According to Andre Villas-Boas, Gareth Bale’s future is at Tottenham

Leave a comment

One week after triggering anxiety over Gareth Bale’s possible departure from Tottenham this summer, manager Andre Villas-Boas has back-tracked claiming he would be “extremely surprised” if the Welsh winger left the club.

Following quickly on the heels of Bale’s impressive coup of the Football Writers’ Association Player of the Year Award, Villas-Boas claimed Thursday that the player would remain at White Hart Lane next season, regardless of whether Spurs qualify for the Champions League. The manager’s announcement set straight statements he made last week that Bale might leave the club if a Top 4 finish isn’t achieved.

“The information that I have from the club, which was mistakenly written about last week, is that the player is here to remain, independent of the objectives of Champions League qualification being achieved or not,” Villas-Boas said. He continued, “I would be extremely surprised (if he left). . . . In football anything can happen. It’s impossible to predict, but this is the assurance I have had from the club.”

With Thursday’s announcement of Bale’s FWA honors – adding to the Professional Footballers’ Association double he snapped up earlier in the week – Villas-Boas admitted that the accolades have sparked recognition from both interested clubs and media. But the Portuguese insisted that the attention only underlined the importance of the club needing “to move forward by holding onto its best players.”

Earlier in the week Real Madrid sporting director Zinedine Zidane explained that Tottenham could command £40-£60m for the Welshman’s services and that while only three or four teams in the world “can pay that sort of transfer fee and it won’t put them off.”

But Villas-Boas now rubbishes such insinuations claiming, “[w]hatever price tag the player has doesn’t matter to us because he’s our player.” And apparently, the manager intends to keep it that way. “He’s a player we have to hold onto for the remaining seasons to make sure that we reach our objectives and continue to progress as a club.”

While Villas-Boas claims that he’s been given assurances by the club, he admits that anything can happen in football and “[i]t is impossible to predict.”

When it comes to this situation, there are two things that are impossible to predict. First is how Spurs chairman Daniel Levy reacts when he is presented with an offer. Sure, he wants to build a squad around Bale. But when £60m is put in front of him things begin to change. With that kind of money Levy could drastically hedge his club’s liability and increase its productivity by adding 2-3 world class players while still having some money left in the bank.

The second thing that’s impossible to predict is how Bale himself will react when the likes of Real Madrid and Bayern Munich come calling. No matter how much of a home-body the 23 year old claims to be, the likelihood of raising domestic and Champions League trophies is much higher at Madrid or Munich than at White Hart Lane. And then factor the possibility of being able to do that while making double the money and things start getting real. Like, life-altering real.

Are you still sitting there thinking that forcing a transfer is beyond Bale?

Don’t make me laugh. Professional football is not a game, it’s just a business. Deal with it as you will.

USMNT: Brooks out with hip strain; World Cup qualifiers loom

AP Photo/Michael Sohn
Leave a comment

John Brooks is out of Hertha Berlin’s lineup “for the time being” after scans revealed a hip strain suffered in this weekend’s win over Wolfsburg.

That’s all Hertha has said, and that makes it hard to imagine whether American fans should be a little concerned or very concerned ahead of the USMNT’s World Cup qualifiers against Mexico, and Trinidad and Tobago in early June.

Brooks was unavailable for two weeks with an adductor strain in September, missing a month before returning to the starting lineup.

The U.S. center back pool isn’t teeming after Brooks and Geoff Cameron. Matt Besler, Tim Ream, Omar Gonzalez, and Walker Zimmerman were called up for the last World Cup qualifiers, and Gonzalez struggled but is a Bruce Arena favorite from their time in L.A.

WATCH: Snazzy Sargent goal leads U.S. U-17s past Mexico

twitter.com/_joshsargent_
Leave a comment

Josh Sargent scored a pretty goal as the United States Soccer program had another banner day against Mexico.

Nearly two months to the day after the U.S. U-20 side beat Mexico for the first time in 31 years, the U.S. U-17 topped El Tri for the first time ever. That win snapped Mexico’s 25-match unbeaten streak.

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

The goal is the first of Sargent’s two goals, as the 16-year-old latched onto a long diagonal ball and used his right foot and head to move the ball into position for a strong shot.

The U.S. clinches a spot in the next round of U-17 World Cup qualifying with one match remaining in group play.

Sargent is from St. Louis and plays with Scott Gallagher-Missouri. Former Philadelphia Union coach John Hackworth coaches the U.S. U-17s.

Heads of South American soccer sent $128M in bank transfers

AP Photo/Esteban Felix
Leave a comment

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) The leaders of South America’s soccer confederation transferred $128.6 million between 2000 and 2015 to personal accounts, suspicious accounts, or unauthorized third-party accounts, according to an audit released Wednesday by Ernst & Young.

According to the audit presented to the annual CONMEBOL congress in the Chilean capital, the confederation’s former president Nicolas Leoz transferred $26.9 million to his personal accounts. Leoz was the president for 27 years until resigning in 2013 for what he said were health reasons.

The audit also found $58 million in payments “to third parties without adequate documentation,” payments of $33.3 million to “unidentified accounts,” and $10.4 million to “suspicious third-parties.”

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

“We had said that we would have four pillars, and the first two pillars were clear accounts and accountability,” said Alejandro Dominguez, the president of CONMEBOL who commissioned the audit last year. “Today we are accountable to the leaders and the whole world of football.”

Leoz, 88, is one of three ex-presidents of CONMEBOL accused on corruption charges by the United States Department of Justice. He is in Paraguay fighting extradition to the United States.

The South American body has been plagued by corruption, which was exposed two years ago during the FIFA scandal. Leoz’s two successors, Eugenio Figueredo and Juan Angel Napout, were both arrested on corruption charges.

“I’m here, I’m the manager” – Moyes will not quit Sunderland

Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Leave a comment

This has been one horrible stretch for David Moyes.

The Sunderland manager probably thought he’d been through the worst once he left Real Sociedad, where he went 12-15-15.

But he’s managed just seven wins and seven draws in 38 matches in charge of the Black Cats — an 18 percent win mark. He’s also been charged for threatening to slap a female journalist.

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

And after Wednesday, Moyes has lost both of his derby matches against Middlesbrough.

Sunderland is 12 points back of safety with five matches left. The odds the Black Cats are headed for the Championship are somewhere north of 99 percent, and fans are calling for his job.

Well, he isn’t quitting. From the BBC:

“No, I’m here, I’m the manager, you take it on the chin. … I’m a football supporter, I know what it’s like. You don’t like seeing your team lose.

“There is nobody who wants to win more than me. I am used to winning, I’m not used to losing and I don’t want to get used to it either.”