Jack Warner resigns as national security minister of Trinidad & Tobago following fraud report

4 Comments

Three days after a CONCACAF ethics panel accused Jack Warner of enriching himself through fraud, the former CONCACAF president and FIFA executive committee member resigned from his position as national security minister of Trinidad & Tobago.

Warner tendered his resignation to T&T Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar on Sunday night merely 11 months after she raised eyebrows by naming Warner to the position. Warner’s resignation followed CONCACAF’s release of a 113 page report into allegations of financial mismanagement by Warner and ex-general secretary Chuck Blazer.

In the report committee member David Simmons accused Warner of misappropriating at least $15 million by compensating himself with CONCACAF funds without authorization after his last contract expired in July 1998. Simmons’ investigation also found that Warner did not disclose to CONCACAF or FIFA that a $25.9 million Center of Excellence, which is no longer as asset of CONCACAF, was built on land owned by his companies. Among other complaints Warner was also accused of mismanaging nearly $1 million in FIFA funds slated for a reconstruction project in Haiti.

Warner is no stranger to allegations of fraud and controversy. In June 2011 he resigned as CONCACAF president after he was accused of attempting to bribe Caribbean delegates $40,000 each to vote for then-Asian confederation head Mohamed bin Hammam in the election for president of FIFA. Those allegations compelled Warner to give up his powerful position on FIFA’s executive committee. By walking away Warner avoided having to face a FIFA Ethics Commission inquiry.

Given Warner’s checkered past many people were surprised when Persad-Bissessar appointed the ex-soccer powerbroker as security minister of T&T. Shortly after the appointment Warner was sharply criticized for dispatching troops and riot police to remove a protest camp built by environmentalists. He also made headlines by announcing his intent to stop the release of crime reports and statistics, arguing that publicizing such information only encouraged more crime.

For Trinidadians, Warner’s resignation was a long time coming. “The ceaseless allegations have been going on too long,” said Winford James, a political analyst and newspaper columnist. “They have affected the public psyche, which has been under siege. It will hurt the government – the PM took too long – but will win some friends for her that some action has been taken.”

The report previously prompted Blazer to stand down from his position as an executive committee member of FIFA after detailing that the American received more than $20 million in compensation from CONCACAF, including $17 million in commission. An election held last Friday confirmed that Sunil Gulati, the current president of the United States Soccer Federation, would be replacing Blazer. Gulati won the vote 18-17, defeating runner-up FMF President Justino Compean, of Mexico. Gulati will formerly replace Blazer on May 30, 2013.

With the removal of Warner from his position of power within Trinidad & Tobago and Blazer from FIFA one hopes the region can begin to march forward in a positive manner, both politically and athletically. By reducing the corruption within CONCACAF and FIFA, relations should begin to improve with FIFA President Sepp Blatter, who has made clear his dissent of soccer in the region.

Moyes roasts West Ham players after loss to Watford

Getty Images
Leave a comment

After his first game in charge of West Ham, David Moyes thought he had a better squad. Apparently he was mistaken.

A 2-0 loss to Watford gave Moyes a rude awakening as he looks to replace Slaven Bilic and pull the Hammers out of the relegation zone. He was not pleased with his players.

“Overall, that level of performance will not be good enough,” Moyes told reporters after the match.

He wasn’t done.

“I thought this was a big job, but there were some players with big reputations who disappointed me. There were some who I thought would show me more, and why they play for the team regularly. They need to show me, ‘If that’s your reputation, show me why you’ve got it.'”

He backtracked slightly, agreeing that the players are in a difficult position changing managers, but ultimately that excuse wasn’t enough for him. “It’s tough for the players – I could sense that – but I didn’t enjoy our performance in the end. I didn’t enjoy us giving the ball away too cheaply, too many times and I expected us to do better.”

Moyes even called out striker Andy Carroll, saying he removed the England international because he feared Carroll would pick up a second yellow card. Carroll had picked up his caution seven seconds into the match, leaving Marvin Zeegelaar with a bloody nose after an elbow to the face, something Carroll has been sent off for earlier this season.

“I thought we defended OK,” Moyes said, “but then we gave away cheap goals by getting bundled off the ball and we didn’t really deal with it. We didn’t do well enough in all departments at different times.”

That’s about as ruthless as you’ll ever hear the mild-mannered David Moyes, and all West Ham players should beware that their places in the team are in jeopardy.

Napoli takes commanding Serie A lead after Juventus loss

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Six-time Serie A defending champions Juventus are in trouble. Not a lot, but the heat has been turned up.

A wild 3-2 loss to Sampdoria means the Italian giants are now four points back of Napoli in the Serie A table, and heading into their Champions League matchup with Barcelona, there is plenty of soul-searching to do in Turin.

Juventus nearly mounted what would have been a monumental comeback, down 3-0 heading into stoppage-time but posting goals by Gonzalo Higuain and Paulo Dybala in the first and fourth minutes of injury time. It was not to be, and the four-point deficit through 13 games not only leaves Juventus looking at Napoli more than a game in front of them, but also over their shoulders at Roma and Inter Milan both a point behind in third and fourth.

Goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon was kept out of the lineup as he continues to deal emotionally with the World Cup miss, and it showed. After a scoreless first half at Stadio Luigi Ferraris, Duzan Zapata beat Stephan Lichtensteiner in the air and sent a looping header over a flatfooted Wojciech Szczesny for the opening goal.

With 20 minutes to go, Sampdoria struck again as former Premier League creator Gaston Ramirez fed 21-year-old Lucas Torreira at the top of the box, and with nobody closing him down, he fired into the bottom-left corner of the net. They got the eventual winner nine minutes later after an embarrassing defensive breakdown by the visitors. A free-kick saw two attackers in front of net against five defenders, but somehow Gianmarco Ferrari was completely unmarked in front of the net for a tap-in.

Higuain struck from the penalty spot and Dybala hit on the counter to beat Emiliano Vivaldo at his near post, but it wasn’t enough for Juventus. The defensive frailty will need to be corrected moving forward, as they face a vital match at Napoli on December 1st, and a loss there could spell disaster for their title charge.

American right back Moore makes first La Liga start

@LevanteUD
Leave a comment

La Liga saw an American amongst its Starting XIs on Sunday.

Shaquell Moore made his first La Liga start in Levante’s 2-0 win at Las Palmas on Sunday.

According to WhoScored, Moore completed 71 percent of his passes, had three interceptions and four tackles won. He was credited with one key pass and three crosses.

[ MORE: McKennie impresses again ]

The right back turned 21 earlier this month, and our primitive research shows him as the first U.S. player to make a La Liga start since Oguchi Onyewu at Malaga in 2013.

Oddly enough, Sunday’s opposition had an American on the books last season with Emmanuel Sabbi skipped college soccer to join Las Palmas. Sabbi joined Danish side Hobro this summer, and made his first start on Friday.

Jozy Altidore spent time with Villarreal and Kasey Keller played for Rayo Vallecano.

Levante’s next match is Sunday at Real Sociedad.

Spurs reportedly have right to match any Bale bid

Leave a comment

What’s Gareth Bale worth these days? And how much higher than that figure is Manchester United willing to go?

Those are the two main questions that arise from the idea that Tottenham Hotspur may have a contractual privilege to match any offer made to Real Madrid for the ex-Spurs star.

[ MORE: McKennie impresses again ]

Bale, 28, was worth $112 million in today’s dollars when Real bought him in 2013. He has 70 goals and 55 assists in 159 matches for the Spanish outfit.

How much is he worth now? Certainly nothing near the same figure, as Romelu Lukaku went for $99 million this summer and Alvaro Morata went for $80 million.

The Express says Real expects $112 million right back for Bale, which seems insane. Bale has three goals and four assists in nine matches for Real this summer, and had nine and five in 27 outings last season.

Bale did, however, scored 19 goals in 23 La Liga matches two seasons ago, but he’s dealt with significant injuries on a near-annual basis.

Spurs transfer record is the $48 million it spent on Davinson Sanchez this summer. Whatever Manchester United, or anything suitor, will bid for Bale will likely be higher than that figure.

At one point would it make sense for Spurs to smash their record and wage structure to line up Bale, Dele Alli, Harry Kane, and Christian Eriksen in the same attack (I mean, holy smoke, just close your eyes and visualize that!).

Real reportedly wants to make the move happen in January, while United wants to do it in the summer.