Toronto FC v Columbus Crew

MLS Preview: New York Red Bulls at Columbus Crew

Leave a comment

First of all, no jokes about scoreboards burning up and such.  K?

Yes, the Crew Stadium scoreboard caught on fire last week, and it was weird … and now we move on.

There’s plenty to talk about otherwise as New York visits the Crew in an Eastern Conference battle that highlights an unusually light Saturday. The game’s 4 p.m. ET kickoff is the first of just five matches through the evening; this one is on NBC Sports Network.

We can start with the relatively similar, mid-pack positioning of these two clubs, which is significant only due to the wildly disparate expectations entering Major League Soccer’s 2013 season.

New York hasn’t quite been all that, fumbling around a bit to launch Mike Petke’s first season in charge but finding its feet recently and now gaining some real confidence.  Last week’s 2-1 win at Toronto made it two in a row on the road and two in a row overall.

It really was an important three points for a team that has performed well most of the season – but hasn’t always turned fashionable performance into points. “The discipline and consistency has to be there,” said Tim Cahill, provider of both goals against TFC, “and that’s what we said before the game. I suppose a lot of people were looking at us to see whether we could pull off the result, because Toronto are a good team.”

Cahill will presumably play deeper in the midfield once again while midfielder Dax McCarty continues to mend a slight quad tear. Petke will have Brazilian midfielder Juninho available again; he returns after serving a two-game suspension.

They will face one of Major League Soccer’s best organized teams. Under manager Robert Warzych the Crew has managed to be one of the league’s toughest teams to face, even when the talent wasn’t always tip-top.

The Crew does now have talent, although it hasn’t always coalesced in 2012. Federico Higuain (pictured) was stirring up league MVP talk in preseason, but two goals and two assists in eight matches is nothing like last year’s stunning production.

Nor has Jairo Arrieta found his scoring shoes in 2013, although the Costa Rican international did contribute significantly on Dominic Oduro’s opening goal during last week’s 3-0 win over D.C. United.

That was Arrieta’s first start since March 23.

Speaking of “not coalescing:” Petke’s defense is giving up a goal and a half a match, hardly what Petke wants. Teams in championship form are going to be nearer a goal a game, tops.

Petke continues to look for the best back line foursome; Roy Miller is now back in at left back, having overcome some recent struggles. And speaking of struggles, goalkeeper Luis Robles gave up another bad goal in last week’s win over Toronto. The Red Bulls won’t be able to survive the howlers all year.

Then again, they shouldn’t need to. Ryan Meara and veteran Kevin Hartman should soon be fit and sharp, giving Petke’s further options.

Robben extends contract with Bayern Munich through June 2018

(L-R) Thomas Muller of Bayern Munchen, Philipp Lahm of Bayern Munchen, Arjen Robben of Bayern Munchen during the German Bundesliga match between Borussia Mönchengladbach and FC Bayern München at Borussia Park on January 24, 2014 in Mönchengladbach, Germany.(Photo by VI Images via Getty Images)
Photo by VI Images via Getty Images
Leave a comment

BERLIN (AP) Arjen Robben has extended his contract with Bayern Munich for another year.

Bayern says the Netherlands winger’s contract will run until the end of June 2018.

[ MORE: Names to watch in Tuesday’s SuperDraft ]

Robben has been with the club for almost eight years, joining from Real Madrid in 2009.

He has scored 82 goals in 152 Bundesliga matches, 14 goals in 23 German Cup games and 21 goals in 53 Champions League matches, including the winning goal against Borussia Dortmund in the 2013 Champions League final.

Antonio Valencia extends Manchester United deal

LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 18:  Cesar Azpilicueta of Chelsea marshalls Luis Antonio Valencia of Manchester United during the Barclays Premier League match between Chelsea and Manchester United at Stamford Bridge on April 18, 2015 in London, England.  (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)
Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Antonio Valencia has a fan in Jose Mourinho.

The Manchester United fullback, 31, has added a year to his contract. Scheduled to become a free agent after this season, his contract now runs through 2018.

[ MORE: Chinese club claims big bids ]

Ecuador’s captain, Valencia arrived at United from Wigan in 2009 after spending time with El Nacional and Villarreal.

He has 21 goals in 270 appearances, and has played 2,042 minutes under Mourinho. This season, Valencia is averaging 2.4 tackles and 1.8 interceptions per match.

Follow @NicholasMendola

Ten names to watch as the MLS SuperDraft concludes

http://unhwildcats.com/
unhwildcats.com
Leave a comment

After three days of celebrating its first two rounds, Major League Soccer will complete its surprise-ridden 2017 SuperDraft on Tuesday with a 2 p.m. EDT conference call.

Friday’s first round featured fewer trades than many expected, and a bit of a stunner in its first overall pick: Minnesota United tabbed UCLA attacker Abu Danladi.

[ MORE: Chinese club claims big bids ]

Danladi would’ve gone soon after, however, with most of the surprises coming outside of the Top Six. Vancouver’s opted for outside back Jakob Nerwinski (UConn) at 7, Houston tabbed Hofstra’s Joe Holland at 10, and Colorado looked to its backyard for Denver’s Sam Hamilton.

That helped Brandon Aubrey slide to 21st, while Canada’s two Generation Adidas players, Adonijah Reid and Shamit Shome, dipped deep into the second round.

It also means some very productive college players, and supposed first round prospects, could be hungry steals when the draft returns today. Here’s some low-risk, high-reward players for rounds that sometimes see teams pass on individual picks altogether.

Chris Wingate, MID, New Hampshire — Engine room feature piece at UNH

Wulito Fernandes, FWD, UMass Lowell — Cape Verde striker has flair

Jorge Gomez Sanchez, FWD, Temple — 27 goals in two years is good

Chris Nanco, FWD, Syracuse — Showed big upside at MLS Combine

Brandt Bronico, MID, Charlotte — Steadied any worries at Combine

Daniel Deakin, FWD, South Carolina — English striker great at set pieces

Russell Cicerone, FWD, Buffalo — Combine overshadowed solid four years

Christian Thierjung, FWD, California — 18 goals last two seasons

Eddie Sanchez, MID, Portland — Game changer in WCC; Can it translate?

Jordan Wilson, DEF, Kentucky — Scottish center back did well at UK

Follow @NicholasMendola

New rules crushed Chinese club’s Costa hopes

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 03:  Diego Costa of Chelsea celebrates scoring his team's first goal during the Premier League match between Manchester City and Chelsea at Etihad Stadium on December 3, 2016 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)
Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
Leave a comment

New Chinese Super League rules stopped the nation from acquiring four of the biggest names in the football world.

Tianjin Quanjian believed it had successful bids lined up for Chelsea’s Diego Costa in addition to Real Madrid frontman Karim Benzema, Monaco’s Radamel Falcao, and PSG’s Edinson Cavani.

[ MORE: Costa trains on his own ]

And Tianjin Quanjian owner Shu Yuhui says it had Falcao and Benfica forward Raul Jimenez signed and sealed before the new rules were announced. The club already has Korean midfielder Kwon Kyung-won, Belgian midfielder Axel Witsel, and Brazil’s Geuvânio on the books.

But the new rules, which will limit the amount of foreign players on a team to three, hampered his hopes. From the BBC:

But Chinese clubs will only be able to field three foreign players per game when the new season starts.

“This situation has brought a change to our signing plans,” said Shu.

“The online reports about Costa – it’s true we’d like him, and we made an offer for Cavani and were deep in negotiations,” said Shu.

So clearly Costa’s “back injury” seems more likely to be the burden of financial desires on his shoulders. That said, MLS commissioner Don Garber will crack a wry smile at the new rules.

Follow @NicholasMendola