AC Milan: no intention of selling El Shaarawy or buying Tevez

Leave a comment

AC Milan CEO Adriano Galliani has confirmed the club’s stance on a number of transfer rumors: they’re not happening.

In an interview with Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport, Galliani addressed a number of different players who have been rumored to be coming in or headed out of the San Siro this summer.

He squashed rumors that Stephan El Shaarawy and Kevin Prince-Boateng would be leaving the club, saying there had been offers for El Shaarawy but none that made them blink, and no one has approached them for Prince.

“It never crossed our minds to let him [El Shaarawy] go; no particularly interesting bids were made for him” said Galliani. “No one made any offers for Boateng. Neither the player nor any other clubs showed interest in him leaving.”

The fact Galliani qualifies the bids received for the 20-year-old youngster El Shaarawy as not “particularly interesting” suggests if someone meets whatever their evaluation of him is, the club would most likely pull the trigger.

Galliani also said he’d love to have Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez, but they club doesn’t have the money to make a serious offer, and would have to sell an important piece to make that happen.

“Tevez? He’s a Man City player and we won’t be making a move unless someone leaves here first” claimed Galliani. “If anyone is interested in Tevez, by all means. We can’t afford to move for him unless we transfer some players.”

The 68-year-old Italian ended with this definitive statement, “Numerically and technically we feel we are already competitive, so if we don’t sell anyone, no one new will be coming in.”

AC Milan finished third in the Serie A table last season by a large margin, 6 points back of second and 15 behind champions Juventus.  They barely held off Fiorentina for the league’s final Champions League spot.

It appears, at least for now, the squad will say pretty similar to last season’s.

Premier League vet Kenwyne Jones retires at age 33

Matthew Ashton - AMA/Getty Images
Leave a comment

It wasn’t the season that Kenwyne Jones had expected in his first Major League Soccer season, but the veteran Trinidad & Tobago striker had himself quite the career.

[ MORE: Miguel Almiron wins MLS Newcomer of the Year ]

Jones, 33, announced his retirement on Monday after boasting an extensive career in England prior to finishing up his playing with Atlanta United.

Atlanta opted not to renew Jones’ contract with the club after scoring twice in 17 appearances this season for the expansion side.

The Trinidadian posted the following message to supporters on Twitter this afternoon.

Jones spent nine seasons in the Premier League, including stints with Southampton, Stoke City and Sunderland.

Additionally, the forward played for Al Jazira from UAE in 2016 before moving on loan to Central in his native Trinidad prior to his arrival in Atlanta’s debut MLS season.

Eibar routs Betis 5-0 to snap 8-game winless streak in Spain

Twitter/@LaLigaSantndr
Leave a comment

MADRID (AP) Eibar routed 10-man Real Betis 5-0 in the Spanish league on Monday, ending an eight-match winless streak in all competitions.

Eibar hadn’t won since Sept. 15. It had lost six of its eight matches since then.

[ MORE: Brighton, Stoke finish level after Izquierdo’s second-half finish ]

The hosts got on the board with an own goal by Betis defender Jordi Amat just six minutes in, and midfielder Gonzalo Escalante scored with a header near halftime.

Striker Charles Dias scored twice in the second half, and Sergi Enrich closed the scoring in front of less than 5,000 fans at Ipurua Stadium.

“We deserved a victory like this to help us regain our confidence,” Enrich said.

Betis played with 10 men from the 55th as Aissa Mandi was red-carded for the foul that prompted a penalty kick converted by Dias.

“It was difficult to recover after we went a man down and they scored the third goal,” Betis midfielder Joaquin Sanchez said.

Eibar remained 17th in the 20-team standings, just outside the relegation zone.

Betis, winless in three matches, dropped to ninth place.

Barcelona leads by four points over second-place Valencia.

More AP Spanish soccer coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/LaLiga

Pogba believes Man United can win Premier League if squad stays fit

Dan Mullan/Getty Images
Leave a comment

There’s no doubt that on paper Manchester United has all the workings of a Premier League contender, and Paul Pogba certainly agrees.

[ MORE: Brighton, Stoke settle for draw in back-and-forth affair ]

The influential midfielder made his return to the Red Devils lineup this weekend in United’s 4-1 beatdown of Newcastle, along with Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Marcos Rojo.

With Jose Mourinho’s squad finally getting healthy, Pogba believes that the sky is the limit for his side as they look to chase down league leaders and cross-town rivals Manchester City.

“To win the league we need all our players,” Pogba told MUTV. “When you have one injured here, one injured there, it doesn’t help. It’s always better to have a full team.

“Zlatan’s back and Marcos after a long injury. It was hard for them but they kept believing and worked hard to come back. We need them to win the league and we’re really glad they’re here.”

Pogba’s presence was certainly missed in his absence, and he wasted no time in making an impact upon his return, scoring a goal and adding an assist against the Magpies.

The French international also spoke about his struggles last season with several minor injuries, but he’s hoping to remain in his United side for the rest of the 2017/18 campaign.

“Most of last season I had injuries but small ones. You just have to recover well because the Premier League is different to Italy — it’s more intense and you just have to think about recovery, then you have more games. Otherwise, I just feel good, just to come back.

“I’ve trained very hard to come back fit. The season is really long so we have to be fit — not only me but all the players. To come back, to play again, to see Old Trafford, to see the fans again, to score at Old Trafford on my comeback, I feel blessed. But we had to win — that was the most important thing.”

Red Bulls freestyler shows off dribbling skills… on a treadmill (Video)

Twitter/@djdiveny
Leave a comment

Players from around the world display their skills on social media on a regular basis, but they’re usually on a soccer field or blacktop when they do so.

[ MORE: Almiron wins MLS Newcomer of the Year, beats out Nikolic, Martinez ]

This New York Red Bulls freestyler had a different interpretation of how he’d show off his ball control on Monday.

DJ Diveny (@djdiveny on Twitter) posted this video — below — across his social media platforms today dribbling a soccer ball on a treadmill, while his colleagues appear to introduce cones at random points as obstacles.

In addition to his talents as a freestyler, Diveny is also a youth coach with Student Athlete Coaching & Consulting, based out of New Jersey.

Again… he’s on a treadmill while doing this. Pretty cool stuff.

Watch below.