For many managers in football, the day you get hired by a professional team is the pinnacle however as my mentor once told me ‘you’re now a day closer to getting the sack,’ yes, like death and taxes, getting sacked in football is as inevitable as the sun rising in the morning.
This season has been particularly brutal in England as the pink slips have been flying. In total, 103 managers and coaches have lost their jobs in 2012-13 and the LMA, the League Managers Association has described the situation as embarrassing.
Four Premier League managers have been shown the exit door in this current campaign – Roberto Di Matteo at Chelsea, Brian McDermott at Reading, Nigel Adkins at Southampton and Mark Hughes at QPR which translates into 20% of the league but that’s job security compared to the Championship where 17 managers have been dismissed.
With World Cup qualifying in full flow over the next week club managers will at least have a seven day window of security but on the other side of the coin, any international manager who losses a couple of games and puts his country in danger of missing out on the Brazilian samba party next year will surely feel the heat.
Men in jeopardy of receiving a pink slip include Serbia’s Siniša Mihajlović, Michal Bílek of the Czech Republic, the seemingly always under pressure Ireland manager, Giovanni Trapattoni, Abdullah Avcı of Turkey and of course, England’s Roy Hodgson.
By this time next week who do you think will most likely be out of a job?
USMNT: Brooks out with hip strain; World Cup qualifiers loom
John Brooks is out of Hertha Berlin’s lineup “for the time being” after scans revealed a hip strain suffered in this weekend’s win over Wolfsburg.
That’s all Hertha has said, and that makes it hard to imagine whether American fans should be a little concerned or very concerned ahead of the USMNT’s World Cup qualifiers against Mexico, and Trinidad and Tobago in early June.
Brooks was unavailable for two weeks with an adductor strain in September, missing a month before returning to the starting lineup.
The U.S. center back pool isn’t teeming after Brooks and Geoff Cameron. Matt Besler, Tim Ream, Omar Gonzalez, and Walker Zimmerman were called up for the last World Cup qualifiers, and Gonzalez struggled but is a Bruce Arena favorite from their time in L.A.
Josh Sargent scored a pretty goal as the United States Soccer program had another banner day against Mexico.
Nearly two months to the day after the U.S. U-20 side beat Mexico for the first time in 31 years, the U.S. U-17 topped El Tri for the first time ever. That win snapped Mexico’s 25-match unbeaten streak.
SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) The leaders of South America’s soccer confederation transferred $128.6 million between 2000 and 2015 to personal accounts, suspicious accounts, or unauthorized third-party accounts, according to an audit released Wednesday by Ernst & Young.
According to the audit presented to the annual CONMEBOL congress in the Chilean capital, the confederation’s former president Nicolas Leoz transferred $26.9 million to his personal accounts. Leoz was the president for 27 years until resigning in 2013 for what he said were health reasons.
The audit also found $58 million in payments “to third parties without adequate documentation,” payments of $33.3 million to “unidentified accounts,” and $10.4 million to “suspicious third-parties.”
“We had said that we would have four pillars, and the first two pillars were clear accounts and accountability,” said Alejandro Dominguez, the president of CONMEBOL who commissioned the audit last year. “Today we are accountable to the leaders and the whole world of football.”
Leoz, 88, is one of three ex-presidents of CONMEBOL accused on corruption charges by the United States Department of Justice. He is in Paraguay fighting extradition to the United States.
The South American body has been plagued by corruption, which was exposed two years ago during the FIFA scandal. Leoz’s two successors, Eugenio Figueredo and Juan Angel Napout, were both arrested on corruption charges.
“I’m here, I’m the manager” – Moyes will not quit Sunderland