Atletico Madrid's Colombian forward Rada

Radamel Falcao inching toward AS Monaco move, to undergo physical on Monday

2 Comments

With the same uncomfortable potential of a middle-aged divorcée driving a new Porsche to the family reunion, Dmitry Robolovlev and AS Monaco appear ready to translate more than $77.5 million in aspiration and overcompensation into one of the world’s best attackers, with Atlético Madrid’s Radamel Falcao on the verge of completing a transfer that’s been rumored throughout most of the month. A predatory, traditional number nine during a time when the concept of the position has begun to morph, the 27-year-old Colombian would immediately rival Paris Saint-Germain’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic as the most potent threat in Ligue 1.

England’s Press Association, citing sources out of Spain, claim Falcao is headed to the Mediterranean principality for a Monday physical, undoubtedly motivated by the type of millions that can compensate for joining a team that’s just been promoted from a country’s second division. Then again, Falcao is a former River Plate man, so perhaps the Millionarios attacker has a soft spot for second-division competition trying to recapture past glory. With seven Ligue 1 titles and a Champions League final appearance in their history books, Monaco certainly fit that mold.

As we discussed last Saturday, the implications of Falcao’s capture extend beyond signing one of the world’s best strikers. As assistant coach Jean Petit notes, luring a player of Falcao’s reputation serves as a drawing card for other players – an excuse to go. While Monaco have already secured the transfers of Porto’s Joao Moutinho and James Rodriguez, Falcao’s is the kind of move that would prompt other players at prominent clubs to ask: ‘If Monaco’s good enough for Falcao, then isn’t it good enough for me?”

Petit, speaking Friday on French radio:

“Yes, we are expecting Falcao and four or five other players of his quality. We have spoken and we continue to speak with Falcao and his representatives. Negotiations are ongoing. We hope to seal a deal as soon as possible.

“Monaco need a player like Falcao because he can help us a lot and because he can attract other top players, and that’s the best way of confirming our project is big and interesting.

“Signing Falcao is a big coup on sporting and media levels for French football.”

The $77.5 million, or €60 million, is the buyout in Falcao’s contract, a huge boon for Atlético, financially. Yet it’s only part of the package required to lure the Colombian from Madrid. With Manchester United and Chelsea previously connected with a potential move, Falcao’s undoubtedly expecting wages commensurate with the European clubs he’s passing on to join Ligue 1Given Ibrahimovic makes around $18 million, Monaco’s total outlay for Falcao may stretch into the $120-$140 million range, once wages are considered.

Klopp says Sturridge “good” after match return; Happy at ticket resolution

LONDON, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 09:  Jurgen Klopp, manager of Liverpool signals during the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round Replay match between West Ham United and Liverpool at Boleyn Ground on February 9, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Fans protested their ticket prices, and Liverpool’s owners listened.

Reds manager Jurgen Klopp isn’t surprised by this, and the German backed his bosses and gave an injury update as part of his prematch press conference on Friday.

[ MORE: Arsenal to play MLS All Stars in San Jose ]

Liverpool heads to Aston Villa on Sunday, and Klopp is cautiously optimistic about his stars after Daniel Sturridge, Divock Origi and Philippe Coutinho played big roles in the Reds’ midweek FA Cup loss to West Ham.

Klopp says Origi and Coutinho need their minutes managed, but said Sturridge feels good after normal recovery from his 70-minute return against the Irons. The English striker was Liverpool’s star in the match, and looked a cut above the Reds’ recent strike options.

As for the ticket price issue, Klopp beamed with pride over the Liverpool decision.

From the BBC:

“I think the world of football it is not easy when you are the owner of a club to prove you are interested in the club,” said Klopp.

“I have been here four-and-a-half months and I know the owners as people. They really care about the club and the interests of supporters. Hopefully it is understood for what it is: proof of their real interest in this club and all the things around this club.”

No surprise that Klopp backed the men who pay his deal, but it’d be easy enough for him to ignore the issue (though that’s hardly in his DNA).

As for Sturridge, Liverpool’s in for some goals if Tuesday is any indication.

VIDEO: T&T women’s team gives away one of the most bizarre PKs

Leave a comment

Play until you hear the referee’s whistle. In theory, so simple. In practice, it only takes a single second of concentration lapse to become an internet sensation for all the wrong reasons.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s USWNT coverage ]

Such is life for Karyn Forbes, member of the Trinidad and Tobago women’s national soccer team. In the above video, you’ll observe Forbes, a 24-year-old midfielder, giving away perhaps the most bizarre penalty kick you’ll ever see. You’ll have to watch for yourself to believe it.

[ MORE: USWNT opens Olympic qualifying with 5-0 victory ]

Unfortunately for Forbes, though the whole of the ball might have crossed the whole of the end line, the referee did not blow her whistle… not until Forbes picked the ball up with her hands and carried it to her goalkeeper.

Bundesliga to go ahead with video replay tests over two years

FILE - In this Saturday, Dec. 8, 2012, file photo, a Hawk-Eye camera is set up at Toyota stadium in Toyota. For the first time at a World Cup, technology will be used to determine whether a ball crosses the goal line during matches at the upcoming tournament in Brazil. With vanishing spray also being used to prevent encroachment by defenders making up a wall during free kicks, officials at the highest level of the world’s most popular sport are finally getting some assistance. (AP Photo/Shuji Kajiyama)
AP Photo/Shuji Kajiyama
Leave a comment

BERLIN (AP) The German Football League (DFL) has given the go-ahead for the possible testing of video replays in the Bundesliga over a two-year pilot phase.

[ FOLLOW: PST’s Bundesliga coverage ]

The DFL says it will be lodging an application with FIFA to take part if the pilot phase is approved by the International Football Association Board at its next annual general meeting on March 5.

The DFL says video replays could be used by a “team of impartial match officials for the purpose of avoiding any evidently incorrect decisions” and that the pilot phase would be preceded by “intensive preparations.”

[ MORE: 17-year-old American MF Pulisic gets Bundesliga debut for Dortmund ]

These would include the settlement of costs among FIFA, the IFAB, the DFL and German football federation, as well as training for the candidates.

West Ham extend Payet’s contract in “enormous show of faith”

West Ham’s Dimitri Payet celebrates after scoring while soap bubbles are blown during the English Premier League soccer match between West Ham and Newcastle at Boleyn Ground in London, Monday, Sept. 14, 2015.(AP Photo/Frank Augstein)
AP Photo/Frank Augstein
1 Comment

West Ham United hope Dimitri Payet is going absolutely nowhere after the club announced on Thursday the 28-year-old Frenchman has signed a contract extension through the summer of 2021.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Payet’s current contract was scheduled to keep him at the Premier League club through the summer of 2020, but a series of standout performances (6 goals, 4 assists so far this season, mostly during the season’s opening three months) and rumors of interest from “bigger” clubs meant tacking on another year — and plenty more cash — was the best way to keep Payet in east London for the foreseeable future. The club confirmed earlier this week that negotiations over an extension were underway.

“He’s the best player I’ve signed in 25 years,” said West Ham co-owner David Sullivan. “He’s a [$43 million] player. He’s a supreme footballer. He makes every player in our side play better. On his day, he’s world class, he’s unstoppable.”

Payet, who’s been at West Ham just eight months after signing last summer, could still depart in the summer should he finish the current season strong and/or show up and show out at the European Championship, which kicks off in June. In that event, West Ham would now bag a much heftier transfer fee than they would have done prior to the extension.