2012 MLS Cup - Houston Dynamo v Los Angeles Galaxy

Landon Donovan meets with reporters for first time in months

6 Comments

Landon Donovan’s first meeting with reporters in months is over, and the U.S. national team’s all-time leading scorer had lots of interesting things to say.

Donovan answered questions after Thursday’s Galaxy practice at the Home Depot Center in his first get-together with members of the press since December; he went on sabbatical and more or less disappeared from public view after the MLS Cup post-game news conference four months ago. (Donovan did have some public comments relayed recently through the magic of citizen journalism last month.)

Donovan is saying all the right things, not just about the Galaxy but also about the U.S. national team. (It’s almost surreal, isn’t it, to think that the program’s all-time leading scorer and noted Mexican team killer was just one of us, just another Joe watching from the States as USMNT did proper battle in Mexico City?)

Donovan spoke with candor, respect and humility about his place with the Galaxy and the U.S. national team, and of his personal relationships with the respective managers, Bruce Arena and Jurgen Klinsmann. For instance, in discussing his conversations with Arena:

Understandably, no coach wants to lose one of their players for three months, or a few months of the season. At first, Bruce wasn’t ecstatic about it, but I’ve known Bruce a long time and I think he understood pretty clearly how passionate I was about needing this break and now I think everyone can agree that it was absolutely needed and the right thing to do.

Donovan talked about the need to work his way back into both teams, with absolutely no sense of entitlement, certainly the correct attitude considering that both teams have gone through periods of transition or (in the U.S. case) pretty rough times during the period of his absence.

Donovan still wants to get back on the field in early April. Looking at the Galaxy schedule, would it surprise anyone to see Donovan make an appearance off the bench during the team’s April 3 home leg of the CONCACAF Champions League semifinal series against Monterrey? (Depending on what the match looks like over last 20 or so minutes, naturally.)

Meanwhile, teammates certainly seem happy to have their wise, quick attacker back on the field. Galaxy left back Todd Dunivant, a good friend of Donovan’s in addition to his longtime teammates, says Donovan may even make an impact quicker than people think.

Sassuolo’s victory over Pescara reversed to 3-0 loss

REGGIO NELL'EMILIA, ITALY - AUGUST 28:  (L-R)  Alessandro Matri of US Sassuolo competes for the ball with Cristiano Biraghi of Pescara Calcio during the Serie A match between US Sassuolo and Pescara Calcio at Mapei Stadium - Citta' del Tricolore on August 28, 2016 in Reggio nell'Emilia, Italy.  (Photo by Pier Marco Tacca/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

MILAN (AP) Sassuolo’s victory over Pescara has been reversed to a 3-0 loss.

Sassuolo won Sunday’s Serie A match 2-1 but the league now says it fielded an ineligible player.

The league says the paperwork for the signing of Antonino Ragusa, who played the final 25 minutes, had not been filed by noon the day before the match – as its rules demand.

Sassuolo says it followed the rules and will appeal.

The club was one of four teams to win both its opening matches, along with Genoa, Juventus and Sampdoria.

Report: Wilshere being chased by at least 22 clubs

Jack Wilshere, Arsenal FC
Leave a comment

Jack Wilshere won’t be with Arsenal following Wednesday’s transfer deadline, however, where the Gunners midfielder lands is yet to be seen.

[ MORE: Is David Luiz poised for a return to Stamford Bridge? ]

According to Daily Mail, as many as 22 clubs are in the mix to acquire Wilshere on loan, including various Premier League sides.

[ MORE: Aguero charged by FA, could be out for Manchester derby ]

While Daily Mail suggests that Crystal Palace is among the leaders to bring in the 24-year-old center midfielder this season, Bournemouth and Watford are also said to be in the mix to sign the playmaker.

Manager Arsene Wenger reportedly won’t allow the Englishman to go to any of the top four sides in England and also hopes that Wilshere lands outside of the UK .

Wilshere is also being chased by foreign clubs including Serie A sides Juventus and Roma.

The Gunners have been active as the deadline heads down its final hours, with Lucas Perez of Deportivo La Coruna and Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi both joining the club on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, young defender Calum Chambers has joined Middlesbrough on loan and Serge Gnarby is reportedly close to joining Werder Bremen after drawing significant interest from Bundesliga sides.

US women will host Switzerland twice in October

BRASILIA, BRAZIL - AUGUST 12:  Alex Morgan #13 of United States celebrates her goal to tie the game with teammates Mallory Pugh #2, Crystal Dunn #16 and Carli Lloyd #10 in the second half against Sweden during the Women's Football Quarterfinal match at Mane Garrincha Stadium on Day 7 of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games on August 12, 2016 in Brasilia, Brazil.  (Photo by Celso Junior/Getty Images)
Celso Junior/Getty Images
1 Comment

CHICAGO (AP) The U.S. women’s national team will host Switzerland for two matches this October in Minneapolis and Utah.

The matches for the defending World Cup champions are set for Oct. 19 at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah, and at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on Oct. 23.

The U.S. team has played Switzerland just twice before, with the Americans winning both matches.

The United States is also facing Thailand on Sept. 15 in Columbus, Ohio, before playing the Netherlands in Atlanta on Sept. 18.

The team will be without goalkeeper Hope Solo, who was suspended from the team for six months following comments she made at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics. The United States was ousted by Sweden in the quarterfinals for the team’s earliest-ever exit at the Olympics.

Report: Florentin Pogba could join brother in Premier League

Florentin Pogba
Leave a comment

Just incase you were unaware, there’s another Pogba. And he too could be playing in the Premier League very soon.

[ MORE: Could David Luiz be making a return to Stamford Bridge? ]

While it was Paul Pogba that stole the spotlight when he returned to Manchester United for a world-record transfer fee, Florentin — his 26-year-old brother — is drawing interest from England’s top flight.

According to the Sun, David Moyes and Sunderland are launching an $8.5 million bid for the St Etienne defender as a potential replacement for Lamine Kone. The Black Cats still anticipate that Kone will exit the Stadium of Light this season after handing in a transfer request earlier this month.

Pogba has played with the Ligue 1 club since 2012 after joining from lower-division club Sedan. Additionally, the centerback has made 13 appearances for Guinea at the international level.