Did you know there was a CBA problem in women’s soccer? Yeah, well, it’s over


Fans of women’s soccer had been dialing up the tension since the Algarve Cup, worried that U.S. Women’s National Team players being counted on to carry the new National Women’s Soccer League may not report to their clubs. The national teamers were without a collective bargaining agreement, their deal with U.S. Soccer having run out. While they could have began their new NWSL careers without a formal agreement in place, the players association’s lawyer said that wasn’t going to happen. A new deal needed to be done before the players would report.

This morning, the USWNSTPA and U.S. Soccer averted that crisis that never was. The organizations jointed announced their new collective bargain agreement, a deal that will run through the 2016 Summer Olympics. Players can report to their NWSL teams “on time.”

Via the league’s website:

“We are pleased to have concluded this agreement in a timely manner. It took a little longer than we had hoped given the complexity of the issues involved but we are happy it is now behind us. This agreement will allow the players to focus on keeping the U.S. Women’s National Team at the top of the sport and ensure the NWSL is successful for its launch in April.”

When, exactly, players report varies from person-to-person and team-to-team. According to an NWSL spokesman, there’s no set date players are required to report. A previously speculated March 19th date was effectively the beginning of an open window.

Some players will start practicing on Wednesday. Others (beyond the national team) have visa issues that will need to be resolved.

Other players, like Alex Morgan, will trickle in based on other commitments. Morgan was in New York on Tuesday for a promotional shoot. The Portland Thorns aren’t expecting her at practice until next week.

The deal may have taken “a little longer than [they] had hoped,” but that’s the way these CBA things go, particularly in sports. With the national team having just finished a long-term stay in Europe, it’s no surprise dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s took some time.

That created some anxiety among fans, but those trepidations weren’t replicated by the clubs and the players. With both sides seemingly in constant contact, this deal was always destined to get done. And on Wednesday, it did.

Alexis Sanchez says he “expected better” from himself at Manchester United

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Alexis Sanchez isn’t happy with his performance so far at Manchester United.

The Chilean superstar has scored just one goal for the Red Devils in 10 appearances since joining from Arsenal, and the club has lost three of those games and has been knocked out of the Champions League by Sevilla.

Speaking with Chilean media on national team duty in Sweden, Sanchez said he expects more of himself and that he’s so far let himself down. “As I am self-demanding, I expected something better,” Sanchez said. “After my arrival at United, it was hard to change everything very quickly. I even hesitated to come here [to join the national team].”

Chile missed out on World Cup qualification, and has friendlies with Sweden and Denmark scheduled over the next week. With so little at stake, Sanchez was poised to take time off from the national team, but says he was convinced by Manchester City goalkeeper and Chilean captain Claudio Bravo to stick it out.

“The change of club was something that was very abrupt – it was the first time I’ve changed clubs in January – but many things have happened in my life that are difficult,” Sanchez said. “I had asked permission to miss these games, but then I thought better and spoke with Claudio and told him that we should all be united.”

Once the international break is over, Manchester United resumes Premier League play against Swansea at the end of March before an April 7th derby meeting with Manchester City.

James Collins injured in West Ham friendly

Getty Images
Leave a comment

West Ham defender James Collins hobbled off the field in the 29th minute of the Hammers’ friendly against Dagenham & Redbridge on Wednesday, a big blow to the club’s already paper-thin back line.

With the league on an international break, West Ham agreed to play a friendly against Dagenham & Redbridge to help raise money for National League club that could be in serious financial trouble. However, it could be detrimental to the short-term future of the Hammers, who are hoping to stave off relegation, sitting just two points above the drop.

The 34-year-old defender has missed significant time this season due to injury, with an ankle injury keeping Collins out for nearly three months in 2017. West Ham has lost just four of the 12 Premier League matches Collins has appeared in this season, with three clean sheets. However, two of those have come in the club’s last three games, thrashed by a combined 7-1 scoreline between 90 minutes against Liverpool and Burnley.

The injury comes at the worst possible time, with West Ham set to play Southampton in a critical relegation matchup between teams in the in 17th and 18th in the Premier League table. The Hammers are already without defender Winston Reid who remains out for the season with a knee injury, while the club sold center-back Jose Fonte to Chinese club Dalian Yifang F.C. in late February.

West Ham was hoping to do its part to help save the London club. Former director Glyn Hopkin abruptly resigned and pulled all financial backing in early February, leaving the club fearing for its immediate future. They reportedly need $353,000 just to stay afloat the rest of the season, even with zero club debt.

Men In Blazers podcast: Mohamed Salah continues to shine

Men In Blazers
Leave a comment
Rog and Davo marvel at Mo Salah’s four goal, one dime haul in Liverpool’s 5-0 beatdown of Watford, analyze Jose Mourinho’s recent rants about football heritage at Manchester United, and recap Rog’s family trip to Stoke vs. Everton.

All of the MiB content — pods, videos and stories can be seen here, but to really stay in touch, follow, subscribe, click here:

Subscribe to the podcast OR to update your iTunes subscriptions ]

Click here for the RSS feed ]

1912 FA Cup winner’s medal stolen

South Yorkshire Police
Leave a comment

A 106-year-old footballing relic has been snatched from a house in England.

The home of the 82-year-old grandson of former Barnsley player Philip Bratley was burglarized last weekend according to the BBC and other reports, and among the items stolen was an “invaluable” FA Cup winner’s medal from 1912.

That year, Barnsley defeated West Bromwich Albion in the finals of the 41st FA Cup, with Bratley scoring the winning goal in the semifinal replay over Swindon Town. He went on to make over 100 appearances for Barnsley between 1910 and 1014 before moving transferring to Liverpool, where he spent one season before he left during the first World War.

“This item is of great sentimental value to the family and belonged to the 82-year-old victim’s grandfather who, at the time, played for Barnsley,” the South Yorkshire police said. “The family is extremely upset that this, along with many of their belongings, have been stolen. If you have any information please get in touch so we can try and reunite this invaluable item with its rightful owner.”

Barnsley has offered to assist the South Yorkshire police in their search for the stolen artifact, as those with any information are encouraged to contact either entity to share what they may know.