Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cavani to Chelsea, Rooney to Barca

5 Comments

There are plenty of transfer rumors involving some huge players this morning, hopefully this summer transfer window starts to heat up soon.

The rumor mill seems to be shifting into overdrive in recent days, so here are Tuesday’s biggest transfer rumors around Europe.

Wayne Rooney is at the center of intense transfer speculation, again, with Barcelona said to be the interested party this time. The 27-year-old Manchester United striker put in a transfer request at the end of the 2012-13 season but that was overshadowed by news of Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement. Now Rooney’s future as a Red Devil is back up in the air, with Barca apparently offering $38 million for the England international. Rooney clearly wants out but Chelsea and Real Madrid are also monitoring the situation carefully. Personally I think Barca would be the best fit for him. (The Sun)

Elsewhere, the Edinson Cavani saga has taken a new twist, with Chelsea apparently striking a $75 million deal with Napoli. The Uruguayan forward is certainly on his way out of Napoli, with the 26-year-old set to make over $11 million per season. Il Matador would certainly fit in with Chelsea’s style of play and after Manchester City revealed they wouldn’t be following up their initial interest in Cavani, Chelsea look set to seal his signature. Hopefully this deal gets sorted out, because boy, this one has dragged on. (The Telegraph)

Spanish whizkid Isco looks set for a move to Real Madrid after impressing in Spain’s Under-21 European Championship success. The 21-year-old Malaga attacker won La Liga’s breakthrough player of the year last season and has admitted to Spanish newspaper AS, that a move to Madrid would tempt him. With Carlo Ancelotti now in charge plenty of transfers to and from Real should take place in the coming weeks, Isco joining for around $37.5 million is almost a certainty. (Sky Sports)

Everton are chasing Japanese international Keisuke Honda, with the 27-year-old CSKA Moscow playmaker set to cost around $8 million. Honda impressed new manager Roberto Martinez with his performances at the Confederations Cup. And now he could become Martinez’ first signing as Everton boss. David Moyes has also been pursuing Honda and now it seems as if Martinez will step up the hunt. Honda has 15 goals in 45 games for Japan, but is out of contract with CSKA in January. However AC Milan are said to be waiting in the wings to pick him up on a free. Better act fast, Roberto. (Liverpool Echo)

Southampton are set to step down their interest in Celtic’s highly-rated midfielder Victor Wanyama. The 22-year-old Kenyan has rejected personal terms after his agents were believed to have asked for a $1.5 million fee for facilitating the move. Cardiff City are now set for talks with Wanyama, as he weighs up his options away from Celtic Park. It was only earlier this season that Manchester United and Barcelona were set to be chasing his signature. But perhaps regular minutes at a smaller EPL side would do him good right now? (Daily Mail)

Premier League Preview: Liverpool vs. Crystal Palace

Getty Images
Leave a comment
  • Liverpool will still be without Philippe Coutinho due to a back injury.
  • Adam Lallana, Nathaniel Clyne also miss out, but Daniel Sturridge is fit.
  • Crystal Palace has won three-straight games against Liverpool in the Premier League.
  • Both teams have scored in each of the last 10 meetings in all competitions between Liverpool and Crystal Palace, averaging 3.9 goals per match.

For the second-consecutive week, Liverpool will have to play without Philippe Coutinho, who is still missing with a back injury.

However, that didn’t seem to be an issue last week against Watford as Liverpool scored three goals, but it was the leaky defense that allowed Watford to score three goals themselves. (Watch live at 10:00 a.m. ET Saturday on NBCSN and online via NBCSports.com).

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Crystal Palace meanwhile also allowed three goals last week but couldn’t score any of its own as it was humbled, 3-0 to Huddersfield. Crystal Palace’s squad is still struggling to adjust to manager Frank De Boer‘s free-flowing style of play and Wilfried Zaha will miss Saturday’s encounter.

But working in Crystal Palace’s favor is Christian Benteke and the club’s three straight wins over Liverpool. It will surely be an open and exciting match at Anfield.

What they’re saying

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp on Crystal Palace: “We played Crystal Palace a few weeks ago. I’m not 100 per cent sure about the line-ups in that game, but Phil and Zaha were on the pitch and they will not be [this weekend]. I’m not sure if Adam played in this game, but that’s how it is…The only thing we know is it’s a tough game, probably both teams were not overly happy – we were not really disappointed about our first game, but it was how a first game can be, there are things to improve and it’s always like this, but even then we could’ve won which I think everybody knows.”

Crystal Palace manager Frank De Boer on his system of play: “I am not a manager who suddenly after a defeat decides to change things around and as I say I did see some very positive points so I am not going to change the system. We don’t need to use adapting to a change in style of our play as an excuse, it’s not so difficult and quite easy to play. The Premier League is so competitive that you have to work hard as a team to get a result because if you don’t you get punished. The players don’t want to use the new system as an excuse and I think everybody understands what we want but we have to execute it better.”

Video Preview

Prediction

Liverpool’s centerback pair of Joel Matip and Dejan Lovren looked better midweek in the UEFA Champions League against Hoffenheim, but it’s another challenge to face Benteke and a motivated Crystal Palace team. Still, the speed of thought and pace on the field of Mo Salah and Sadio Mane should prove to be the difference. Liverpool 3-2 Crystal Palace

Blaise Matuidi completes move from PSG to Juventus

Getty Images
Leave a comment

PARIS (AP) France midfielder Blaise Matuidi completed his move from Paris Saint-Germain to Juventus on Friday.

Matuidi arrived in Turin for a medical on Wednesday but the move finally went through Friday, PSG said in a statement.

[ MORE: Serie A scores, schedule ]

No financial details were given, but Juventus will reportedly pay PSG 20 million euros ($23 million) plus bonuses for the player, who had a year left on his contract. PSG did not say how long Matuidi’s contract is with the Italian champion.

The French club, runner-up to Monaco last year, is trying to balance the books after buying Neymar for 222 million euros ($261 million) and could not afford to lose Matuidi on a free transfer.

(more…)

Premier League Preview: Swansea City vs. Manchester United

Getty Images
Leave a comment
  • Manchester United have won two of its last three Premier League meetings with Swansea City (D1), this after losing the previous three all by a 2-1 scoreline.
  • Romelu Lukaku is looking to become the fifth player to score in his first two PL apps for Man Utd (also Ibrahimovic, Martial, Macheda, Saha).
  • Swansea City will be without forward Fernando Llorente (transfer) and playmaker Gylfi Sigurdsson (transfer to Everton)
  • Manchester United are still without Luke Shaw and Ashley Young, both of whom are injured.

Two teams on two completely different trajectories meet up in South Wales as Swansea City hosts Manchester United (Watch live at 7:30 p.m. ET Saturday on NBCSN and online via NBCSports.com).

Manchester United are trending up, coming off an impressive 4-0 win over West Ham in the opening weekend in which new signings Romelu Lukaku and Nemanja Matic starred and dominated the game.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Swansea City on the other hand are trending down, slumping to a scoreless draw last week and this week seeing the club lose its top player, Gylfi Sigurdsson to Everton.

What they’re saying

Man United manager Jose Mourinho on his team’s start to the season: “It’s just the beginning. Last season, we started with three matches and nine points and we finished sixth. So it’s not because of a very good first day that I’m going to lose my stability and my discipline and let the players think differently from myself.”

Swansea City manager Paul Clement on facing Man United: “We have confidence because of what we did against Manchester United last season, while the record between these two clubs is quite interesting. Our record in the Premier League against Southampton, for example, is not very good, but against United it’s quite encouraging.

“We are looking forward to playing in front of our fans again and hopefully we can do well for them.”

Video Preview

Prediction

Swansea City will have the force of its fans behind it as well as recent good performances against Man United. However, Jose Mourinho’s men should buck the trend and win this one without too much of a fight. Manchester United 3-0 Swansea City

Reports: Liverpool reject latest Barcelona offer for Coutinho

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Barcelona has reportedly upped its offer for the services of Philippe Coutinho. But the response from Liverpool has remained the same.

According to multiple reports, Liverpool has rejected a third Barcelona offer for Coutinho, believed to be worth up to $151.5 million. Coutinho put in a transfer request a week ago but Liverpool has remained firm on its desire to keep Coutinho for this season. Liverpool has not yet publicly commented on Barcelona’s latest transfer bid.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Coutinho meanwhile is still off the field for Liverpool due to a back injury, the club states.

“Phil is not available; he is not training so far, so there is nothing new,” manager Jurgen Klopp told reporters. “It is always how it is with injured players, there is no real time on when he is back.”

The Brazilian midfielder signed a new five-year contract with Liverpool just last January and the deal doesn’t have a buy-out clause. But should Liverpool accept a new bid for Coutinho, he’d become the second-most expensive transfer behind fellow Brazilian Neymar.

It’s unclear whether Barcelona will shift focus to other targets such as Borussia Dortmund’s Ousmane Dembele or Atletico Madrid’s Antoine Griezmann as a replacement for Neymar.