San Jose Earthquakes v Portland Timbers

MLS Preview: San Jose Earthquakes at D.C. United

Leave a comment
  • D.C. United is winless in 13 consecutive matches, an all-time club low
  • San Jose’s Chris Wondolowski has five goals halfway through the season after hitting 27 last year
  • The Earthquakes are being directed by interim manager Mark Watson

These teams are connected in a strange and fairly unfortunate way.

They are mirror imaged as underachievers of their respective conferences, much closer to the bottom of their groups than almost anyone imagined.  And the coaching situations at both addresses are marked by high instability, one having already claimed a prominent victim and another sure to happen unless things improve.

When San Jose kicks off at RFK Stadium (7 p.m. ET Saturday; official league preview is here), Earthquakes interim manager Mark Watson will oversee his second match since taking over for the suddenly deposed Frank Yallop. Presumably, things won’t be quite as eventful along the touchlines as they were in Watson’s interim debut, a surprisingly combustible meeting with Colorado.

Two members of the Rapids organization were dinged with one-game suspensions while San Jose escaped unhurt from league sanction. The Earthquakes will, however, miss 2012 league MVP and leading scorer Chris Wondolowski due to a right foot contusion, according to the club.

Not that his loss  is a crusher this year, as “Wondo” and his relative struggles are among the reasons San Jose is ahead of only lowly Chivas USA in the West. Five goals in 16 matches isn’t exactly awful, but considering Wondolowski (pictured above) had 27 last year in twice the number of matches … well, yeah.

Speaking of struggling:

D.C. United is awful. Shockingly awful, dead last in the East and, with just seven goals in 15 matches, on pace to be the worst offense in 19 MLS seasons. The 13-game winless streak is a club record and No. 13 in the spiral of woe was particularly galling to fans of the Black and Red.

(Again, no offense to you fans of the Reds … ) Last week’s 2-1 loss to similarly bedraggled Toronto came with this extra kick in the teeth: United actually had a lead. At home! And yet … 2-1 happened, a story told well in this humorous Washington Post bit. Truly, the season has gone so far sideways around D.C. United – we should all have our paychecks docked for picking this group to be a Western conference favorite – that humor is all that’s left.

So if both teams are awful, why is this match even worthy of “Preview” status? United’s only chance of salvaging the season was a stretch of three straight home matches in June. Ben Olen’s team has already blown one, now a ridiculous 1-6-1 at home.

Dwayne De Rosario and Nick DeLeon (bookends on the age scale) were OK in last week’s loss. Otherwise, pretty much everyone stunk.

San Jose has a little momentum going after last week’s win in Colorado.

ADDITIONAL NOTES – Earthquakes notorious rabble-rouser Steven Lenhart will be suspended for a match if he picks up a yellow card Saturday. Anyone want some of that action? … Same for San Jose tough guy defender Victor Bernardez, who is making a habit of suspensions lately, in league play and internationally. …Center back Brandon McDonald was back in United’s starting lineup, although the results were hardly encouraging. Hard to say who’s up next in there. … This will be the second match of San Jose 2.0 without Frank Yallop in charge; before last week, he had been the team’s only head coach since the club was re-born in 2008.

Bundesliga will be ready to use video review next season

Referee Felix Zwayer shows the red card to Leipzig's Emil Forsberg during the German Bundesliga soccer match between FC Bayern Munich and RB Leipzig at the Allianz Arena stadium in Munich, Germany, Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2016. (AP Photo/Matthias Schrader)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) The Bundesliga says it will be ready to use video review next season.

[ MORE: Fonte’s strange situation ]

FIFA’s rules making panel, known as IFAB, is working with leagues to introduce Video Assistant Referees (VARs) ahead of likely approval for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

FIFA wants video review only for potential “clear errors” in four situations: Goals being scored, penalties being awarded, players being sent off, and cases of mistaken identity.

[ MORE: Latest Bundesliga news

IFAB should decide early next year on using VARs at the World Cup.

Germany’s top league kicks off next season in August.

A Bundesliga statement says it opted for a system “where all VARs will be assembled at a single location on the day of play,” as the NBA and MLB use.

In Russia, FIFA could opt for VARs working at the stadium as part of each referee’s support team.

Premier League Power Rankings – Week 21

1 Comment

The latest Premier League player Power Rankings are here and we have a new man on top.

Players from Tottenham and Chelsea dominate the list, plus there are plenty of new entries from across the league. In the video above I break down the reasons for picking my top five.

[ MORE: Power Rankings archive

Remember: this is a list of the top 20 performing players right now in the Premier League.

Let us know in the comments section below if you agree with the selections of the top 20 players in the PL right now.


  1. Harry Kane (Tottenham) – Up 11
  2. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Man United) – Even
  3. Dele Alli (Tottenham) – Down 2
  4. Alexis Sanchez (Arsenal) – Up 4
  5. Michail Antonio (West Ham) – New entry
  6. Olivier Giroud (Arsenal) – New entry
  7. Adam Lallana (Liverpool) – Down 1
  8. Laurent Koscielny (Arsenal) – New entry
  9. Christian Eriksen (Tottenham) – Even
  10. Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea) – Even
  11. Kyle Walker (Tottenham) – New entry
  12. Danny Rose (Tottenham) – New entry
  13. Kevin De Bruyne (Man City) – Down 1
  14. Marcos Alonso (Chelsea) – New entry
  15. Abel Hernandez (Hull City) – New entry
  16. Marko Arnautovic (Stoke City) – New entry
  17. Romelu Lukaku (Everton) – New entry
  18. Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham) – New entry
  19. Hugo Lloris (Tottenham) – Down 1
  20. Tom Heaton (Burnley) – New entry

Strange Fonte situation nears end as West Ham close in

SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 26:  Jose Fonte of Southampton celebrates as he scores their third goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Southampton and Arsenal at St Mary's Stadium on December 26, 2015 in Southampton, England.  (Photo by Charlie Crowhurst/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jose Fonte was linked with moves to Manchester United and Liverpool throughout the summer transfer window and for most of the January window.

Now a move to West Ham or West Bromwich Albion seems more likely.

[ MORE: Vertonghen injury update ]

Multiple outlets are reporting that Fonte, 33, has agreed terms with the two Premier League clubs, while West Ham are believed to be in the driving seat for Southampton’s skipper who they will pay $11 million for.

Fonte, who has been with Saints since 2010, handed in a transfer request earlier this month and is unavailable for selection until he is either sold by Southampton or the transfer window closes without him leaving.

The latter does not look likely, even if West Ham manager Slaven Bilic refused to comment specifically on Fonte in his press conference on Thursday. If the move to the Hammers does go through then it would end a strange, and sad, final chapter in Fonte’s career at St Mary’s.

He joined Saints in the third-tier in January 2010 and the center back is the only player remaining from their League One days. In seven years he has risen with Southampton and has become one of the most reliable center backs in the PL, plus got his chance with the Portuguese national team and started every game in the knockout stage as Portugal won EURO 2016 this summer.

After that triumph Fonte’s head seemed to have been turned and with his new agent Jorge Mendes (the same “super agent” who looks after Fonte’s compatriots Cristiano Ronaldo and Jose Mourinho) he seemed to be eyeing a move away.

[ LONGFORM: Jose Fonte, baby ]

I was at a preseason game for Saints against Espanyol in August where Fonte turned up late (he had arrived late for preseason after his summer exploits with Portugal) and all of Southampton’s fans stood on their feet to applaud him for his success with Portugal at EURO 2016 and chanted for him to stay at St Mary’s. He rather sheepishly gave a wave but it all looked rather staged. It just didn’t feel right and there was no real surprise that the rumors about him leaving didn’t end until the end of the summer transfer window.

No clubs seemed too interested in taking him from Saints and anyway he had 18 months to run on his current, plus Southampton offered him a one-year extension and a pay raise without him even asking.

Fonte, for some reason, declined that offer and ever since then then there have been reports about him being a negative influence in the locker room and despite his play on the field not dropping dramatically he has put out cryptic message on Instagram, plus he didn’t play a single second of Southampton’s landmark UEFA Europa League group stage campaign for unknown reasons.

This situation is really nothing to do with current manager Claude Puel. He is caught in the middle and Executive director of football Les Reed finally came out and spoke about Fonte’s future two weeks ago as he revealed the Portuguese defender wanted out.

The way this has ended is messy for everyone involved but what more can Saints do?

They have a player who is adored by the fans after rising with them from the lower leagues to a sixth-place finish and European action. He is the captain of the club but is refusing to sign a new deal and has told them he wants to leave. Out of respect for Fonte, Saints will let any reasonable offer take him away from St Mary’s. Yet, it didn’t have to end like this.

If Fonte does go to West Ham, he may get an increase in his wages for the final few years of his career but then what? He would’ve had a job for life at Southampton had he played out the remaining 18 months of his current deal or then extended it for another season to take him towards the age of 36.

This whole situation seems very strange and for everyone involved some sort of explanation would help with wading through the mess if Fonte does leave Southampton, as expected, in the coming days. It is unlikely Fonte had West Ham or West Brom near the top of his ideal destinations when he made it clear he wanted to leave Saints. Now, those are the options awaiting him. Maybe he saw so many of his former teammates leave Saints and go on to better things (look at Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Morgan Schneiderlin, Sadio Mane et al.) and fancied some of that following his success with Portugal in the summer.

No disrespect to Fonte but a veteran center back from Saints is hardly as enticing as the likes of Lallana and Mane were in summers gone by.

Amid the current situations regarding Dimitri Payet and Diego Costa in the Premier League, this one involving Fonte and Southampton has somewhat flown under the radar. It shouldn’t have. Serious questions need to be asked about what the heck has been going on.

Survivors gather as Chapecoense plays first game since fatal crash

CHAPECO, BRAZIL - DECEMBER 03:  Relatives of the members of Brazilian team Chapecoense Real pay  tribute at the club's Arena Conda stadium in Chapeco, in the southern Brazilian state of Santa Catarina, on December 03, 2016. The players were killed in a plane accident in the Colombian mountains. Players of the Chapecoense team were among the 77 people on board the doomed flight that crashed into mountains in northwestern Colombia. Officials said just six people were thought to have survived, including three of the players. Chapecoense had risen from obscurity to make it to the Copa Sudamericana finals scheduled for Wednesday against Atletico Nacional of Colombia.  (Photo by Buda Mendes/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

CHAPECO, Brazil (AP) Slowly and steadily, Rafael Henzel will climb into the cramped space to broadcast Saturday’s friendly match for Brazilian club Chapecoense, the first since nearly the entire team was killed in an air crash almost two months ago.

Only six of the 77 passengers survived – and Henzel was one of them.

“The stairway at the Arena Conda is very steep, but I have extra motivation to be in that stadium again and see players wearing our shirt, the fans. It won’t be that stairway that will stop me,” Henzel told The Associated Press after his morning show on radio Oeste Capital.

Henzel has worked at Chapecoense matches since 2012, and is the voice of the team from the remote, southern Brazilian city of Chapeco. After 20 days in a hospital, seven broken ribs, multiple scars – one over his right eye- and worrisome pneumonia, Henzel went back to work at the radio station just over a week ago.

Now he’s making his second return – what he calls “Rafael 2.0” – in the match against Brazilian league champion Palmeiras, preparing to once again get behind the microphone at the tiny stadium.

His left foot is in a cast, but that won’t stop him.

“When I woke up at the crash site, I became aware of what had happened,” he said, recalling the crash. “Initially, I thought I was dreaming but then, shortly after, you start to realize that the plane had crashed.”

Three Chapecoense players survived – 19 were killed – when the plane slammed into the Andes mountains as it headed to the city of Medellin to face Colombian team Atletico Nacional in the Copa Sudamericana final – the No. 2 club tournament in South America.

All three hope to play again, in one fashion or another. And all three are expected for Chape’s debut on Saturday.

Defender Neto, who spent more than 10 hours in the plane wreckage before being rescued, recently took his first steps without support.

He’s already visited the club and will be an inspiration for Chape’s new players in a busy season. Their 2017 commitments include defending their title in the Santa Catarina state league, keeping the team up in Brazil’s first division, playing for the first time in the prestigious Copa Libertadores – the continent’s No. 1 tournament – and fundraising in a pile of friendlies, including one against Barcelona.

“If I didn’t believe I could recover, I will get depressed,” Neto told reporters. “Doctors said I might return this year, but I don’t know whether my knees are still up for it,” Neto said in a press conference. “I will be here to give support to the players that come. It’s not easy to represent all those who died, but I want to be fit to play so I can be more than a symbol. I want to make a real contribution.”

Winger Alan Ruschel is the player in best shape for a return. He expects to be back within six months, but no doctor says it will definitely happen.

“I will do all that I can to play again, and I will be patient to get there,” Ruschel said. In tears, he said he has no recollection of the accident.

“I was in the front seats, then I changed with a friend of ours that is now gone,” he said. “I am pretty sure that that made me survive, because our goalkeeper Jakson Follmann was next to me and he also escaped. It was Follmann who told me to sit next to him, so I guess he also saved my life. I will have to live with this feeling forever.”

Goalie Follmann will not play for Chape again. He had part of his right leg amputated and is still going through minor surgery. He is considering becoming a Paralympian and a member of Chape’s staff.

The goalie has avoided talking about the future, but is not as gloomy as many about his current state.

“I choose life over the leg,” he told doctors during his recovery. “We will manage this easily.”

Mauricio Savarese on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MSavarese .His work can be found at http://bigstory.ap.org/journalist/mauricio-savarese