Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna

12 Comments

Well, I am intrigued to hear what you guys think about this one.

Yesterday evening Major League Soccer confirmed that the ball boy at the center of controversy during Saturday’s Portland versus Chivas USA game, acted in the correct manner.

The whole incident occurred late in the second half, when Chivas’ Mario de Luna tried to grab the ball from the ball kid’s grasp and shoved him, after the youngster failed to let go of the soccer ball. Since then, de Luna has come under heavy criticism for his actions, but also the question of whether or not the ball boy acted in the appropriate way has been raised.

Now though, MLS have confirmed the ball kid acted in accordance to their rules found in the league manual.

They shall watch for signals from the referee/match commissioner/field supervisor or ball kid supervisor, to whom they are responsible throughout the game. The ball must be given to the appropriate team, as signaled by the referee (the referee will point his arm in the direction of the goal that the team is attacking to indicate which team has possession).

The key part here is, “the ball must be given to the appropriate team” because the referee and officials had signaled for a throw-in to the Portland Timbers. So the ball kid was just doing his job and holding on to the ball to give it back to a Timbers player.

(More: Oh, good grief! Another MLS ball boy incident?)

So de Luna trying to snatch the ball away from him wasn’t part of the deal and the ball kid, correctly, held onto the ball to try and give it to a Portland player.

Discussion over… Or maybe not.

Should de Luna face extra charges from the MLS Disciplinary Committee this week? He will. That shouldn’t even be a question. So how many games should he be banned for or how much should the fine be?

Discuss.

But let’s be careful to not blow this out of proportion. He acted incorrectly. Chivas USA’s manager apologized straight-away for the incident, the player was yellow carded on the field and maybe a small one or two game ban would be appropriate. Maybe even an order to coach youngsters for a few hours a week in the coming months would be enough.

De Luna knows he was in the wrong. But after Chelsea’s Eden Hazard was banned and lambasted for a similar act earlier this season, the incident has almost been forgotten by many. And cast your mind back to last season when San Jose goalkeeper Jon Busch was banned for one game for “aggressively retrieving a ball.” 

Was de Luna’s act worse than that?

France veteran Malouda loses appeal in Gold Cup case

AP Photo/David J. Phillip
2 Comments

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) Former France winger Florent Malouda has lost his appeal against being ruled ineligible to play for French Guiana at the 2017 Gold Cup.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport says its judges dismissed Malouda’s appeal against North American soccer body CONCACAF.

French Guiana fielded Malouda in a 0-0 draw against Honduras last July despite being told he was not eligible. CONCACAF awarded a 3-0 win to Honduras and suspended Malouda.

The Gold Cup uses FIFA eligibility rules which bar players from transferring allegiance after playing a competitive game for one country.

Malouda played 80 times for France including a 2006 World Cup final loss against Italy.

The French Guiana soccer federation hoped Malouda, now aged 37, could play in the Gold Cup because it is not a FIFA member.

Report: Bobby Wood unlikely to come to MLS this summer

Tim Clayton/Corbis via Getty Images
Leave a comment

A U.S. Men’s National Team forward will probably have to wait a bit longer to come to Major League Soccer if that is the path that he chooses.

Reports have recently surfaced linking Bobby Wood to MLS at the conclusion of the Bundesliga season, however, MLSSoccer.com is reporting that a move for the American likely won’t come in 2018.

Wood, who remains under contract for three more seasons at Hamburg, is currently fighting relegation in Germany with his club side.

Hamburg currently sits 17th in the German top flight, eight points buried in the relegation zone with four matches remaining.

The MLSSoccer.com report suggests that MLS clubs aren’t willing to compensate Wood at the current rate of his contract in Germany.

Currently, Wood is making “several million dollars” per season, and even if Hamburg is relegated in 2017/18 Wood’s contract wouldn’t decrease to a number that clubs are comfortable paying.

If Wood was to join MLS, he would be considered a Discovery signing as he is not currently on the MLS player allocation list. The Washington Post previously reported that an MLS club has Wood included on their Discovery list, although the team’s identity isn’t known.

Report: Fellaini eyes MLS, China after shooting down Man United terms

Clive Rose/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Marouane Fellaini‘s time in Manchester looks to be numbered, and a move abroad could have the Belgian in line for one last payday during his career.

The Manchester United midfielder has rejected multiple offers to stay on at Old Trafford ahead of his contract expiring this summer, which would allow Fellaini to pursue other opportunities come June.

Fellaini is being linked to moves to Major League Soccer and the Chinese Super League, as the veteran aims to secure a sizable contract upon leaving the Red Devils after over five-and-a-half years with the club.

The Daily Mail is also reporting that Fellaini would be open to hearing options that could keep him in the Premier League, although it is unclear if there is any serious interest from English sides at this time.

Since the arrivals of Paul Pogba and Nemanja Matic, Fellaini has struggled to find playing time under manager Jose Mourinho.

This season, the Belgium international has appeared in just 14 PL matches and 19 in all competitions. Fellaini has scored four goals in that span.

Chicago Fire venue to be renamed SeatGeek Stadium

Dylan Buell/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Chicago Fire won’t be moving into a new stadium 2019, however, their venue will have a new name donned on the side of it.

For years, the Eastern Conference side has played its home matches at Toyota Park in Bridgeview, Illinois, but starting next season the Fire’s home turf will be called SeatGeek Stadium as part of a rebrand.

SeatGeek is one of the largest online after-market ticket distributors, and was created back in 2009.

Toyota Park will undergo its transformation at the conclusion of the 2018 MLS season.

The venue is also home to the NWSL’s Chicago Red Stars.