FBL-ENG-PR-ASTON VILLA-SUNDERLAND

Benteke heading to Borussia Dortmund?

1 Comment

Aston Villa fans, hold your nerve.

This is going to be the first of many reports of Chrisitan Benteke moving away from Villa Park this summer.

The Belgian international forward has made a sensational start to life in England, scoring 23 goals and almost single-handedly dragging Villa to Premier League safety.

However the 22-year-old striker has been attracting plenty of interest, after a campaign that saw him establish himself as one of the leading marksmen in the EPL.

Benteke’s agent, Eris Kismet, revealed that Dortmund are among plenty of interested suitors.

“I am aware of the Dortmund representation at Villa Park for the Chelsea match [on Saturday], but Christian is still a Villa player and nothing has changed on that point,” Kismet told ESPN. “It is natural for many teams to show an interest when Christian has had such a good season and scored many goals, but it is his first season in the Premier League.”

So if Benteke does leave Villa, how much would it be for? Where would he go? And why would he leave?

Okay, okay, settle down. We will get to all that.

So, the Belgian was relatively unknown before he became Paul Lambert’s big summer signing last year. But everyone knows about him now.

The towering attacker has spent time on loan with Belgian minnows Kortrijk and Mechelen, before establishing himself at parent club Genk in the 2011-12 season, which earned him the big-money move to Villa.

(More: Watch Christian Benteke’s hat trick for Aston Villa here)

And that $13 million price that Villa paid for him seems like an absolute bargain now, as Benteke’s suitors line up around the corner to try and tempt him away from a Villa side firmly in transition.

A move to Dortmund would be a great option, especially if they lose Robert Lewandowski this summer. The Belgian would be guaranteed Champions League soccer next season, instead of another relegation scrap with the Villans. But he is adored by Villa fans, Lambert has shown faith in him and the Birmingham-based club have built their whole attack around the young Belgian. So would he be daft to leave all that behind?

(More: Lambert – Benteke worth more than £25 million)

If he does leave, Villa could see a healthy profit for their star player after only one season on the books. Benteke’s value is currently believed to be around the $30 million mark. So that’s well over a 50 percent profit, which will never be frowned upon by owner Randy Lerner.

But I think it would be premature to leave so early in his EPL career. Benteke’s brute force, pace and tremendous aerial ability really suites the EPL style of play. Bigger teams in England, the likes of Arsenal, Manchester United and Tottenham have voiced an interest in his services.

Like I said at the very start, brace yourselves Villa fans. Stories surrounding Christian Benteke’s impending departure are set to rattle on all summer long.

Is NYCFC showing Mix Diskerud the door? (Photo)

LOS ANGELES, CA - FEBRUARY 01:  Mikkel 'Mix' Diskerud #8 of the USA looks on during the singing of the national anthem prior to their international friendly match against the Korea Republic at StubHub Center on February 1, 2014 in Los Angeles, California. The USA defeated the Korea Republic 2-0.  (Photo by Victor Decolongon/Getty Images)
Victor Decolongon/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Since arriving on the New York City scene two years ago it’s fair to summarize Mix Diskerud’s tenure with New York City FC as a disappointment.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s MLS coverage ]

While the expectations of a quick transition from life in Europe to MLS were surely massive, the 26-year-old midfielder has failed to live up to the billing of not only being one of the NYCFC’s highest-paid players but also as a potential U.S. Men’s National Team candidate.

Diskerud saw his playing time dwindle down from 23 starts in 2015 to nine this past season under new manager Patrick Vieira, and it doesn’t appear that the Norwegian-American will see an influx of opportunities during the upcoming 2017 season.

Rumors have surfaced throughout the offseason about NYCFC potentially buying out Diskerud’s contract, however, the midfielder’s cryptic post to social media on Sunday afternoon suggests that he may not be in New York for much longer.

Somebody told me I'm not part of a plan and if he was I – he'd run like the others ran 'cause the budget is tight and binding contracts might be broken, to improve 5-6 positions – in exchange for only one man. – He went on to say; "the message is clear – unless you're clueless – 'cause you've lived it all'year since the budget is tight and binding contracts might not need to be broken if…. you crack, kneel or leave the hemisphere" – Who could tell so straight and clearly tales of destiny I fight sincerely when mental games are attempting aims to make me rage severely? – On and on the conversation went about money spent and special rules and mgt's tools and something about allocation being different cent – I wish I had right there – my pad 'cause then my favorite line fused by Robin Williams spine would play dead poets – real bad

A post shared by Mix Diskerud (@mixdiskerud) on

It has been suggested that Diskerud would possibly consider a return to Europe in the event that his contract was in fact bought out, however, the difference in salaries would likely be drastic.

According to figures released by the MLS Players’ Union, Diskerud made $761,250 in 2016, which was the fourth-highest salary on NYCFC books behind only David Villa, Frank Lampard and Andrea Pirlo, each of whom were classified as Designated Players.

Report: Aguero seeking Real Madrid move at season’s end

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - JANUARY 21:  Sergio Aguero of manchester City in action during the Premier League match between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur at Etihad Stadium on January 21, 2017 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)
Clive Mason/Getty Images
1 Comment

Gabriel Jesus was a revelation for Manchester City before suffering an injury, but even with a spot in the lineup for the time being Sergio Aguero may not be coming back to Manchester City next season.

[ MORE: Lucky Man United, Mourinho begin trophy haul ]

According to the Sun, Spanish giants Real Madrid are eyeing up a move for Aguero in the hopes that the Argentine striker will join the club at the conclusion of the Premier League season.

Prior to joining City back in 2011, Aguero played five seasons in La Liga with Atletico Madrid, where he scored 101 goals in all competitions for the Rojiblancos.

While Aguero is likely to hold his starting spot for some time due to Jesus’ injured metatarsal, manager Pep Guardiola had heavily favored the young forward over Aguero since officially joining the club in January.

U.S. U-20s paired with Mexico, El Salvador in CONCACAF knockout round

@ussoccer_ynt
Twitter/@ussoccer_ynt
Leave a comment

Tab Ramos’ side completed their first task, but now the U.S. Under-20 national team has its next challenge lying in front of them.

[ MORE: Whitecaps acquire Brek Shea from Orlando City in trade ]

The U.S. U-20s finished second in Group B at the CONCACAF U-20 Championship after winning two of its three group stage matches.

Now, Mexico and El Salvador await the U-20s in the classification stage with a spot at May’s Under-20 World Cup in South Korea on the line.

During the classification round there will be two groups of three teams, with the top two teams advancing to the World Cup. Each group winner will meet in the CONCACAF Championship final.

Classification stage schedule

Group D

Feb. 27 — U.S. U-20s vs. Mexico

Mar. 1 — Mexico vs. El Salvador

Mar. 3 — U.S. U-20s vs. El Salvador

Group E

Feb. 27 — Panama vs. Honduras

Mar. 1 — Honduras vs. Costa Rica

Mar. 3 — Panama vs. Costa Rica

Claude Puel calls for video replay after Gabbiadini goal called off

LONDON, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 26:  Manolo Gabbiadini of Southampton takes on Eric Bailly of Manchester United during the EFL Cup Final match between Manchester United and Southampton at Wembley Stadium on February 26, 2017 in London, England.  (Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images)
Michael Steele/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Manolo Gabbiadini performed brilliantly in Sunday’s EFL Cup final, but was the Southampton striker unfairly gipped of a hat-trick?

[ MORE: Lucky Man United, Mourinho begin trophy haul ]

Saints manager Claude Puel certainly believes so.

[ MORE: Three things from Man United’s win vs. Southampton ]

While the back-and-forth final between Southampton and Manchester United presented a tremendous matchup, the Saints had every right to be furious with the officiating in the early going after Gabbiadini’s 11th minute finish was called off for offsides.

“I would like, of course, video in the future for these situations,” said Puel. “It’s very hard when we see this game to lose. It was cruel.”

Gabbiadini went on to score a pair of goals at the tail end of the first half and early in the second stanza, but Puel was pleased with his side’s resilience after going down 2-0 inside the opening 38 minutes.

“We kept the good attitude and spirit to stay in the game after going 2-0 down,” said the Southampton boss. “We played since the beginning of the season every two or three days. We played to a strong and fantastic level. It’s important now to continue this work, to put away this disappointment and come back in the Premier League with this strength and this quality.”

Video replay has been a common discussion for some time now, but more leagues are beginning to examine the possibility. FIFA is prepared to introduce new experimental trials over the coming months and could present a form of replay at next summer’s World Cup in Russia.