With the French Ligue 1 season set to kick off August 10, defending champions Paris Saint-Germain still find themselves without a manager…kind of.
Carlo Ancelotti remains under contract for another season at the Parisian giants, but he has long been public about his wishes to be released from that contract so he can be hired into the vacant position with Real Madrid.
Reports yesterday out of France were heavily linking current Russian national team manager Fabio Capello to the position, with Capello set to take the job on a 1-year contract so that PSG can continue its wooing of Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger. The Frenchman is out of contract with the Gunners after the upcoming season.
However, reports this morning by Italian paper Gazetta are now saying Capello has turned down the offer due to the length of the contract. The Italian’s son and lawyer Pierfilippo Capello met with the PSG front office (President Nasser Al Khelaifi and director of football operations Leonardo) today in Paris but the talks broke down when PSG would not increase the deal.
It’s not a surprise that the former England manager would wish for more job security, and if PSG wish to lock down someone more willing to complete the job than Ancelotti, they may have to give up their hopes for Wenger and look for a more long-term solution.
In addition, Sky Italy’s Tancredi Palmeri is saying the Russian FA also decided not to make things easy. They insisted their rule be met, which requires Capello gives them 2 months advance notice if leaving his position. That would push the Italian’s appointment back until mid-August, after the beginning of the new season, a delay PSG cannot afford.
Before Capello, PSG had been attempting to persuade Andre Villas-Boas to leave Tottenham, but he too turned down the offer. The club was reportedly willing to pay AVB’s £10 million ($15.7 million) buyout clause in his contract with Spurs. The Portugese 35-year-old and PSG’s director of football operations Leonardo share the same agent, so the easy connection was made. They were also hoping the move would attract coveted Spurs star Gareth Bale to come with his current manager.
After scoring five goals against Newcastle United, Sergio Aguero may have to wait a bit of time to get back to scoring in the Premier League.
The Manchester City striker lasted just 25 minutes in Argentina’s World Cup qualifier on Thursday, as he was stretchered off with a hamstring injury.
Aguero underwent testing in Argentina, and told the local media “I think I’m going to be out for a month.”
[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]
Manchester City and Argentina teammate Nicolas Otamendi said Aguero was in tears in the dressing room, and some reports have penned the injury as a torn hamstring.
If Aguero were to be ruled out for a month, he would miss City’s Champions League clash vs. Sevilla, as well as the massive Manchester derby away at United on October 25.
To make matters worse for City supporters, David Silva was forced off after just ten minutes while playing for Spain today. Silva took a harsh challenge from behind, and hobbled off with what looked to be an ankle injury. If Silva’s injury ends up being more than just a knock, City could be without their two most important players in the attack.
Mario Gotze could be out of action until 2016 after picking up a groin injury on international duty.
The Bayern Munich midfielder suffered a tendon tear in his abductor muscle while stretching for a ball in Germany’s 1-0 loss to Ireland in EURO qualifiers on Thursday. He was taken off in the 35th minute.
Ruled out for 10-12 weeks, Gotze is likely to miss the rest of the first half of the season for Bayern. Their last league match of 2015 is on December 19, which is 11 weeks away. The Bundesliga then goes on winter break, with Bayern’s next match not until January 23.
[ RELATED: Sam Allardyce appointed Sunderland boss ]
Gotze will miss both of Bayern’s upcoming Champions League matches against Arsenal, which is good news for the Gunners as they are in desperate need of a result.
However, Arjen Robben is back in training and will make his return to action within the coming weeks. After starting the Bundesliga seasons with eight wins out of eight, Robben’s return would add just another weapon to Pep Guardiola’s dominant attack.
Robben has not played since being injured in early September while playing for the Netherlands, and could feature for Bayern against Werder Bremen next week.