There are plenty of transfer rumors involving some huge players this morning, hopefully this summer transfer window starts to heat up soon.
The rumor mill seems to be shifting into overdrive in recent days, so here are Tuesday’s biggest transfer rumors around Europe.
Wayne Rooney is at the center of intense transfer speculation, again, with Barcelona said to be the interested party this time. The 27-year-old Manchester United striker put in a transfer request at the end of the 2012-13 season but that was overshadowed by news of Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement. Now Rooney’s future as a Red Devil is back up in the air, with Barca apparently offering $38 million for the England international. Rooney clearly wants out but Chelsea and Real Madrid are also monitoring the situation carefully. Personally I think Barca would be the best fit for him. (The Sun)
Elsewhere, the Edinson Cavani saga has taken a new twist, with Chelsea apparently striking a $75 million deal with Napoli. The Uruguayan forward is certainly on his way out of Napoli, with the 26-year-old set to make over $11 million per season. Il Matador would certainly fit in with Chelsea’s style of play and after Manchester City revealed they wouldn’t be following up their initial interest in Cavani, Chelsea look set to seal his signature. Hopefully this deal gets sorted out, because boy, this one has dragged on. (The Telegraph)
Spanish whizkid Isco looks set for a move to Real Madrid after impressing in Spain’s Under-21 European Championship success. The 21-year-old Malaga attacker won La Liga’s breakthrough player of the year last season and has admitted to Spanish newspaper AS, that a move to Madrid would tempt him. With Carlo Ancelotti now in charge plenty of transfers to and from Real should take place in the coming weeks, Isco joining for around $37.5 million is almost a certainty. (Sky Sports)
Everton are chasing Japanese international Keisuke Honda, with the 27-year-old CSKA Moscow playmaker set to cost around $8 million. Honda impressed new manager Roberto Martinez with his performances at the Confederations Cup. And now he could become Martinez’ first signing as Everton boss. David Moyes has also been pursuing Honda and now it seems as if Martinez will step up the hunt. Honda has 15 goals in 45 games for Japan, but is out of contract with CSKA in January. However AC Milan are said to be waiting in the wings to pick him up on a free. Better act fast, Roberto. (Liverpool Echo)
Southampton are set to step down their interest in Celtic’s highly-rated midfielder Victor Wanyama. The 22-year-old Kenyan has rejected personal terms after his agents were believed to have asked for a $1.5 million fee for facilitating the move. Cardiff City are now set for talks with Wanyama, as he weighs up his options away from Celtic Park. It was only earlier this season that Manchester United and Barcelona were set to be chasing his signature. But perhaps regular minutes at a smaller EPL side would do him good right now? (Daily Mail)
Minnesota United attacker Kevin Molino has given Trinidad and Tobago life in the race to win a spot at the 2018 World Cup.
Molino’s 37th minute goal gave hosts T&T a 1-0 lead against visiting Panama at Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain on Friday, and the Soca Warriors held on to win its first points of qualifying.
Panama had a Luis Tejada goal controversially ruled offside as Los Canaleros nearly pulled their fifth point of the Hex. Panama faces the USMNT on Tuesday in Panama City.
[ WATCH: Zaha scores wonder vs. Russia ]
Molino fooled long time LA Galaxy goalkeeper Jaime Penedo with a low shot across the body. The Panama backstop couldn’t get low enough or far enough with his dive to stop the shot.
The win has T&T in fifth place on the Hex table, behind Honduras on goal differential and three points ahead of the last place USMNT.
The U.S. needs a two-goal win to pass T&T, and a three-goal win to climb above Honduras.
Wilfried Zaha combined balance, deft touch, and breakneck speed to score his first international goal for the Ivory Coast.
With his side leading Russia 1-0 on Friday, the Crystal Palace winger worked his way through four defenders before burying his shot.
[ MORE: Smalling hurt, Gibson called up ]
Zaha especially fooled with Ilya Kutepov, a harsh cut nearly tipping both to the field.
He’s just 24, and it seems much longer ago that he made his failed move to Manchester United in 2013.
Failed may be a rough verb considering it all contributed to making him the player he is for Crystal Palace and Ivory Coast today.
A horror tackle from Wales’ Neil Taylor snapped Seamus Coleman‘s leg in gruesome fashion on Friday.
Taylor was given a red card, and Coleman was stretched off the pitch in the 0-0 draw.
[ MORE: UEFA World Cup qualifying wrap ]
Ireland manager Martin O’Neill confirmed what was apparent from the match replay: the Everton man has a broken ankle.
“It’s a bad break. He’s a fantastic player and character. It’s a major blow for the lad, his club and us.
“Apparently it wasn’t the best challenge in the world – I haven’t seen it. He’s gone to hospital. I saw his reaction immediately and it didn’t look good. He was holding is leg up and it didn’t look good.
This is not only awful for the player, but causes stress as Everton mounts its assault on the Top Six. The right back has also manned right mid for Ronald Koeman this season, and has four goals and four assists in 26 Premier League matches.
Mason Holgate, Muhamed Besic, and Phil Jagielka have played some right back for Everton, while Ramiro Funes Mori has deputized at left back.
After wearing the No. 5 to honor of his recently deceased teammate, James McClean met with the media following Ireland’s 0-0 draw with Wales in World Cup qualifying on Friday.
McClean played with Ryan McBride at Derry City, and left Ireland camp to attend funeral services after McBride died following a match last weekend. McClean was also mourning the death of friend and Sinn Féin politician Martin McGuinness.
Throw in a gruesome injury to teammate Seamus Coleman and, in McClean’s words, “I’ve had better weeks”.
[ MORE: UEFA World Cup qualifying wrap ]
McClean, 27, spoke with evident emotion following a Man of the Match turn in Ireland’s draw (video below).
“It was a really tough week. The lads here have been great. They rallied around me. The manager was first class as well. He let me go up to Derry there on Tuesday and say my goodbyes. It’s been a tough week with Seamus injury as well. It’d been nice if we had have got a win and ended on a positive note, but it wasn’t to be.
“(McBride and McGuinness) were going through my thoughts today. I wanted to put in a performance that would make them proud. In the national anthem and the moment’s applause, holding my wee girl, it was emotional but I tried to put that in the right way into my performance. Hopefully tonight I’ve done the lads proud.”