Manchester City's Belgian footballer Vin

Builders ordered to stop wearing Manchester United shirts at City’s new Etihad campus


If you ever wondered about, or doubted, just how intense the rivalry between Manchester United and Manchester City is, this should be a good indication.

Today it has been revealed that some builders working on Manchester City’s $200 million Etihad campus — being built for the first team and academy sides — have been told they can’t wear Manchester United jerseys to work.

The ruling has come after staff working at the 80-acre site were told soccer shirts were now banned and anyone seen wearing a jersey could be fired. Two workers were ordered to take off their United shirts as construction on City’s new training ground continued at the Ashton New Road site.

And now that incident has sparked the ruling which will see no soccer jerseys on display. Due to recent warm weather in Manchester, builders have been wearing retro Manchester United shirts amongst others. But it is alleged that a car driving around the site to show possible dignitaries the new development spotted two men wearing United shirts, and they were asked to remove or cover up the shirts or be escorted off the property.

The impressive new development should be ready for the start of the 2014-15 season and will include 16 full-size pitches, a FIFA regulation indoor pitch and a training, medical and operational facility and a community college. It will be connected to City’s Etihad Stadium via a bridge.

But with City and United’s rivalry intensifying over recent years, stunts like this will continue to surface.

Previously City have been overshadowed by their illustrious neighbors. But with the huge investment on and off the field since Sheikh Mansour and his partners took over, City are aiming to surpass Manchester United.

These feelings will be at the root of any Manchester United shirts spotted at the Etihad complex. And although it is such a small outburst of support for United within Manchester City’s boundaries, the hierarchy within the club will be keen to stamp it out.

Reportedly “MUFC” graffiti has cropped up across the site as tensions between workers from the city of Manchester continue to rise.

City and United have always been huge rivals. Their geographical location has made sure of that. But now that season after season they’re set to battle it out at the summit of the EPL, expect more intense and frequent outbreaks from both the red and blue halves of Manchester.

Do you think the rivalry will continue to bubble up?

Former World Cup winner, Brazil legend Carlos Alberto dies

COSTA DO SAUIPE, BAHIA - DECEMBER 05:  Former Brazil footballer Carlos Alberto Torres attends the FIFA World Cup Ambassadors Press Conference during a media day ahead of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw at Costa do Sauipe Resort on December 5, 2013 in Costa do Sauipe, Brazil.  (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Brazilian soccer legend Carlos Alberto has died at the age of 72.

He died in Rio de Janeiro following a heart attack.

Alberto, a marauding right back in his playing days, was best known for his role as Brazil’s captain as he led his team to glory in the 1970 World Cup in Mexico.

He is also remembered fondly for one of the greatest team goals ever scored.

Take a look at the video below to see Albero arriving like a steam train at the back post in the 1970 World Cup final against Italy to hammer home a shot following a marvelous team move from a famous Brazilian side which included the likes of Pele, Tostao, Gerson, Roberto Rivelino and Jairzinho.

Alberto played for Fluminense and Santos in his homeland and the New York Cosmos in the North American Soccer League before going on to many coaching roles in the game both in Brazil and across the planet.

Without doubt he is regarded as one of the finest defenders to ever play the game as his attacking instincts from full back were seen as revolutionary.

Five Manchester United players to leave in January?

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - AUGUST 18:  Marouane Fellaini of Manchester United celebrates scoring his team's third goal with Morgan Schneiderlin and Memphis Depay during the UEFA Champions League Qualifying Round Play Off First Leg match between Manchester United and Club Brugge at Old Trafford on August 18, 2015 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jose Mourinho is a ruthless individual. That’s one of the reasons why he’s won so much over the years.

[ MORE: Rooney to leave? ]

And after a slow start to life at Old Trafford as Manchester United’s manager, it has been reported that he’s had enough of several first team stars.

Various reports, rounded up by the Manchester Evening News, say that five first team players will leave Old Trafford in January as Mourinho wields the axe following a start to the Premier League season which has seen them pick up 14 points from their opening nine games.

Per earlier reports, Rooney will be allowed to leave if he doesn’t want a bit-part role in Mourinho’s plans, plus Memphis Depay, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Morgan Schneiderlin and Matteo Darmian will all be cut loose.

In the case of Schweinsteiger, we all know what Mourinho thinks of the legendary German midfielder who has been forced to train with the reserve team as the new United boss deemed him surplus to requirements. As for the others, well, it is the same story.

Memphis has made six appearances for United this season, while Schneiderlin has yet to appear in the Premier League, Schweinsteiger hasn’t appeared at all and Darmian has played in only two Europa League games.

With Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin, it is clear Mourinho sees his central midfield better off with the power of Paul Pogba and Marouane Fellaini plus the poise of Ander Herrra and Michael Carrick. Schweinsteiger is widely expected to move to Major League Soccer in January but his huge wages of over $200,000 per week may be a stumbling block.

At full back, Darmian is up against Antonio Valencia and Timothy Fosu-Mensah, while Phil Jones can also play at right back, and out wide Memphis has fallen behind Marcus Rashford, Jesse Lingard and Anthony Martial in the pecking order.

Mourinho is used to operating with a relatively small squad and after the win against Southampton on Aug. 19 this season he spoke about how he was happy for the win but sad at the amount of top players in suits sat in the stand watching.

This is a massive squad but it is one Mourinho obviously feels like he can cut down. If these five players aren’t regulars in United’s current team which is struggling to perform, then they have no chance of edging their way in long-term.

Expect plenty of clubs to come in with loan moves for Memphis, Darmian and Schneiderlin in January if Mourinho can’t offload them for good.

Chelsea, West Ham issue statement to fans ahead of derby

LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 15:  Antonio Conte, Manager of Chelsea celebrates victory with John Terry of Chelsea after the Premier League match between Chelsea and West Ham United at Stamford Bridge on August 15, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Anyone who has ever been to a game between West Ham United and Chelsea may use any of the following words to describe the atmosphere.

Tasty. Lively. Spicy. Electric.

Wednesday night will be no different.

[ MORE: Rooney to leave? ]  

The first-ever London derby at West Ham’s London Stadium will take place in the EFL Cup last 16 clash between the bitter rivals.

With several security issues at West Ham’s stadium in its opening months of operation (fighting among home fans, plus scuffles with some away fans outside and inside the ground, and plenty of unrest with the stewarding and seating situation) extra steps are being taken to ensure there is no trouble between the rival sets of fans.

Alcohol will not be served around the ground before kick off, while there will be segregation after the game to split up the fans and extra security checks will take place on entry to the stadium.

West Ham released a statement detailing that London’s Metropolitan Police will be on site to help out the security services who have previously been handling all of the game-day stewarding at the new venue.

The Metropolitan Police Service has a tactical solution for matches being held at the London Stadium which will allow the safe deployment of officers into the stadium, if required, to deal with any crime or disorder. The Metropolitan Police Service have confirmed for this fixture, and for every match going forward, that a tactical solution will be in place at London Stadium. This will allow the safe deployment of officers into the stadium, if required, to deal with any crime or disorder, before a permanent Airwave radio solution is installed by February 2017.
Chelsea also had the following to say in a very similar statement:

In light of recent incidents at the stadium there will be much attention on the fixture and especially on the conduct of supporters from both clubs. We understand this is the first time a game of this magnitude has taken place there and we are looking at West Ham United and the local authorities to deliver a safe event.

As previously announced, we requested the maximum allocation of seating for visiting fans, which under this competition’s regulations is 10 per cent of the stadium’s capacity (approximately 5,700 tickets in this case) but regrettably we were only allowed 5182 due to the EFL granting special dispensation to West Ham for this competition.

We wanted a larger allocation so as many Chelsea fans as possible could enjoy what promises to be a passionate occasion. We appreciate there is a long-established rivalry between these two London clubs but we ask all supporters to remain respectful and refrain from any form of offensive or discriminatory behavior. Please do not travel to the game if you do not have a match ticket.

If any incidents do occur, avoid becoming involved. A vast CCTV operation will be utilized both inside the stadium and over a wide area in the vicinity. Even if arrests are not made on the night, the police will work with the clubs to identify and arrest individuals. Chelsea will ban any of our supporters shown to be involved. The policing operation will include transport hubs on the routes to and from the stadium.

Kevin de Bruyne out injured for Man City; Pep to rotate

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 10:  Kevin De Bruyne of  Manchester City shows his frustrations after a near miss  during the Premier League match between Manchester United and Manchester City at Old Trafford on September 10, 2016 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kevin De Bruyne won’t be the main man at Old Trafford this time.

[ MORE: Rooney to leave? ]

De Bruyne, 25, starred in Manchester City’s 2-1 win at bitter rivals Manchester United last month in the Premier League but ahead of the EFL Cup last 16 clash between Manchester’s two clubs, Pep Guardiola confirmed that the Belgian international will play no part after picking up a calf injury in the draw with Southampton on Sunday.

Speaking to the media, Guardiola also confirmed that Pablo Zabaleta will be out, plus Vincent Kompany will likely play a part.

“Kevin, no way, he cannot play,” Guardiola said. “Pablo I think cannot. Vincent I think he can but I don’t know today. I need to see training and regeneration [before making a decision].”

Guardiola also confirmed that he expects to give some of his squad players a chance to play despite the desire to win the big derby game.

“We are going to rotate. Some are going to play. I need to see the players today in training and after we will decide the team,” Guardiola added.

City’s squad is still ridiculously strong with the likes of Nolito, Fabian Delph, Kelechi Iheanacho and Aleix Garcia all set to play a big part in the cup tie.