting attack of Lionel Messi, Lius Suarez, and Neymar.

Barcelona says it is paying 30 million euros ($33.5 million), plus a possible two million euros ($2.2 million) more in variables, to Valencia.

[ MORE: Wilshere to leave Arsenal? ]  

The Liga champions also say they are loaning forward Munir El Haddadi to Valencia, which will have the option to buy his rights next summer for 12 million euros.

Alcacer scored 43 goals in the last three seasons at Valencia.

Done Deals: Perez to Arsenal, Remy joins Palace, Marshall to Hull

MADRID, SPAIN - SEPTEMBER 14:  Lucas Perez of RC Deportivo la Coruna reacts during the La Liga match between Rayo Vallecano and RC Deportivo La Coruna at Estadio Teresa Rivero on September 14, 2015 in Madrid, Spain.  (Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It has been a busy Transfer Deadline Day eve in the Premier League.

[ MORE: Wilshere to leave Arsenal? ]

Below is a look at three deals which have already been confirmed.

And don’t forget, the summer transfer window shuts at 6 p.m. ET on Wednesday so stay up to date with all the latest transfer news right here.


Arsenal have completed the signing of Lucas Perez from Deportivo La Coruna.

Perez, 27, was on fire for Deportivo last season, scoring 17 goals and adding eight assists in 36 games. The Spanish striker has had a nomadic career to date but after his breakout season in La Liga, he has now sealed a move to the Gunners for a fee believed to be close to $23 million.

Able to play as a central striker or out wide, Perez will give Arsene Wenger plenty of attacking options as the Spanish international arrives at the Emirates. Not quite the wow factor Gunners fans had been hoping for but still a player who can contribute goals and push Olivier Giroud all the way for the starting spot up top.


French international striker Loic Remy has landed at Selhurst Park.

Remy, 29, has joined the Eagles on a season-long loan deal from Chelsea and is reunited with Alan Pardew who he worked with at Newcastle United.

The former QPR striker has found life pretty tough at Chelsea, making just 47 appearances over the last two seasons in all competitions but he did score 12 goals in that time. Pardew managed to get the best out of Remy at Newcastle, with the former Marseille forward scoring 14 goals in 26 Premier League appearances during the 2013-14 campaign.

Now Remy will line up alongside Christian Benteke in a completely revamped Palace attack and all of a sudden the Eagles look much more capable of scoring goals. What a partnership Benteke and Remy could be in south London.


Goalkeeper David Marshall has joined Hull City from Cardiff City for a fee believed to be in the region of $6.5 million.

Marshall, 31, is a Scottish international and has previously played in the PL with Cardiff during the 2013-14 season. Now he is returning to the top-flight with the Tigers, as caretaker boss Mike Phelan makes him Marshall his first significant signing of the summer as the club continues to finalize a takeover from Chinese investors.

He is likely to be the first-choice goalkeeper at Hull although Allan McGregor will push him all the way when he returns from injury and Eldin Jakupovic has certainly not let anyone down after Hull surprisingly won two of its first three PL games this season after securing promotion from the Championship.

Hull is expected to also add Ryan Mason from Tottenham Hotspur in the coming hours.

VIDEO: Hope Solo launches furious rant after being handed suspension

Hope Solo
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Hope Solo did not take her six-month suspension from the U.S. women’s national team well.

[ MORE: Wilshere to leave Arsenal?

Solo, 35, was suspended by U.S. Soccer on Aug. 24 and also had her contract terminated with immediate effect after calling Sweden’s national team “cowards” following their quarterfinal win over the USWNT at Rio 2016.

After finding out about her suspension in person in Seattle from USWNT head coach Jill Ellis and Dan Flynn of U.S. Soccer, Solo launched an furious, expletive laden tirade which was caught on camera by a Fullscreen documentary “Keeping Score” which has been following her and other members of the U.S. women’s national team around. The full video will be released soon.

“Six month suspension no pay, terminated contract effective immediately,” Solo said. “17 f***ing years and it’s over!”

She was consoled by her husband Jerramy Stevens in the video clip.

Here is the video of Solo’s initial reaction.

Wayne Rooney to retire from England after 2018 World Cup

151230-Wayne-Rooney-Getty
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Wayne Rooney will not play again for England after the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

[ MORE: Wilshere to leave Arsenal? ]

Speaking ahead of England’s opening 2018 World Cup qualifier against Slovakia this Sunday, Rooney confirmed the next World Cup will be his last major tournament with England.

Rooney, 30, is the all-time leading goalscorer for England with 53 goals and he has once again been named captain of the English national team under new manager Sam Allardyce.

The Manchester United skipper spoke to reporters at England’s training HQ at St. George’s Park and confirmed his plans to retire from international duty in 2018.

“I know myself that Russia will be my last opportunity to do anything with England. I am going to try and enjoy these two years and then hopefully I can end my time playing for England on a high,” Rooney said. “I am not old. I am 30 years of age. Come Russia I feel like that will be the time for me to say goodbye to international football. My mind is made up. It’s down to Sam Allardyce again, in terms of the next two years, but that will be my last tournament if selected. I will have enjoyed some highs, some lows but I am an immensely proud man.”

Rooney first played for England as a 17-year-old in 2003 and over the last 13 years he has played six major tournaments for the Three Lions, captaining them since 2014 when Steven Gerrard retired from international duty.

So often criticized, especially in recent months after being dropped into a deeper midfield role by Hodgson for England and Louis Van Gaal at his club, Rooney is still the talisman for England. He will become the all-time leading appearance holder for an outfield player when he next plays for England, surpassing David Beckham’s record of 115 caps. The former Everton striker is only 11 appearances away from equaling legendary goalkeeper Peter Shilton’s record of 125 appearances.

When all is said and done, despite disappointments at major tournaments (the kick at Ronaldo at the 2006 World Cup and the rant at England’s fans at the 2010 World Cup stick out) Rooney will go down as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, players to ever play for England.

His legacy will remain intact no matter what happens between now and the end of the road in the summer of 2018.