The day speculation began that Park Ji-sung might soon be done with professional soccer, I said that it was a darn shame. I saw the former Manchester United attacker as perfect MLS target.
Now we know the longtime South Korean international isn’t quite as “done” as some early reports indicated.
Park certainly has the requisite skill and experience, not only for those big years as role player for Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford, but also for those 100 South Korean caps.
As I said that day (in the comments on this piece from Mike Prindiville), Major League Soccer is still a little short on Asian stars. Lee Nguyen, Dallas-born and raised but with Vietnamese roots is doing something about it in New England. And Vancouver has three excellent Asian transplants in Young-Pyo Lee, Daigo Kobayashi and Jun Marques Davidson. Those are the highlights – but they would all take a back seat to Park.
And today comes new that it just may happen. The Daily Mail says a “number of MLS clubs” would like to add the skillful midfielder, who will not return to relegated Queens Park Rangers next year. Don’t forget, Park played alongside Toronto manager Ryan Nelsen just a few months ago at Loftus Road.
Joe Prince-Wright also mentioned earlier today at PST that Park is an example of an older player who seems to fit in MLS (a league where older types are anything but a slam-dunk success, as we know).
Here is one more important element to remember as MLS clubs and, if you believe the Mail piece, even more teams in Asia, chase Park:
He may be 32, but it’s not exactly a “hard” 32. That’s down to his role at Manchester United, where he was a frequent Champions League participant but mostly someone to bring off the bench in Premiership matches. That surely prevented some wear on the tires, so to speak — and that makes Park something more of a 30- or 31-year old in practical terms.
Middlesbrough has impressed at times during its return to the Premier League this season, and now the club looks to bolster its backline as the transfer window closes.
[ MORE: Aguero could miss Manchester derby after FA charge ]
The club announced the loan signing of Arsenal defender Calum Chambers on Tuesday, providing the Boro with a promising young player to contribute in the back.
Chambers, 21, has made 58 appearances in the PL with both the Gunners and Southampton, while also earning three caps for England.
Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka revaled his excitement over the signing, while also stating that the player addresses a big need on the backline.
“I’m really pleased,” said Karanka. “It’s a position where we’ve been working towards bringing the right player in. We haven’t been in a hurry because Calum was the player we were waiting for, and he’s going to help us a lot.”
The Gunners have been heavily criticized for not spending enough during the transfer season, however, Arsene Wenger has gotten the man he wanted to help out defensively.
[ MORE: Rooney retiring from England after 2018 World Cup ]
Arsenal announced the signing of Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi on Tuesday, after the German centerback had been previously been linked to the club for some time as their top transfer target.
Mustafi will likely figure immediately into the Arsenal defense, which has also added Rob Holding this summer. The 24-year-old made over 64 appearances for Valencia while in La Liga after beginning his academy career in England with Everton.
Hope Solo hasn’t had the best couple of weeks since the U.S. Women’s National Team bailed out of the 2016 Olympics.
On Tuesday, the U.S. keeper announced her decision to take a step back from her club team as well after receiving a six-month ban from U.S. Soccer.
The veteran American shot stopper took to Twitter to make her decision known, leaving her status unknown with the Seattle Reign in the future. Solo remains under contract until the end of the current campaign, however, it is not known as to how her decision to sit out will affect her financially.
Solo wil be eligible to return to the USWNT in February, but it will be up to head coach Jill Ellis to reintroduce the 35-year-old into the fold.
U.S. Men’s National Team and LA Galaxy forward Gyasi Zardes will miss the rest of the MLS regular season with a broken bone in his right foot.
It was initially believed on Monday that the U.S. attacker could be out until the end of 2016 after suffering the injury in Saturday’s 0-0 draw against the Vancouver Whitecaps.
Zardes was taken down by Whitecaps defender Kendall Waston during the latter stages of the match, with the Costa Rican apparently catching the inside of the 24-year-old’s foot, ultimately causing the injury.
Because of his extended absence, Zardes was ruled out of consideration for the USMNT squad ahead of their upcoming CONCACAF World Cup qualifying matches vs. St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad & Tobago.