You know what they say about payback … being a You-Know-What and all.
No one around Costa Rica’s national team was one bit impressed with the decisions made late last month in Denver around Nieve Guerra – the Snow War. (Why didn’t we think of that nickname sooner …?)
The Costa Ricans even lodged an official complaint with FIFA. Like most of these official complaints to world soccer’s governing body, it went absolutely nowhere.
So it’s hardly shocking that Costa Rica has passed put the teams’ upcoming World Cup qualifier in the least comfortable place for the United States. Costa Rica will apparently pass on the chance to play the teams’ return leg in the round robin schedule of final round World Cup qualifying inside the country’s gleaming new national stadium.
Costa Rican federation president Eduardo Li told a Costa Rican radio station that his federation will stage the teams’ Sept. 6 qualifier Estadio Ricardo Saprissa, a longtime, frequent site for national team matches.
Stadium nickname: The Monster’s Cave. Known for: that intimidating “cage” around the field.
It’s a “monster” to visitors not just for the cage-like effect, but also due to its artificial turf playing surface, on which most visitors are loath to perform. Remember, the United States agreed to host a match at Seattle’s CenturyLink Field only if the Sounders would install a temporary grass field over the facility’s artificial surface.
Actually, a U.S. Soccer federation spokesman told me late Tuesday afternoon that U.S. coaches and staff expected to play at Saprissa all along, and not necessarily due to what unfolded in Denver.
The U.S. national team has never won at Saprissa, with a 0-7-1 mark all along. So even though the Ticos played Mexico on the grass field of the new national stadium, the United States has always anticipated this game being held at the usual site.
According to Goal.com’s Ives Galarcep, the injury that forced Gyasi Zardes to withdraw from USMNT consideration for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers is serious and could have much larger consequences.
Zardes reportedly suffered a broken right foot, and could not just miss the rest of the 2016 MLS season, but the rest of the calendar year, ruling him out of not just the two upcoming matches, but also the beginning of the Hexagonal in November should the U.S. advance to the next round.
The 24-year-old was injured just after halftime in an MLS match against Vancouver on Saturday, when he was brought down by Kendall Watson. It’s hard to see in full-speed what happens, but upon closer inspection, it appears that Watson’s follow-through catches the inside of Zardes’s right foot. He continued to play but looked less than healthy when he was finally substituted off in the 87th minute.
Zardes has been a rare youthful yet important cog in the USMNT machine the past few years. He played every minute of the Copa America run to the 3rd place match, and he has missed just two matches since making his debut in January of 2015, giving him 31 caps already despite a debut just 19 months ago.
The injury is also a serious blow for the LA Galaxy. Zardes had come onto the field in the 31st minute to replace an injured Steven Gerrard, and in-form defender Jelle van Damme had also departed the match with a knee ligament injury which will see him miss 2-3 weeks.
Many were surprised when they saw West Ham winger Michail Antonio on Sam Allardyce‘s first England squad list.
Including Michail Antonio.
In fact, Antonio admitted he thought he was being pranked, or at the very least, the butt of a joke. Then he saw the proof, and began to get emotional.
[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]
Speaking with the official England Instagram account, Antonio said, “So literally I’ve done an interview at the end of the game [West Ham’s 3-1 loss to Manchester City on Sunday] and then I’ve come in and the physio’s come over to me and gone ‘you’ve been called up.’ I was like ‘haha funny’ and he’s gone ‘no no seriously’ and I was like ‘good banter!'”
[ MORE: West Ham falls to Manchester City 3-1 ]
The 26-year-old said he stared at the physio for a good 30 seconds before he was shown the official paper, at which point he began “welling up.” The water works came soon after. “So I gave my missus a call, obviously she doesn’t pick up. And then I just got myself mentally ready and waited for it to come out.”
Antonio has two goals in three Premier League games this season, although he struggled in West Ham’s season opener against Chelsea when forced to deputize at right-back. The London-born winger has never played under Allardyce, having joined the Hammers just a few months after Big Sam’s departure from West Ham.
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — The San Jose Earthquakes fired longtime general manager John Doyle on Monday, replacing him with technical director Chris Leitch on an interim basis.
Coach Dominic Kinnear and his staff remain in place, the team said.
Doyle, who in 2005 was the inaugural member of the San Jose Earthquakes Hall of Fame, had been the general manager since October 2007 and helped bring the franchise back following a two-year absence. He is a former player, assistant coach and color analyst with the organization.
San Jose has a 7-8-11 record for seventh place in the Western Conference and was three points back of Portland for the final playoff berth.
Pep Guardiola has brought in a full band of reinforcements to Manchester City this summer, and now he must make room.
With Joe Hart almost certain to move to Italian club Torino in the next few days, a few other City players banished by Guardiola may be set to depart as well.
Manchester City can only include 17 foreign players on its Champions League roster, meaning it must leave off two of the 19 currently with the club. With Hart leaving, that is one less homegrown player on the roster. That is leading Pep Guardiola to try and find new homes for the likes of Eliaquim Mangala and Samir Nasri.
France Football reports that Mangala could be headed back to his former club FC Porto on loan, and according to reports in England, the Manchester club might be forced to eat wages in order to make that happen. Tottenham is apparently also interested for a permanent move, but they’d likely want him at a price significantly cheaper than the $55 million City paid for him just two years ago. Other clubs reportedly in for Mangala include Valencia and Napoli, with the former having just sold Shkodran Mustafi to Arsenal and would likely be searching for a replacement.
According to a number of reports in Spain, Samir Nasri has piqued the interest of La Liga side Sevilla. Nasri has seen his playing time at City decline for a number of years, and in the process was ousted from the French national team. According to AS, with the possibility of Nasri’s all-out exclusion from the City squad, he has interest from the Spanish club as well as Besiktas in Turkey. Like Mangala, however, Nasri’s hefty contract is forcing City to consider much of his wages as sunk.
Nasri’s departure is less imminent, however, considering Guardiola’s praise of him after the 3-1 win over West Ham on Sunday. The Spaniard said Nasri could stay, and while the player appreciated the sentiments, he also admitted a switch is yet possible. “Yes, there could still be movement,” Nasri said. “It depends on a lot of things in fact. There’s been a lot of speculation. Things that are true. Things that are false too because they’ve never shown me the door or anything like that.”
Even Stevan Jovetic has been looking for a way out of the Etihad, but a possible move to Fiorentina apparently was nixed over a disagreement on wages.