Altidore 5

Is Jozy Altidore’s Dutch club about to make some trouble for the U.S. national team striker?

5 Comments

If we trace the roots of where things flew temporarily askew for Jozy Altidore last year, it started with his Dutch club’s uncooperative ways.

AZ Alkmaar insisted that Altidore rest upon completion of the Dutch season one year back, not permitting the U.S. striker to join up with Jurgen Klinsmann’s late May camp. No one around the U.S. staff was happy about it, especially not as it became apparent that Altidore’s fitness had suffered during the two-week break.

It became slightly more involved from there, but a message was sent and heard, Altidore worked his way back into good graces … and all was good for player and country once again.

But is it all about to happen again?

Altidore says AZ will not release him until days before the United States meets Jamaica on June 7. That’s about two weeks after Klinsmann gathers his team in California (on May 21 or 22) to prepare for two big friendlies and then a threesome of critical World Cup qualifiers in June.

Speaking on the Soccer Today radio show/podcast (a show that I co-host along with Marc Stein), Altidore said that if he was called in for U.S. duty (which would have been highly likely, of course), that he could report no earlier than around June 3:

Hopefully I will get called in, but I won’t be part in any of the [two friendlies] … I would be released three or four days before the first [qualifier] game against Jamaica, away. That would be the earliest AZ would release me. …

Last year, Altidore said, the club had sponsor-related post-season activities. This year, he’s not sure what the club has planned after its final Dutch Eredivisie match on May 12.

This year I have no idea what’s planned. But as of now, I was told that I am going to be here that I will not be released until the 28th or 29th of May, and will not be able to join [the U.S. camp], if I am invited, until the 3rd, or sometime around that date.

A U.S. Soccer spokesman told me today that the national team has had no communication with AZ on this issue as yet.

AZ is technically within its rights to hold its player until five days before the World Cup qualifier, same as any club. Since the May 29 match in Cleveland (against Belgium) and the June 2 high-profile date in D.C. (against Germany) are not on official FIFA fixture dates, clubs are under no obligation to release players early.

On the other hand, this rarely creates problems.  So, what’s the deal?

Asset protection, for one. Altidore will certainly be a transfer target this summer as AZ, a small club that could certainly use the cash, looks to maximize value on his exceptional 30-goal season. (Well, 30 and counting, that is.)

Mostly, tough, this sounds like AZ being difficult. There is some history of AZ manager Gertjan Verbeek being difficult on this stuff. Michael Bradley had similar issues in his days with Heerenveen, when Verbeek was manager there.

As for Altidore, what matters most is what he does in the three weeks before he eventually gets into the U.S. camp. If AZ is training (unlikely over that entire period), he’ll be OK. But if he’s not working out with a team … then it starts looking like 2012 over all again.

Either way, we’ll be hearing more about this one.

Klopp says Sturridge “good” after match return; Happy at ticket resolution

LONDON, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 09:  Jurgen Klopp, manager of Liverpool signals during the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round Replay match between West Ham United and Liverpool at Boleyn Ground on February 9, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Fans protested their ticket prices, and Liverpool’s owners listened.

Reds manager Jurgen Klopp isn’t surprised by this, and the German backed his bosses and gave an injury update as part of his prematch press conference on Friday.

[ MORE: Arsenal to play MLS All Stars in San Jose ]

Liverpool heads to Aston Villa on Sunday, and Klopp is cautiously optimistic about his stars after Daniel Sturridge, Divock Origi and Philippe Coutinho played big roles in the Reds’ midweek FA Cup loss to West Ham.

Klopp says Origi and Coutinho need their minutes managed, but said Sturridge feels good after normal recovery from his 70-minute return against the Irons. The English striker was Liverpool’s star in the match, and looked a cut above the Reds’ recent strike options.

As for the ticket price issue, Klopp beamed with pride over the Liverpool decision.

From the BBC:

“I think the world of football it is not easy when you are the owner of a club to prove you are interested in the club,” said Klopp.

“I have been here four-and-a-half months and I know the owners as people. They really care about the club and the interests of supporters. Hopefully it is understood for what it is: proof of their real interest in this club and all the things around this club.”

No surprise that Klopp backed the men who pay his deal, but it’d be easy enough for him to ignore the issue (though that’s hardly in his DNA).

As for Sturridge, Liverpool’s in for some goals if Tuesday is any indication.

VIDEO: T&T women’s team gives away one of the most bizarre PKs

Leave a comment

Play until you hear the referee’s whistle. In theory, so simple. In practice, it only takes a single second of concentration lapse to become an internet sensation for all the wrong reasons.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s USWNT coverage ]

Such is life for Karyn Forbes, member of the Trinidad and Tobago women’s national soccer team. In the above video, you’ll observe Forbes, a 24-year-old midfielder, giving away perhaps the most bizarre penalty kick you’ll ever see. You’ll have to watch for yourself to believe it.

[ MORE: USWNT opens Olympic qualifying with 5-0 victory ]

Unfortunately for Forbes, though the whole of the ball might have crossed the whole of the end line, the referee did not blow her whistle… not until Forbes picked the ball up with her hands and carried it to her goalkeeper.

Bundesliga to go ahead with video replay tests over two years

FILE - In this Saturday, Dec. 8, 2012, file photo, a Hawk-Eye camera is set up at Toyota stadium in Toyota. For the first time at a World Cup, technology will be used to determine whether a ball crosses the goal line during matches at the upcoming tournament in Brazil. With vanishing spray also being used to prevent encroachment by defenders making up a wall during free kicks, officials at the highest level of the world’s most popular sport are finally getting some assistance. (AP Photo/Shuji Kajiyama)
AP Photo/Shuji Kajiyama
Leave a comment

BERLIN (AP) The German Football League (DFL) has given the go-ahead for the possible testing of video replays in the Bundesliga over a two-year pilot phase.

[ FOLLOW: PST’s Bundesliga coverage ]

The DFL says it will be lodging an application with FIFA to take part if the pilot phase is approved by the International Football Association Board at its next annual general meeting on March 5.

The DFL says video replays could be used by a “team of impartial match officials for the purpose of avoiding any evidently incorrect decisions” and that the pilot phase would be preceded by “intensive preparations.”

[ MORE: 17-year-old American MF Pulisic gets Bundesliga debut for Dortmund ]

These would include the settlement of costs among FIFA, the IFAB, the DFL and German football federation, as well as training for the candidates.

West Ham extend Payet’s contract in “enormous show of faith”

West Ham’s Dimitri Payet celebrates after scoring while soap bubbles are blown during the English Premier League soccer match between West Ham and Newcastle at Boleyn Ground in London, Monday, Sept. 14, 2015.(AP Photo/Frank Augstein)
AP Photo/Frank Augstein
1 Comment

West Ham United hope Dimitri Payet is going absolutely nowhere after the club announced on Thursday the 28-year-old Frenchman has signed a contract extension through the summer of 2021.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Payet’s current contract was scheduled to keep him at the Premier League club through the summer of 2020, but a series of standout performances (6 goals, 4 assists so far this season, mostly during the season’s opening three months) and rumors of interest from “bigger” clubs meant tacking on another year — and plenty more cash — was the best way to keep Payet in east London for the foreseeable future. The club confirmed earlier this week that negotiations over an extension were underway.

“He’s the best player I’ve signed in 25 years,” said West Ham co-owner David Sullivan. “He’s a [$43 million] player. He’s a supreme footballer. He makes every player in our side play better. On his day, he’s world class, he’s unstoppable.”

Payet, who’s been at West Ham just eight months after signing last summer, could still depart in the summer should he finish the current season strong and/or show up and show out at the European Championship, which kicks off in June. In that event, West Ham would now bag a much heftier transfer fee than they would have done prior to the extension.