Robbie Rogers says “a really good chance” he will play in Major League Soccer this year

3 Comments

Things are moving awfully fast for young Robbie Rogers these days. Maybe even faster than we thought.

It has been just three months since Rogers retired, creating that big stir with his revelation of being gay. He said he was done with soccer at the time, for the foreseeable future, at least.

It’s been just days since Rogers was found training with the Galaxy. It sounded like a pretty casual bit – kicking the tires, so to speak, on a return to the professional game which once made him such a promising star.

Sunday morning Rogers said there was “a really good chance” that he would be in a Major League Soccer uniform this season. Rogers said so during an interview on Soccer Today – full disclosure, that is a radio show-podcast that I co-host alongside ESPN’s Marc Stein; the show link is here, although today’s podcast has yet to be posted.

What Rogers said after a week of training with the Galaxy:

“To be honest, I had no plans of going back to football at all and definitely not this soon. But I was looking over some video clips that MLS sent to, I think it was CNN or ABC, of me just training, fooling around and just enjoying football. … And it kind of just like, ‘Oh my gosh, I miss this stuff.’

“I just need a bit more time to evaluate and to see how things play out, but I’ve really enjoyed myself [with the Galaxy]. It feels normal to be back. I’ve grown up playing soccer my whole life. I’ve always been on a soccer field, so I feel at home on a soccer field.”

Rogers admitted he was nervous the first time he walked into the locker room but soon felt totally comfortable again and completely welcome.

The next hitch in all this, however, is that Rogers’ MLS rights belong to Chicago. And it sounds like he has no plans to be a member of Frank Klopas’ team at Toyota Park. Rogers prefers California and the Galaxy, where he was born and raised, where he trained last summer while getting in shape for the coming England campaign and where he has a good relationship with manager Bruce Arena.

I don’t want to go to Chicago. I think if it comes down to you can only play in Chicago, then I probably won’t go back. I need to do it somewhere where I’m totally 100 percent comfortable so … I would most likely do it closest to my family. … I’m not closing the doors or saying no to anyone else that I’ve talked to but … that would be my priority.”

As I said earlier this week, this would be a huge “win” for Major League Soccer. Getting Rogers back in an MLS uniform wouldn’t just be great for what it demonstrates about cultural acceptance, but because the league needs all the quality it can get, and the more American-born quality the better.

(MORE: Free Robbie Rogers! The obstacle to overcome for an MLS return)

Wigan, Manchester City cooperating with police after pitch invasion

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Some Wigan Athletic fans got a little too excited following the club’s shock 1-0 win over Manchester City in the FA Cup, and the police are now investigating alleged crimes that happened on the field and outside of the stadium.

Police confirmed to the BBC that two supporters were arrested outside the stadium on suspicion of assault while the police are working with both Wigan and Man City to investigate what happened pitch side after the final whistle.

[READ: Wigan bounce 10-man Man City]

Man City striker Sergio Aguero was involved in an altercation with a fan on the field after the game, and it appeared that Man City supporters threw down advertising hoardings onto the field.

“Football is a family event and the disruption that players and fans alike faced will not be tolerated,” Greater Manchester police chief superintendent Stuart Ellison told the BBC. “As soon as people were on the pitch, we immediately deployed our resources to the front of the stands, where they were able to keep the two groups of supporters apart and prevent any further disruption.”

Report: Villarreal defender Semedo arrested on charges of alleged assault, kidnapping

Getty Images
Leave a comment

For the third time in the past four months, Ruben Semedo has found himself in trouble with the law.

According to a report from Spain, the Villarreal centerback was arrested Tuesday morning at his home on charges of assault, kidnapping and robbery. A complaint filed to the police by a victim alleges that Semedo and two others tied the victim up and locked the victim in a room in Semedo’s home.

Semedo and the others then allegedly took the victim’s keys and went to the victim’s house, where they allegedly stole money and/or other valuable items.

[READ: Wigan shock Man City in FA Cup]

Villarreal has yet to respond to the latest incident off the field, which has marred Semedo’s season and the club’s reputation. Semedo has only played four times this year as he’s currently recovering from a right leg injury, and he’s been sidelined with a variety of injuries since joining from Sporting Lisbon for around $17.3 million last summer.

This is Semedo’s third time in trouble with the law. Last October, after a long night of partying, Semedo allegedly smashed a bottle over someone’s head. In November, in the early hours of the morning following an all-night session at a night club, Semedo pointed a gun at a member of the night club’s security staff after an argument earlier in the evening forced Semedo to leave.

For the latter crime, the local prosecutor is pushing for two years in prison. If the current allegations can be proven true, Semedo could face even more time behind bars.

As of right now, it seems incredibly unlikely that Semedo could feature for Portugal in the World Cup, as he’ll have more important matters to deal with.

Russian authorities fine hotels for World Cup price-gouging

Getty Images
Leave a comment

MOSCOW (AP) Russian authorities in two cities say they have issued hundreds of fines after finding many hotels were illegally hiking prices for the World Cup.

The Rospotrebnadzor consumer regulator says one Moscow hotel raised prices up to 570 percent above what is allowed by a government decree designed to prevent excessive profiteering during the tournament.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

The regulator’s Moscow branch says it issued fines totaling 5.95 million rubles ($105,000) to 198 legal entities and 181 people.

In the Ural mountain city of Yekaterinburg, where Mexico and France will each play a group game, the regulator said it fined seven hotels, some of which were charging almost three times the allowed rate for rooms.

Russian authorities have taken a hands-on approach to regulating hotel and travel costs during the tournament to prevent the negative publicity of visiting fans being charged large sums.

Spanish police dismantle match-fixing scheme in 3rd, 4th tiers

Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MADRID (AP) Spanish police have dismantled a match-fixing scheme involving players and clubs in the country’s lower divisions.

Authorities said more than 20 people have been detained as part of the police operation launched on Monday, including players, although no names were immediately disclosed.

The matches under suspicion were in the third and fourth divisions this season and last season.

The match-fixing scheme reportedly involved Chinese betting sites.

The Spanish league said the operation was based on information collected by its analysts about suspicious activities.