Didier Drogba and Jose Mourinho – destined for a reunion at the Bridge

1 Comment

Chelsea fan or not – few will deny that the prospect of Jose Mourinho and Didier Drogba reuniting at Chelsea next season doesn’t tickle your footballing fancy. And with the manager refusing to rule out a return to his former club and the player admitting he would be interested in coming back to West London, the dream reunion is looking all the more likely.

While in London last week for the friendly between Brazil and Russia, Mourinho admitted that he plans on returning to the Premier League and would not rule out a return to Chelsea. “I cannot deny that, despite this weather, I love it here, and as I said I have a house and I have big emotional connections with Chelsea and one day I think naturally I will have to be back to English football, or to Chelsea or to another club.”

Mourinho’s comments – paired with news that Chelsea interim manager Rafael Benitez will move on at the end of the season regardless of what happens in the Europa League and FA Cup – had the Premier League salivating over the possibility of his return. On Wednesday, Drogba added fuel to the fire when he said that if Chelsea want to return to the top of the Premier League there’s only one man for the job.

“I think for the club it is the best solution to bring Jose back,” Drogba told the Guardian . “The fans want him back. He loves Chelsea.I don’t think he has got over Chelsea and they haven’t got over him.”

Mourinho is a lover of narratives. He went to Chelsea to win the Premier League, to Inter to win the Serie A (and the Champions League) and to Real Madrid to try and become the first manager to win the Champions League in three different countries. So what’s the Special One’s storyline for a return to Stamford Bridge? Drogba fills in the blanks.

“When [Mourinho] came [to Chelsea] he brought success; we won league titles back-to-back with some great football and the only thing he didn’t win was the Champions League,” Drogba said. “Maybe that is one of the reasons why he might want to come back. It is unfinished business.”

When asked of his potential role in that unfinished business, Drogba initially took a political approach. “Let me finish at Galatasaray first and then we will talk about that,” Drogba said.

But eventually, the 35 year old couldn’t help but admit that he could be tempted to work with Mourinho again. “Why not?” Drogba added. “It would be interesting.” Like Mourinho, Drogba has a special connection to West London. “I feel at home when I go to London. When I go to Chelsea’s training ground I feel like I can walk around with my eyes closed and know where I am going.”

For now, however, the striker claims that he’s happy with the Turkish giants and is looking forward to guiding Galatasaray to a semi-final berth in Europe’s premier club competition. To make that happen he not only needs to defeat his mentor but plenty of former Blues as well. “It’s going to be different because I play against José, who is ex-Chelsea, Michael (Essien), who is ex-Chelsea, and Ricardo Carvalho, who is ex-Chelsea,” Drogba said.

The return of Mourinho and Drogba to Chelsea would provide drama of the highest level. But only one man, Roman Abramovich, can make that happen.

Popular opinion suggests that the Russian’s once frosty relationship with Mourinho has since thawed but the issue remains – can two of football’s biggest egos co-exist at the same club? And what message would Abramovich be sending to his players by bringing Drogba back? Fernando Torres, Demba Ba and Romelu Lukaku certainly won’t be impressed. And what about Frank Lampard? After refusing to offer the 34 year old a new contract, is signing the 35 year old Drogba a slap in the face?

It should be an interesting summer at the Bridge.

Soccer world reacts to the Manchester attacks

Peter Byrne/PA via AP
Leave a comment

NBC News is reporting that at least 19 people have been killed and another 50 are injured following a possible suicide bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.

Multiple senior U.S. intelligence officials who are monitoring British authorities told NBC News that preliminary reports indicate that a single explosion took place outside the arena on the southwest side opposite the train station. The explosion occurred as the concert ended, catching people as they exited.

Soccer personalities around the world are reacting to the horrible event.

Juventus purchases Cuadrado from Chelsea

Photo by Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images
Leave a comment

If you didn’t realize Juan Cuadrado still belonged to Chelsea, you’re forgiven.

The Colombian attacker will complete his second season at Juventus after the UEFA Champions League Final against Real Madrid, and won’t be headed back to Chelsea afterwards.

Juve has purchased Cuadrado, and the fee is $22 million, and Juve will pay it over three seasons. Cuadrado, 28, is now signed through 2020 with The Old Lady.

Cuadrado first went on loan to Juve in Aug. 2015, and has eight goals and 18 assists in 83 career appearances with the club.

Chelsea bought Cuadrado from Fiorentina for around $32 million in the January 2015 transfer window, but made just 14 appearances with the club.

Report: Jermain Defoe meeting with Bournemouth

Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty images
Leave a comment

Sky Sports is reporting that Jermain Defoe may head back to the south of England following Sunderland’s relegation.

Defoe, 34, spent two seasons with Portsmouth between 2008-09, scoring 15 goals in 31 appearances.

[ MORE: ‘The Moment’ of each PL club’s season ]

The 56-times capped England striker had a clause in his Sunderland contract allowing him to leave the Stadium of Light were the Black Cats to be relegated, as they were this season. He’d have little interest in dropping into the Championship given his desire to stay a part of the England squad ahead of the 2018 World Cup.

Bournemouth’s strike corps includes Joshua King, who scored the most goals of any player not on a Top Seven side this season. King’s 16 goals were one more than Defoe’s 15, though the latter scored just one goal following a brace against Crystal Palace on Feb. 4.

Chelsea’s Conte wins pair of top managerial honors

AP Photo/Frank Augstein
1 Comment

Antonio Conte took league and national honors from the League Managers Association on Monday night.

The Chelsea boss was named Premier League Manager of the Year and Manager of the Year after leading the Blues to the PL title and an FA Cup Final in his first year on the job.

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Chris Hughton nabbed another Championship boss of the year award after leading the Gulls to the Premier League. He also won the honor with Newcastle United in 2010.

The League One winner is Chris Wilder of Sheffield United. Wilder won the honor with Northampton Town last season.

In League Two, Paul Cook of Portsmouth was named the winner.