Carrick shows West Ham how much he’s progressed

2 Comments

Among the physical, tenacious battle between West Ham and Manchester United on Wednesday, one player played the game at his own pace, controlling the midfield and oozing class: Michael Carrick.

The 31-year-old, who is enjoying the finest season of his career at Old Trafford, is a huge talking point in England at the moment. Some feel he is vastly overrated and a player who can do the simple stuff and not much else; others feel completely the opposite, feeling his importance to the United side goes unnoticed by many people.

Once thing is for sure, there will have been some proud faces in the crowd and among some of the staff at Upton Park on Wednesday, seeing how far their former player has come over the years.

Way back in 1997 Carrick won the Youth Cup with West Ham as a 15-year-old. That side featured a stunning array of young talent inlcuding Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard and Joe Cole, and great things were expected of them all. They haven’t disappointed.

Carrick had become a firm fixture in West Ham’s team by the early 00s despite still only being in his late teens and early 20s, and it wasn’t too long before a battle for his signature emerged.

In 2004 he signed for Tottenham for a fee of $5.3m/£3.5m, and after a slow start to life at White Hart Lane he became an integral part of the starting lineup under Martin Jol.

At the end of the 2005/06 season there were plenty of rumours suggesting Carrick would join United in time for the new season. The rumours were valid, and after Tottenham rejected an initial bid for the midfielder they eventually agreed a deal in the region of $27m/£18m, with Sir Alex Ferguson seeing Carrick as the ideal replacement for their former captain Roy Keane.

In his first six years at Old Trafford he had many admirers and also many detractors, but this season feels like his game has gone up a level. Where previously he was quite a regular starter but played the support act to stars like Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes, he has now become one of the most noticeable players in the side. Only Robin Van Persie can claim to have been as influential this season for the soon-to-be Premier League champions.

Many supporters, particularly those of the United persuasion, feel he now has to be a regular in the England team, believing his ability to keep possession would be invaluable to a side constantly incapable of doing just that.

He’s not getting any younger and doesn’t represent the future, but a midfield trio of Carrick, captain Steven Gerrard and young prodigy Jack Wilshere should be their first-choice midfield from now up until the World Cup in Brazil in 2014.

One thing is for sure, Michael Carrick has now officially lived up to the hype surrounding him back in 1997.

2-year doping ban upheld for Finland, CSKA Moscow player

Epsilon/Getty Images
Leave a comment

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) The Court of Arbitration for Sport has upheld a two-year ban for CSKA Moscow midfielder Roman Eremenko for a positive test for cocaine.

[ MORE: Morata signs five-year contract at Chelsea ]

CAS says the ban imposed by UEFA was “appropriate” and dismissed the Finland international’s appeal.

[ MORE: Vertonghen says Spurs need to “level up” like rest of PL contenders ]

The ban will expire on Oct. 5, 2018, when Eremenko will be 31.

Eremenko tested positive after playing in a Champions League game for CSKA Moscow against Bayer Leverkusen last September. The 2-2 result was not affected despite Eremenko scoring CSKA’s second goal.

Born in Moscow, Eremenko grew up in Finland and has represented its national team 73 times.

Webb says De Jong would have been sent off with video review

Christopher Lee/Getty Images
1 Comment

NEW YORK (AP) Howard Webb says he would have given Dutch midfielder Nigel De Jong a red card in the 2010 World Cup final if a video assistant referee had been in place.

The retired English referee showed De Jong a yellow card in the 28th minute for his karate kick into the chest of Spain’s Xabi Alonso. Hired in March to oversee video technology for professional soccer in the U.S. and Canada, Webb held a media seminar Friday ahead of its Aug. 5 launch in Major League Soccer.

Webb says: “Yes, it was a clear red card. It was a clear and obvious error on my part not to send the player off, and VAR would have been able to recommend a review to me, and I would have been able to make the right call.”

Now 46, Webb was a Premier League referee from 2003-14. He worked the Champions League and World Cup finals in 2010, became director of referees at the Saudi Arabian Football Federation, and started in March as manager of video assistant referee operations for the Professional Referee Organization.

MLS Snapshot: Orlando City 0-1 Atlanta United (video)

Twitter/@MLS
Leave a comment

The game in 100 words (or less): Friday night’s effort at Orlando City Stadium wasn’t the prettiest for either side but Atlanta United will gladly take three points from the fixture as the Central Florida venue proved to be a fortress once more. The Lions were far superior in their attacking threats throughout the match, testing USMNT and Atlanta goalkeeper Brad Guzan on multiple occasions. However, it was Hector Villalba that proved to be the difference when he blasted a long-distance effort to beat Joe Bendik in the 86th minute. Atlanta extends its unbeaten streak to four matches with Friday’s decision, keeping Tata Martino’s side in fourth place in the Eastern Conference, while Orlando City moves into fifth.

Three moments that mattered

36′ — Guzan stands tall, denies Rivas — Carlos Rivas thought he scorched this one (and he did…), but Brad Guzan acted like it was nothing as he held his ground to make the stop.

39′ — Spector gets ripped off by Guzan — The U.S. goalkeeper is at it again… What a save!

86′ — Villalba unleashes stunner to propel Atlanta — Sometimes it just takes one good hit as a striker.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s MLS coverageStandings | Stats | Schedule ]

Man of the match: Brad Guzan

Goalscorers: Hector Villalba (86′)

Report: Man City adding Mendy to continue backline restoration

Richard Heathcote/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Fresh off of completing a record deal to help bolster the club’s back line this summer, Manchester City is back at it with the Premier League season looming.

[ MORE: Alvaro Morata signs five-year contract at Chelsea ]

The Citizens are reportedly on the brink of signing Monaco left back Benjamin Mendy to yet another world-record fee — which will total over $67 million.

Confirmation of the deal has yet to be announced by either team, but L’Equipe is reporting that the Citizens are hot on the 23-year-old’s trail in adding to their pricy back four.

Manager Pep Guardiola and Man City have not been shy readjusting their defensive unit over the past year, adding expensive first-team choices John Stones and Kyle Walker.