Is Jozy Altidore’s Dutch club about to make some trouble for the U.S. national team striker?

5 Comments

If we trace the roots of where things flew temporarily askew for Jozy Altidore last year, it started with his Dutch club’s uncooperative ways.

AZ Alkmaar insisted that Altidore rest upon completion of the Dutch season one year back, not permitting the U.S. striker to join up with Jurgen Klinsmann’s late May camp. No one around the U.S. staff was happy about it, especially not as it became apparent that Altidore’s fitness had suffered during the two-week break.

It became slightly more involved from there, but a message was sent and heard, Altidore worked his way back into good graces … and all was good for player and country once again.

But is it all about to happen again?

Altidore says AZ will not release him until days before the United States meets Jamaica on June 7. That’s about two weeks after Klinsmann gathers his team in California (on May 21 or 22) to prepare for two big friendlies and then a threesome of critical World Cup qualifiers in June.

Speaking on the Soccer Today radio show/podcast (a show that I co-host along with Marc Stein), Altidore said that if he was called in for U.S. duty (which would have been highly likely, of course), that he could report no earlier than around June 3:

Hopefully I will get called in, but I won’t be part in any of the [two friendlies] … I would be released three or four days before the first [qualifier] game against Jamaica, away. That would be the earliest AZ would release me. …

Last year, Altidore said, the club had sponsor-related post-season activities. This year, he’s not sure what the club has planned after its final Dutch Eredivisie match on May 12.

This year I have no idea what’s planned. But as of now, I was told that I am going to be here that I will not be released until the 28th or 29th of May, and will not be able to join [the U.S. camp], if I am invited, until the 3rd, or sometime around that date.

A U.S. Soccer spokesman told me today that the national team has had no communication with AZ on this issue as yet.

AZ is technically within its rights to hold its player until five days before the World Cup qualifier, same as any club. Since the May 29 match in Cleveland (against Belgium) and the June 2 high-profile date in D.C. (against Germany) are not on official FIFA fixture dates, clubs are under no obligation to release players early.

On the other hand, this rarely creates problems.  So, what’s the deal?

Asset protection, for one. Altidore will certainly be a transfer target this summer as AZ, a small club that could certainly use the cash, looks to maximize value on his exceptional 30-goal season. (Well, 30 and counting, that is.)

Mostly, tough, this sounds like AZ being difficult. There is some history of AZ manager Gertjan Verbeek being difficult on this stuff. Michael Bradley had similar issues in his days with Heerenveen, when Verbeek was manager there.

As for Altidore, what matters most is what he does in the three weeks before he eventually gets into the U.S. camp. If AZ is training (unlikely over that entire period), he’ll be OK. But if he’s not working out with a team … then it starts looking like 2012 over all again.

Either way, we’ll be hearing more about this one.

Aguero involved in clash with Wigan fan after FA Cupset

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/winter-2016-hair-color/
Leave a comment

MANCHESTER, England (AP) Sergio Aguero was involved in a confrontation with a Wigan fan as ugly scenes marred the end of the third-division side’s shock FA Cup win over Manchester City on Monday.

[ MORE: Wigan shock Man City, the world and themselves ]

Fans spilled on to the pitch at DW Stadium as the host celebrated its 1-0 fifth-round win against the runaway English Premier League leader.

Supporters from both clubs were involved in disturbances, while television pictures appeared to show a home supporter and striker Aguero involved in a physical exchange.

Aguero appeared to hit the supporter after the fan said something to the player, and Aguero had to be held back by his City teammates.

[ MORE: Money from Wembley replay “will support Rochdale for 2 or 3 years” ]

Advertising hoardings were also ripped out and thrown as a pitch invasion by Wigan fans got out of hand while the defeated City players were being escorted off the pitch.

Footage also appeared to show objects, including an advertising board, being thrown at police officers by fans in the City end.

Wigan shock themselves: “Not sure how it feels, hasn’t sunk in yet”

Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Wigan Athletic didn’t just shock Manchester City with their FA Cup fifth-round slaying of the runaway Premier League leaders; nor did they merely shock the rest of the footballing world; they also shocked themselves into disbelief, according to defender Dan Burn.

[ MORE: Goodbye, quadruple! Wigan bounce 10-man City from FA Cup ]

Speaking following Monday’s triumph over Pep Guardiola‘s quadruple-chasing side at the DW Stadium, Burn admitted he himself didn’t know what to make of the night that would undoubtedly highlight and change his own professional career — quotes from the BBC:

“Not sure how it feels, hasn’t sunk in yet. It was a really tough game. The belief was always there. We’ve got Will Grigg, who does what he keeps doing.

“We pride ourselves on our clean sheets. We had a couple bad results before, so we wanted to prove ourselves, so a clean sheet against the best team in England is great.

“Once we scored, the fans really got behind us, just knew we needed to hang on. It was the longest 10 minutes of my life.”

[ MORE: Money from Wembley replay “will support Rochdale for 2 or 3 years” ]

Manager Paul Cook was able to articulate his happiness and pride only slightly better — “It feels great” — but offered the highest of praises to his players, whom “had to ride [their] luck at times” during the game, and gave everything they had to the cause, because that’s the only way you beat a team like Man City:

“It feels great. It’s such a severe test. They’re such a strong side and move the ball so well. We had to ride our luck at times and the sending off is always a big incident.

“Our lads deserve credit for their work and some of the blocks they made were outstanding, and to beat Man City you have to do that.”

Goodbye, quadruple! Wigan bounce 10-man City from FA Cup

Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Manchester City’s quest for the historic quadruple is over after Pep Guardiola‘s 10-man side was shocked by League One side Wigan Athletic in the fifth round of the FA Cup at the DW Stadium on Monday.

[ MORE: Money from Wembley replay “will support Rochdale for 2 or 3 years” ]

Will Grigg scored the game’s only goal, a late winner after the home side had been thoroughly outplayed and out-possessed for 78 minutes. With 45 places currently standing between them in the English football pyramid — and Man City garnering “best of all time” consideration — “upset” doesn’t even begin to describe Monday’s result.

On the other hand, City represent the third Premier League side knocked out of this season’s FA Cup at the hands of Wigan: Bournemouth, in the third round; followed by West Ham United, in the fourth.

City were reduced to 10 men during first-half stoppage time, when Fabian Delph went flying in on Max Power as the two contested a 50-50 ball inside Wigan’s defensive third. Referee Anthony Taylor initially withdrew his yellow card from his pocket, but protests from the aggrieved party appeared to change Taylor’s mind, and Delph was off.

Prior to Deplh’s dismissal, Wigan had done well  enoughto hold their own against the runaway PL leaders. The Latics had a pair of half-chances, most notably through Grigg in the 12th minute, that could have easily gone their way. Much of the play, though, as is to be expected, was controlled by City (first-half possession: 82 percent), though Guardiola’s men were unable to break through before going a man down.

Still, the share of possession remain unchanged throughout the entirety of the second half, as City patiently probed and used possession as their best means of defense… until the 79th minute arrived.

[ MORE: Man Utd draw Brighton in FA Cup QF; Chelsea get Leicester ]

The ball was played back to Kyle Walker, into space; rather than receiving the ball at first opportunity, Walker let it run on as he prepared to play it back to Claudio Bravo; Grigg saw his opening and pounced quickly; his first touch used his body to shield Walker from the ball, and his second set up the shot; Grigg went for the far post, curling the ball around Bravo and nestling it just inside the post.

Wigan will now host another PL side, Southampton, in the quarterfinals.

Barry Bennell jailed 30 years for abusing young players

Photo by Christopher Furlong/Getty Images
Leave a comment

LIVERPOOL, England (AP) A former English youth soccer coach was jailed Monday for 30 years for abusing 12 young footballers after the judge called him the “devil incarnate.”

Barry Bennell, a former coach at Crewe and scout for Manchester City, was convicted at Liverpool Crown Court of 50 child sexual offenses committed between 1979 and 1991.

“Your behavior towards these boys in grooming and seducing them before subjecting them to, in some cases, the most most serious, degrading and humiliating abuse was sheer evil,” Judge Clement Goldstone told the 64-year-old Bennell.

Bennell looked at the floor and nodded as the judge sentenced him. Some members of the public began to applaud as he was sent down, but were stopped by the judge.

Goldstone said Bennell had appeared to his victims as a God.

“In reality, you were the devil incarnate,” the judge added. “You stole their childhoods and their innocence to satisfy your own perversion.”

Goldstone said Bennell’s abuse had destroyed the enthusiasm his victims had for playing football and had led to them suffering problems including suicidal thoughts, alcoholism and depression.

Bennell has already served three jail terms, totaling 15 years, for similar offenses involving 16 other victims in England and the United States.