Highlights and context: Chivas USA missing finishers against visiting Colorado

Leave a comment

Another match, and two more penalty kicks, though unlike today’s game in Frisco, one of these actually found the back of the net.

On Saturday night in Carson, Deshorn Brown’s seventh minute conversion gave the visiting Rapids an early lead, but with Chivas USA’s flare of the dramatic, this was setting up like another match El Chelís’s team could steal late.

Little did we know Jose Correa’s own penalty kick later in the half would be the closest Chivas would come to equalizer. When the young Colombia’s try went off the cross-bar and back into play, Clint Irwin was on his way to a second straight shutout, with the Rapids taking a 1-0 win out of Los Angeles.

Losing at home to a still hamstrung Colorado, Chivas USA may see some of those preseason doubts resurface, even if they still sit near the top of the Western Conference. Though they suffered their second loss of the season (their first since opening night), Chivas sit in second place, six back of league-leading Dallas.

Colorado, on the other hand, extended their unbeaten streak to three with another 1-0 victory. They pulled the saem trick last week against Real Salt Lake, though you have to wonder how long Irwin can keep up these heroics.

But may he’ll turn into this year’s Andy Greunebaum – a backup vaulted into the starting XI who goes on to be one of the league’s best goalkeepers. Even if he doesn’t meet those high standards, Irwin looks capable of buying Oscar Pareja time until the rest of his squad returns to health.

For now, Colorado sits fifth in the West, one of five teams that have collected eight points through the league’s first month-and-a-half.

Here are the highlights of their late Saturday match in Carson:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Juve’s Kean could leave club over tractor dispute

Photo by Mario Carlini / Iguana Press/Getty Images
Leave a comment

No tractors, no teenager.

Moise Kean, 17, broke into the Juventus senior team last season with a trio of Serie A appearances that concluded with a goal against Bologna on May 27.

He also made a token appearance in the UEFA Champions League against Sevilla, which all-in-all is a pretty solid debut for the century’s first birth to make an appearance in a Top Five league in Europe.

[ MORE: Fabinho has interest in Man Utd ]

About that contract, though.

Kean’s father, Biorou, says Juventus has broken a contractual promise to his family, and that could send the teenager into the transfer market. Biorou says that his son’s 18th birthday — Feb. 28, 2018 — could trigger Moise Kean leave town as “an adult.”

From Sky Sports:

“Juventus offered a contract of €700,000-a-year, which was fine, but the problem is they had also promised me some tractors for my agricultural business in the Ivory Coast, but now they say there is no budget for them.

“I own several hectares of land in the Ivory Coast which I would like to cultivate with rice and corn. I’m an agronomist. I asked for agricultural materials and they told me “no problem.”

Now, though, those tractors are not in the Ivory Coast, and Biorou claims that he never signed a contract with agent Mino Raiola. It all sets the table for further complains and a transfer, so it’s worth keeping an eye on this odd saga.

FIFA takes no further action on Mexico-New Zealand clashes

AP Photo/Martin Meissner
Leave a comment

ST. PETERSBURG, Russia (AP) FIFA will not intervene after reviewing two volatile clashes between New Zealand and Mexico players and coaches.

FIFA says “it has been verified that there are no grounds for any disciplinary action to be taken.”

Tempers flared in a running brawl late in Mexico’s 2-1 comeback win on Wednesday in Sochi.

[ MORE: Fabinho has interest in Man Utd ]

Three players were shown yellow cards after match officials paused the game to review video.

Replays showed at least one other player went unpunished after running into the melee to strike an opponent in the head.

In the first half, Mexico coach Juan Carlos Osorio was caught on the TV broadcast aiming a verbal obscenity at New Zealand coaching staff.

Osorio later apologized for the profanity provoked when New Zealand continued an attack as a Mexico player appeared injured.

Fabinho admits interest in Manchester United

Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images
Leave a comment

If even a fraction of this summer’s transfer interest is real, Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has taken every precaution against his biggest 2017 enemy: scheduled congestion.

Mourinho was a regular critic of United’s schedule last season in the run-up to its UEFA Europa League title win over Ajax, and is building his roster up for the UEFA Champions League.

[ MORE: Saief completes USMNT switch ]

The manager already had plenty of attacking options, and has added Victor Lindelof to his stable of defenders while reportedly flirting with PSG’s Marquinhos, too. Defensive midfielder Nemanja Matic is also a reported target (as are half of the world’s elite footballers).

And now, a wry smile from Monaco’s Fabinho hints that Mourinho may be making progress with another target.

‘‘It’s a tempting invitation. … I would first talk to my agent, Monaco too, to decide everything right. But it’s a great club, sure enough I would think well about it.”

Fabinho played mostly right back in 2014-15 before splitting time between that position and defensive midfielder the following year and seeing most of his time at CDM last season. Mourinho has lavished praise and given a contract extension to right back Antonio Valencia and has Ander Herrera, Michael Carrick, and Paul Pogba at CDM (though the latter can certainly operate higher up the field).

Chinese clubs to pay 100% tax on foreign transfers

Photo by Visual China/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The days of Chinese Super League sides spending eye-popping figures on a handful of international superstars are over — either that, or those figures are about to double — for now, at least.

[ MORE: Oscar given 8-game ban for petulant display in China ]

China’s Football Association announced Thursday that, effective immediately, any foreign player signed for a fee exceeding $6.63 million would be subject to a 100-percent tax on top of the fee paid to acquire the player. The tax will remain in effect until the end of China’s ongoing transfer window, July 14. The tax will also apply to Chinese players signed for a fee exceeding $3 million.

It’s Chinese authorities’ latest attempt to prevent big spending by CSL clubs, which has in every instance been detrimental to the development of young Chinese players making their way through the academy system. The taxed money will then be reinvested in “youth training, construction of public sporting facilities and scientific progress in football development,” according to a statement by the CFA.

Just last week, China was eliminated from contention to qualify for next summer’s World Cup in Russia. The only time China has ever qualified for the World Cup was in 2002.