MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Sporting Kansas City

Leave a comment

The Major League Soccer season is long and the barren spots are inevitably out there.

But that doesn’t make a dip in the road easy to swallow, not for a proud club like the Houston Dynamo, an organization that has appeared in four of the last seven MLS Cup finals.

Dominic Kinnear’s club has lost two in a row – both at home, no less, a rather shocking development considering that 36-game unbeaten streak at home across all competitions that just went kaput.

So maybe Kinnear’s men don’t mind being on the road, especially not at a place where they’ve had some high-profile success. Houston has eliminated Kansas City at Sporting Park for the last two MLS playoffs.

Kickoff this afternoon on NBC Sports Network is 3:30 p.m. ET.

On the other hand, Peter Vermes’ club is playing wonderfully at the moment, turning up with the consistency that was missing during a surprisingly wobbly launch into 2013, even while dealing with some back line instability.

Graham Zusi, Matt Besler, Jimmy Nielsen and the rest of SKC’s stars were responsible for dumping Houston’s showy unbeaten run at home into the nearby Gulf of Mexico two weeks back. In fact, Sporting went from there to D.C. United and were quite unfortunate not to find six points from the back-to-back set of road matches.

Ike Opara scored a perfectly legitimate goal in the 30th minute at RFK Stadium – but one that match officials completely blew. The game officials and the Professional Referees Organization have all copped to the big error. (Seriously, it wasn’t even close). But that doesn’t really help SKC, which finished level in a 1-1 result at RFK.

“Whether [the assistant referee] lost concentration, whether he just doesn’t know the rules, there were just a lot of different things where the guy made a big mistake,” Vermes said. “It’s unfortunate, because it’s two points over the course of the season.”

Opara may be back in the lineup, although Vermes has his full choice of center backs again. Besler, the U.S. international who missed three matches with a knee sprain, was back last week for the draw United. And Aurelien Collin is back off a one-game suspension for yellow card accumulation.

Injured right back Chance Myers may also be healthy enough for a start after missing three of the last four.

While SKC’s back line gets healthier, the Dynamo will begin dealing with a short stretch of life minus veteran center back Bobby Boswell. He’ll miss two matches for a naughty head butt last week against New England. The timing is particularly poor because central partner Jermaine Taylor could also be slowed (or out) due to a shoulder injury.

The Dynamo do have that deep midfield, with the top league assist man over the last few years, Brad Davis, plus Oscar Boniek Garcia and new Scottish man Andrew Driver all presented as options for Kinnear along the outside. Davis can also play inside if Kinnear chooses to rest Ricardo Clark or Adam Moffat.

Don’t forget, Clark has played as a center back before – so perhaps Kinnear uses that depth creatively and gets all his best men on the field?

Whomever gets the assignment, SKC’s Claudio Bieler awaits. The team’s first-year Argentine DP striker has six goals, tied for second-best this year in MLS. And they’ll be watchful for Zusi, whose four assists shares the league lead.

Jose Mourinho on Man United’s midfield injury crisis

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jose Mourinho has been speaking in Moscow ahead of Manchester United’s UEFA Champions League clash with CSKA Moscow on Wednesday.

[ MORE: UCL team news for PL clubs ]

The Man United boss has had a positive start to the new season with seven wins from nine games in all competitions as his side are second in the Premier League table only on goal difference.

[ MORE: Champions League schedule

That said, injuries are mounting up for the Red Devils, particularly in central midfield as Marouane Fellaini, Paul Pogba and Michael Carrick are all missing for United’s trip to CSKA.

“We don’t have Fellaini. We don’t have Pogba. We don’t have Carrick. All three midfield players that we lose for this match. The solutions are not many,” Mourinho said. “We are trying not to focus on individual battles in specific areas on the pitch. We are going to have a team with quality and balance to try to win the match. That’s our objective.”

What are Mourinho’s solutions to plug these gaps?

Ander Herrera will likely start in central midfield alongside Nemanja Matic which should be enough but given the extent of the injuries to both Pogba and Fellaini they will also have to play against Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Fellaini was injured by Southampton’s Shane Long on Saturday and Mourinho confirmed the Belgian midfielder would not play again before the international break.

“Fellaini was lucky. It could be a much worse situation but in a moment where we don’t have Pogba and Carrick he becomes even more important than he always is. I expect Fellaini not to be out for a long time,” Mourinho added.

As for Mourinho, he was asked about the decision by the English Football Association to take no further action after he was sent to the stands late on in United’s 1-0 victory at Southampton on Saturday.

“If I am not punished it is because there are no reasons for the sending off,” Mourinho said. “I am happy that it is recognized and I can do my work normally against Crystal Palace. That’s enough for me.”

Report: Benjamin Mendy has more tests on knee injury

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Benjamin Mendy‘s knee injury seems a little worse than Manchester City first feared.

Mendy, 23, came off in the first half of City’s 5-0 win against Crystal Palace on Saturday after a tackle with Andros Townsend and initial scans on his swollen knee were inconclusive.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

Now, multiple reports state that Mendy has flown to Barcelona to meet with renowned knee surgeon Ramon Cugat for more tests and scans as City fear ligament damage.

That could mean months out of action for the $75 million left back who joined from AS Monaco this summer.

If Mendy is to spend a long period of time on the sidelines it would be a big blow for Man City as the French international has brought balance and real quality to the left back role.

Marauding forward whenever he gets the chance and whipping in delicious crosses, Mendy has been a revelation on the pitch and off it he has already captured the hearts of City’s fans with his social media antics.

Guardiola does have Danilo who can slot in comfortably to the left back role and also hinted at Fabian Delph playing in that role with City facing Shakhtar Donetsk in the UEFA Champions League this week and then traveling to Chelsea on Saturday (Watch live, 12:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN and online via NBCSports.com).

Juventus president Andrea Agnelli banned for 1 year

Twitter/@NahayatT
Leave a comment

Juventus president Andrea Agnelli was banned for one year by the Italian soccer federation on Monday for his role in selling tickets to hardcore “ultra” fans that encouraged scalping.

[ MORE: Mourinho escapes ban after sending off ]

The court also fined Juventus 300,000 euros ($350,000).

The ban comes less than three weeks after Agnelli was elected to chair the 220-member European Club Association.

“Having taken note of today’s decision by the FIGC’s National Tribunal, Juventus preannounces its appeal to the FIGC Court of Appeal in the full conviction of its own good arguments, which have still not found adequate recognition,” the Serie A club said in a statement.

“The club expresses its own satisfaction because today’s sentence, even though it inflicted heavy bans on the president and other people involved, has “after extensive evaluation of the evidentiary material” (page 11 of the sentence) excluded all alleged links with representatives of organized crime.”

Federation prosecutor Giuseppe Pecoraro also said he would appeal for a harsher sentence. Pecoraro requested a 2 1/2-year suspension, a fine and an order to force Juventus to play two home matches behind closed doors.

“I am partially satisfied because we managed to prove everyone’s guilt but the facts are so serious that I think they should be punished more,” Pecoraro told Italian news agency Ansa. “The judgment of another court would be useful, taking into account that the resources coming from the ticket scalping went to a criminal organization, and that is very serious.”

The ban means Agnelli remains Juventus president but cannot represent the club in any official matter governed by the FIGC. He cannot, for example, go into the dressing room during matches or have transfer dealings with players’ agents.

However, the ban has not been extended to UEFA and FIFA – and there is no chance of that happening until all the appeals have been heard. Agnelli’s position as head of the ECA is not at risk for now.

Agnelli allegedly authorized the sale of season passes and other tickets. He has acknowledged meeting with Rocco Dominello, an “ultra” fan linked to the Calabrian `ndrangheta crime mob who has since been sentenced to nearly eight years in prison for scalping.

But Agnelli said the meetings came only with large numbers of other fans at celebratory occasions and that the club never intended to engage in illegal activity.

Juventus security director Alessandro D’Angelo has been banned for 15 months while ticketing director Stefano Merulla and former marketing director Francesco Calvo have also been handed one-year suspensions.

Each of the four has also been fined 20,000 euros ($24,000) for violating sporting integrity and illicit relations with fans.

The 41-year-old Agnelli has led Juventus, the club his family has owned for nearly a century, since 2010. Agnelli has also been a non-voting member of the UEFA executive committee since 2015. He received full voting rights last week at a UEFA meeting in Geneva.

[ MORE: Villareal sacks manager Escriba after one year in charge ]

Dominello’s father, Saverio Dominello, was sentenced to 12 years in prison by a court in Turin in June for his role in the scalping case.

Anti-mafia prosecutors said the `ndrangheta was involved in scalping among Juventus ultra fans for at least 15 years, guaranteeing order in the stadium in exchange for open ticket access.

Juventus has denied any wrongdoing.

Report: NYCFC seeks stadium project near Belmont Park

Twitter/@NYCFC
1 Comment

New York City FC has found its feet pretty well in MLS, and the club could finally be closing in on a location for its own stadium moving forward.

Newsday Sports is reporting that NYCFC is prepared to bid on land at Belmont Park as the club continues its search to find a permanent stadium for its future.

[ MORE: Which players should be up for MLS MVP honors? ]

The report also states that Belmont isn’t NYCFC’s preferred destination to play matches, with the stadium in Elmont — roughly an 18-mile distance from the club’s current venue, Yankee Stadium.

In the past, Flushing Meadows has been one of many sites discussed as a location for NYCFC to build its own venue, which would make sense given the fact that the land currently houses the New York Mets as well as the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

NYCFC has shared Yankee Stadium with MLB franchise, New York Yankees, since the MLS side entered the league in 2015.

A move to Belmont could hinge on what the New York Islanders of the NHL do moving forward as well because the hockey team is reportedly looking at options outside of the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, where they currently play.