With the French Ligue 1 season set to kick off August 10, defending champions Paris Saint-Germain still find themselves without a manager…kind of.
Carlo Ancelotti remains under contract for another season at the Parisian giants, but he has long been public about his wishes to be released from that contract so he can be hired into the vacant position with Real Madrid.
Reports yesterday out of France were heavily linking current Russian national team manager Fabio Capello to the position, with Capello set to take the job on a 1-year contract so that PSG can continue its wooing of Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger. The Frenchman is out of contract with the Gunners after the upcoming season.
However, reports this morning by Italian paper Gazetta are now saying Capello has turned down the offer due to the length of the contract. The Italian’s son and lawyer Pierfilippo Capello met with the PSG front office (President Nasser Al Khelaifi and director of football operations Leonardo) today in Paris but the talks broke down when PSG would not increase the deal.
It’s not a surprise that the former England manager would wish for more job security, and if PSG wish to lock down someone more willing to complete the job than Ancelotti, they may have to give up their hopes for Wenger and look for a more long-term solution.
In addition, Sky Italy’s Tancredi Palmeri is saying the Russian FA also decided not to make things easy. They insisted their rule be met, which requires Capello gives them 2 months advance notice if leaving his position. That would push the Italian’s appointment back until mid-August, after the beginning of the new season, a delay PSG cannot afford.
Before Capello, PSG had been attempting to persuade Andre Villas-Boas to leave Tottenham, but he too turned down the offer. The club was reportedly willing to pay AVB’s £10 million ($15.7 million) buyout clause in his contract with Spurs. The Portugese 35-year-old and PSG’s director of football operations Leonardo share the same agent, so the easy connection was made. They were also hoping the move would attract coveted Spurs star Gareth Bale to come with his current manager.
Relax Manchester City fans, Sergio Aguero is okay. At least, that’s how it seems right now.
Aguero, 27, started up top in City’s 3-1 win over Southampton on Saturday as the Citizens momentarily went top of the Premier League ahead of the late game between Leicester City and Manchester United.
[ VIDEO: Vardy sets PL record ]
Even though Aguero didn’t get on the scoresheet, his movement caused Saints plenty of problems and despite Shane Long halving the deficit following Kevin De Bruyne and Fabian Delph‘s first half goals, City rallied and won 3-1 thanks to a late Aleksandar Kolarov strike.
All that aside, Aguero limped off injured in the second half and with a League Cup quarterfinal and big games in the PL and UEFA Champions League coming up, fears over the Argentine’s fitness once again surfaced.
Speaking to the media after the game Pellegrini revealed that Aguero should be fine.
“Kun [Aguero] came off as a precaution. I spoke with him before the game and we said he would play 65 minutes,” Pellegrini said. “He has a kick in his heel, but nothing important. I was very pleased with the team’s reaction. It was important to get three points against a team who were unbeaten away. We were a little nervous until the third goal, but I’m happy with the performance and the result.”
Aguero missed six weeks of action from October to November after a hamstring injury when playing for Argentina and whenever he’s been out of the team, especially over the past 12 months, City have missed him desperately. In that regard it is understandable that Pellegrini took no chances when Aguero went done with a slight injury against Southampton.
[ MORE: Twitter reacts to Vardy ]
Pellegrini also lamented referee Roger East for a few peculiar decisions, as both his side and Saints could’ve had penalty kicks in either half for handball incidents in the box. With City facing Hull City in the League Cup quarterfinals on Tuesday, Pellegrini’s players must now recover as he hinted at the importance of making the final four of the competition he won during his first season in charge.
The Internet exploded at around 12:50 p.m. ET on Saturday after Jamie Vardy — yes, Jamie Vardy — broke Ruud van Nistelrooy’s Premier League record for most consecutive games with a goal.
[ WATCH: The goal | The game — Leicester City vs. Manchester United ]
Yes, an Englishman is back atop the charts. An Englishman who was playing for Stocksbridge Park Steels, Halifax Town and Fleetwood Town before heading to Leicester.
He’s perhaps the reminder, as Rio Ferdinand Tweeted below, that the most unlikely of scenarios is still not impossible.
He did it. He actually did it.
Jamie Vardy made Premier League history on Saturday, scoring for the 11th consecutive game to become the first player in history to achieve that magnificent feat.
[ MORE: Twitter reacts to Vardy ]
Tied with Manchester United legend Ruud van Nistelrooy heading into Leicester’s clash against United on Saturday, it took Vardy just 24 minutes to set the new record as Christian Fuchs played a delicate ball in-behind United’s defense and Vardy did the rest.
[ MORE: Can Vardy, Leicester achieve unthinkable? ]
Watch the video below to see the King Power Stadium erupt as a truly memorable moment arrived.
Now, the next record for Vardy to break is from the 1931-32 English top-flight season, before the PL was formed. Sheffield United’s Jimmy Dunne scored in 12-straight games way back then.
Anyway, congratulations Mr. Vardy for making PL history.
This was an all-timer.
Bournemouth came back from a 2-0 halftime deficit only to watch Ross Barkley hand Everton a one-goal lead with a score in the final minute of stoppage time.
[ MATCH RECAP: Bournemouth 3-3 Everton ]
But after fans were cleared from the field, Junior Stanislas provided the dramatic answer for Bournemouth to force a 3-3 draw at Dean Court.