Soccer-wise, most Europe ports of call remain ahead of the United States when it comes to high-level know-how. In some places, it’s not even close.
But in media trust-worthiness, the United States gets the big check mark. Most of the time, it’s not even close.
(Jurgen Klinsmann always laughs when someone asks about media criticism in the United States, about whether it bothers him. He generally says something like, “I played and coached in Europe, where they just make things up about you!”)
So take it with heaping helpings of the proverbial salt, but this report in a Spanish daily says Mexican star Giovani dos Santos has rejected a $2.5 million annual salary and a $10 million transfer price to play for the Galaxy.
The salary does not sound wildly out of line. At that price the young attacker would be well behind the Thierry Henry, Robbie Keane and Tim Cahill in the ranking of highest paid MLS men. Heck, he wouldn’t even be the second highest paid kicker around the LA Galaxy; Landon Donovan makes roughly the same each year.
But that $10 million transfer price seems a little fishy given Major League Soccer’s aversion to such splashy deals. Transfer fees are happening more and more around MLS. (For incoming players, that is; fairly significant deals for outgoing MLS men have been common for years.)
Still, that’s a lot to AEG scratch for a young guy who spent a lot of time being unsettled in his club situation before finally finding some stability last year at Spain’s Mallorca.
The Galaxy still have David Beckham’s Designated Player slot to fill and would love to have a showpiece name added to this year’s roster by summer transfer season’s conclusion.
MILAN (AP) Sassuolo’s victory over Pescara has been reversed to a 3-0 loss.
Sassuolo won Sunday’s Serie A match 2-1 but the league now says it fielded an ineligible player.
The league says the paperwork for the signing of Antonino Ragusa, who played the final 25 minutes, had not been filed by noon the day before the match – as its rules demand.
Sassuolo says it followed the rules and will appeal.
The club was one of four teams to win both its opening matches, along with Genoa, Juventus and Sampdoria.
Jack Wilshere won’t be with Arsenal following Wednesday’s transfer deadline, however, where the Gunners midfielder lands is yet to be seen.
[ MORE: Is David Luiz poised for a return to Stamford Bridge? ]
According to Daily Mail, as many as 22 clubs are in the mix to acquire Wilshere on loan, including various Premier League sides.
[ MORE: Aguero charged by FA, could be out for Manchester derby ]
While Daily Mail suggests that Crystal Palace is among the leaders to bring in the 24-year-old center midfielder this season, Bournemouth and Watford are also said to be in the mix to sign the playmaker.
Manager Arsene Wenger reportedly won’t allow the Englishman to go to any of the top four sides in England and also hopes that Wilshere lands outside of the UK .
Wilshere is also being chased by foreign clubs including Serie A sides Juventus and Roma.
The Gunners have been active as the deadline heads down its final hours, with Lucas Perez of Deportivo La Coruna and Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi both joining the club on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, young defender Calum Chambers has joined Middlesbrough on loan and Serge Gnarby is reportedly close to joining Werder Bremen after drawing significant interest from Bundesliga sides.
CHICAGO (AP) The U.S. women’s national team will host Switzerland for two matches this October in Minneapolis and Utah.
The matches for the defending World Cup champions are set for Oct. 19 at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah, and at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on Oct. 23.
The U.S. team has played Switzerland just twice before, with the Americans winning both matches.
The United States is also facing Thailand on Sept. 15 in Columbus, Ohio, before playing the Netherlands in Atlanta on Sept. 18.
The team will be without goalkeeper Hope Solo, who was suspended from the team for six months following comments she made at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics. The United States was ousted by Sweden in the quarterfinals for the team’s earliest-ever exit at the Olympics.
Just incase you were unaware, there’s another Pogba. And he too could be playing in the Premier League very soon.
[ MORE: Could David Luiz be making a return to Stamford Bridge? ]
While it was Paul Pogba that stole the spotlight when he returned to Manchester United for a world-record transfer fee, Florentin — his 26-year-old brother — is drawing interest from England’s top flight.
According to the Sun, David Moyes and Sunderland are launching an $8.5 million bid for the St Etienne defender as a potential replacement for Lamine Kone. The Black Cats still anticipate that Kone will exit the Stadium of Light this season after handing in a transfer request earlier this month.
Pogba has played with the Ligue 1 club since 2012 after joining from lower-division club Sedan. Additionally, the centerback has made 13 appearances for Guinea at the international level.