Lampard and Drogba speak during the Chelsea news conference, ahead of the Champions League final soccer match between Bayern Munich and Chelsea in Munich

Report: Frank Lampard signs one-year extension at Chelsea


According to reports out of England, Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard, who had been touted as a potential Designated Player signing by the LA Galaxy, will sign a one-year extension that will prolong his tenure at Stamford Bridge. The 34-year-old England international, who adorned the Blues’ armband as his side took the field in Amsterdam today for the Europa League final, recently became the club’s all-time leading scorer, a stature he’ll now carry into a 13th season at the club.

As much as this will be perceived as a blow to the Galaxy, it was the most-logical outcome for a player who has scored 17 goals in 48 all-competition appearances this season. Chelsea, who apparently wanted to firm-up their managerial picture before committing to the icon, were not going to be his only option. If he wanted to stay in England, there was always the likelihood Lampard would find another top team, with fits and Manchester City and (especially) United always making sense.

Ultimately, the most likely scenario played out. Lampard, giving his team little reason to move on, will stay in West London. His wages will be reduced, as will his playing time, but those never appeared to be major obstacles. As his role in the team has changed, Lampard seems to have become accustomed to his new place at Stamford Bridge. He’s doesn’t have a marquee role or the wages that come with it. He knows his best days are behind him.

That status lent many to believe he was on his way to Major League Soccer, but there perhaps should have been a bit more circumspection, even if some stars were beginning to line up. LA may have wanted Lampard, and the Chelsea star may have considered it a possibility, but he always had options. If the door was open at Old Trafford, he wasn’t going to LA. If Eastlands had a place for him, the Galaxy would have to wait. And if Chelsea changed course, Lampard was staying home. A number of things would have had to fall into place before Lampard landed at Home Depot Center. Not surprisingly, it looks like it hasn’t worked out.

That doesn’t mean it won’t happen in the future. The reason this new deal was possible is because Lampard is still capable of contributing at the highest level. When that fades, he’ll be able to come and contribute in MLS, just as Robbie Keane has been a star after his EPL options faded.

It may not happen soon, but Lampard could still end up in MLS. Next year, however, he’ll be in West London.

Sergio Aguero expects to miss a month with hamstring injury

Sergio Aguero
Leave a comment

After scoring five goals against Newcastle United, Sergio Aguero may have to wait a bit of time to get back to scoring in the Premier League.

The Manchester City striker lasted just 25 minutes in Argentina’s World Cup qualifier on Thursday, as he was stretchered off with a hamstring injury. 

Aguero underwent testing in Argentina, and told the local media “I think I’m going to be out for a month.”

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

Manchester City and Argentina teammate Nicolas Otamendi said Aguero was in tears in the dressing room, and some reports have penned the injury as a torn hamstring.

If Aguero were to be ruled out for a month, he would miss City’s Champions League clash vs. Sevilla, as well as the massive Manchester derby away at United on October 25.

To make matters worse for City supporters, David Silva was forced off after just ten minutes while playing for Spain today. Silva took a harsh challenge from behind, and hobbled off with what looked to be an ankle injury. If Silva’s injury ends up being more than just a knock, City could be without their two most important players in the attack.

Bayern Munich’s Mario Gotze out 10-12 weeks with groin injury

SHANGHAI, CHINA - JULY 21:  Mario Goetze of FC Bayern Muenchen in action during the international friendly match between FC Bayern Muenchen and Inter Milan of the Audi Football Summit 2015 at Shanghai Stadium on July 21, 2015 in Shanghai, China.  (Photo by Lintao Zhang/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mario Gotze could be out of action until 2016 after picking up a groin injury on international duty.

The Bayern Munich midfielder suffered a tendon tear in his abductor muscle while stretching for a ball in Germany’s 1-0 loss to Ireland in EURO qualifiers on Thursday. He was taken off in the 35th minute.

Ruled out for 10-12 weeks, Gotze is likely to miss the rest of the first half of the season for Bayern. Their last league match of 2015 is on December 19, which is 11 weeks away. The Bundesliga then goes on winter break, with Bayern’s next match not until January 23.

[ RELATED: Sam Allardyce appointed Sunderland boss ]

Gotze will miss both of Bayern’s upcoming Champions League matches against Arsenal, which is good news for the Gunners as they are in desperate need of a result.

However, Arjen Robben is back in training and will make his return to action within the coming weeks. After starting the Bundesliga seasons with eight wins out of eight, Robben’s return would add just another weapon to Pep Guardiola’s dominant attack.

Robben has not played since being injured in early September while playing for the Netherlands, and could feature for Bayern against Werder Bremen next week.