Sunderland v Everton - Premier League

Everton run into buzzsaw at Sunderland, could lose Moyes and Fellaini

1 Comment

No matter how much was on the line for Everton coming into the weekend, a date with Sunderland was always going to be a buzzsaw fixture.

The Toffees entered the match with long-shot hopes of qualifying for the Champions League, four points back of 4th place Chelsea, who held a game in hand. David Moyes’ notoriously thin side had been nursed back to health for the first time since the beginning of the season and after a robust mid-week performance in the 1-1 draw at Arsenal, it felt like few teams could stand in their way.

One of those teams, however, was Sunderland.

In 16th place and just three points clear of relegation-bound Wigan, the Wearsiders were battling for their Premier League lives. The Black Cats entered the match full of belief after last weekend’s stunning 3-0 victory over Newcastle. The derby win secured  manager Paulo Di Canio’s cult-status at the club and made concern over his political affiliations a mere footnote.

The fiery Italian put out a side that was organized, energetic and full of belief. Factor in the match being venued under the reverberating rafters of the Stadium of Light, and Sunderland were a team not to be crossed. To their credit, Everton played decently well but it didn’t matter – the Black Cats’ determination could not be matched and they fully deserved the three points.

The win came courtesy of a Stephane Sessegnon gem just before halftime. After Leighton Baines gave the ball away at midfield, Sessegnon took four dribbles and fired a hovering shot from 18 yards out to beat Tim Howard to his far post. The Benin international’s seventh goal of the campaign was all Sunderland needed to secure the three points, easing their relegation fears and setting off celebrations throughout Wearside.

For Everton, the dropped points could have massive ramifications. For starters, the loss prompted Moyes to admit that his side has almost no chance of Champions League qualification. “We probably didn’t deserve to lose the game but we didn’t play well enough to win it. I don’t think now we can make the Champions League,” the manager said.

But even more significantly, the loss could seal the departure of both Moyes and Marouane Fellaini during the summer transfer window. This winter Moyes refused to re-sign his contract at Goodison Park – set to expire this summer – fueling speculation that the 11 year veteran on Merseyside may leave the club in search of greener pastures. Manchester City, Chelsea and Schalke have been named as possible destinations and though Everton chairman Bill Kenwright could convince Moyes to stay by providing him with the finances he needs to compete, majority opinion says the notoriously frugal owner is unlikely to do so.

Fellaini’s road out of Everton is even more clear cut. Enjoying a dominant season (11 goals, 5 assists in 27 appearances), the 25 year old has been heavily linked to Chelsea and, more recently, Russian outfits Anzhi Makhachkala and Zenit St. Petersburg. The Belgian has made clear his intent to play Champions League football and although his current deal at Everton isn’t set to expire until 2016, a $35m (£23m) escape clause is viewed as a fair market trigger for big clubs to pull.

In the meantime Everton will set its sites on competing with 5th place Tottenham in a spot for the Europa League. To do so the Toffees will need to take maximum points from their four remaining fixtures against Fulham (H), Liverpool (A), West Ham (H) and Chelsea (A).

Thibaut Courtois committed to Chelsea despite links to PSG

WATFORD, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 03:  Thibaut Courtois of Chelsea in action during the Barclays Premier League match between Watford and Chelsea at Vicarage Road on February 3, 2016 in Watford, England.  (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Thibaut Courtois has denied reports he could leave London for Paris Saint-Germain this summer after a disappointing season at Chelsea.

The 23-year-old goalkeeper missed a large portion of the season through injury and failed to regain his top form when healthy as the Blues struggled throughout the year.

With a new manager in Antonio Conte taking over in June, some believed Courtois would be sold to allow the Italian to bring in a goalkeeper of his choice.

[ MORE: Atletico Madrid reach UCL final ]

Despite recent reports linking Courtois with a transfer to PSG that would make him the most expensive goalkeeper in the world, the Belgian international does not fancy a move to France.

Speaking to French newspaper Le Parisien, Courtois said he is happy at Chelsea and will “100-percent” be back at Stamford Bridge next season.

I have never had any contact with PSG. I have played a lot against PSG recently – twice last season, again this season in a friendly and twice more in the Champions League this year.

They are a good club who win their league easily. Me, I like playing in England. Paris is a very good club but I am happy at Chelsea.

I have a contract for three years, so I will say 100 per cent [be staying at Chelsea]. Rumours affect any club where things are going badly. People think the top players want to leave because they are not in the Champions League.

Those words show quite a change from Courtois’ opinion a few months ago, when he cast doubt over his Chelsea future.

At just 23, Courtois has already made more than 200 appearances in his career for Atletico Madrid and Chelsea. Although he did not have a standout season this year, Courtois has shown his talent as a potential top-five goalkeeper in the world and Conte would be wise to keep him.

Former CONMEBOL president has petition to stop extradition rejected

leoz
www.t13.cl
Leave a comment

ASUNCION, Paraguay (AP) Paraguay’s top court has rejected a petition by Nicolas Leoz, the former head of the South American football confederation, to halt his extradition to the United States.

Leoz is being held under house arrest in Paraguay. He is accused of receiving millions in bribes and kickbacks and was among dozens of top officials indicted in the FIFA corruption scandal.

[ FOLLOW: Leicester City’s miracle ]

Leoz’s lawyer Ricardo Preda told The Associated Press that his petition was turned down, but that he would continue to appeal against the extradition.

Leoz was the head of CONMEBOL from 1986 until 2013 when he resigned, and was replaced by Eugenio Figueredo of Uruguay.

Figueredo is under house arrest in Uruguay on similar charges. Figueredo was replaced by Juan Angel Napoul of Paraguay, who is under house arrest in Miami.

Cristiano Ronaldo back healthy for Real Madrid; will play vs. Man City

MADRID, SPAIN - MAY 03:  Cristiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid warms up during a training session ahead of the UEFA Champions League Semi Final Second Leg between Real Madrid and Manchester City at Valdebebas training ground on May 3, 2016 in Madrid, Spain.  (Photo by Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane has confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo is “100-percent” for Wednesday’s Champions League semifinal match against Manchester City.

Ronaldo missed the first leg at the Etihad while recovering from a thigh injury, which ended a scoreless draw.

[ MORE: UCL semifinal preview ]

The Champions League’s all-time leading scorer with 93 goals, Ronaldo has not featured for Real since suffering the injury in a La Liga match against Villarreal on April 20.

Real Madrid had the better of chances in the first leg in Manchester, but Joe Hart’s heroics stopped Zidane’s side from grabbing an all-important away goal. However, Ronaldo’s absence was clearly visible and his return is a massive boost for Real.

[ RELATED: Atletico Madrid eliminate Bayern Munich, advance to UCL final ]

Even if Ronaldo is not 100-percent fit as Zidane claims, his inclusion in the lineup is still vital for Real’s success. A threat in so many different aspects of the game, his presence alone can throw off opposing defenses, leaving more time and space for his teammates to expose a City back-line that has its flaws.

Premier League chairman: Leicester City made mugs of all of us

LEICESTER, ENGLAND - MAY 03:  Leicester reacts to Leicester City's Premier League Title Success on May 03, 2016 in Leicester, England.  (Photo by Matthew Lewis/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Premier League executive chairman Richard Scudamore has been around football for a long time, but even he can’t explain Leicester City’s miraculous title run.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s Leicester coverage ]

With the Foxes now officially champions of England, Scudamore hailed the achievement as “the biggest sporting story ever.”

Speaking to BBC Sport, the Premier League’s top exec said Leicester’s run has silenced all the bookmakers and critics who said it could never happen, but that he wouldn’t want it any other way.

It’s probably the biggest sporting story ever and the biggest sporting achievement ever.

Nobody saw it coming and even when it was halfway through the season nobody said it could be sustained.

We don’t know what the future holds because we’ve all become completely hopeless at predicting anything, including the bookmakers and everybody else – because this one nobody saw coming.

It’s made mugs of all of us and that is just the most fantastic feeling.

If the bookmakers had it as a 5,000-1 event, you would imagine you should achieve these type of things once every 5,000 years. It gives us 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years of being able to say: ‘Leicester 2016. Just remember Leicester 2016.’

Pegged as pre-season favorites for relegation, Leicester defied the odds (5,000-1 odds) and claimed the most unlikely of championships. A top executive with the Premier League since 1999, even Scudamore had to admit he had a bit of egg on his face.

[ VOTE: What is the top moment from Leicester’s fairytale run? ]

Scudamore may not have believed in the Foxes, but few outside the city really did. One thing the chairman did have right though, is that we will all remember ‘Leicester 2016.’