Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cavani to Chelsea, Rooney to Barca

5 Comments

There are plenty of transfer rumors involving some huge players this morning, hopefully this summer transfer window starts to heat up soon.

The rumor mill seems to be shifting into overdrive in recent days, so here are Tuesday’s biggest transfer rumors around Europe.

Wayne Rooney is at the center of intense transfer speculation, again, with Barcelona said to be the interested party this time. The 27-year-old Manchester United striker put in a transfer request at the end of the 2012-13 season but that was overshadowed by news of Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement. Now Rooney’s future as a Red Devil is back up in the air, with Barca apparently offering $38 million for the England international. Rooney clearly wants out but Chelsea and Real Madrid are also monitoring the situation carefully. Personally I think Barca would be the best fit for him. (The Sun)

Elsewhere, the Edinson Cavani saga has taken a new twist, with Chelsea apparently striking a $75 million deal with Napoli. The Uruguayan forward is certainly on his way out of Napoli, with the 26-year-old set to make over $11 million per season. Il Matador would certainly fit in with Chelsea’s style of play and after Manchester City revealed they wouldn’t be following up their initial interest in Cavani, Chelsea look set to seal his signature. Hopefully this deal gets sorted out, because boy, this one has dragged on. (The Telegraph)

Spanish whizkid Isco looks set for a move to Real Madrid after impressing in Spain’s Under-21 European Championship success. The 21-year-old Malaga attacker won La Liga’s breakthrough player of the year last season and has admitted to Spanish newspaper AS, that a move to Madrid would tempt him. With Carlo Ancelotti now in charge plenty of transfers to and from Real should take place in the coming weeks, Isco joining for around $37.5 million is almost a certainty. (Sky Sports)

Everton are chasing Japanese international Keisuke Honda, with the 27-year-old CSKA Moscow playmaker set to cost around $8 million. Honda impressed new manager Roberto Martinez with his performances at the Confederations Cup. And now he could become Martinez’ first signing as Everton boss. David Moyes has also been pursuing Honda and now it seems as if Martinez will step up the hunt. Honda has 15 goals in 45 games for Japan, but is out of contract with CSKA in January. However AC Milan are said to be waiting in the wings to pick him up on a free. Better act fast, Roberto. (Liverpool Echo)

Southampton are set to step down their interest in Celtic’s highly-rated midfielder Victor Wanyama. The 22-year-old Kenyan has rejected personal terms after his agents were believed to have asked for a $1.5 million fee for facilitating the move. Cardiff City are now set for talks with Wanyama, as he weighs up his options away from Celtic Park. It was only earlier this season that Manchester United and Barcelona were set to be chasing his signature. But perhaps regular minutes at a smaller EPL side would do him good right now? (Daily Mail)

Lamela needs hip surgery, out for rest of Spurs season

Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Tottenham Hotspur won’t be getting an Erik Lamela boost any time soon.

The 25-year-old winger will undergo surgery on his ailing hip this Saturday, costing him availability for Spurs’ stretch run and Argentina duty.

[ MORE: RSL hires Petke ]

Lamela has been missing since Oct. 29, and left Spurs lineup with the team unbeaten in the Premier League (5W-4D).

He registered a goal and an assist in PL play, adding a goal and four helpers in the side’s first two rounds of the EFL Cup and two assists in three Champions League matches.

Real Salt Lake introduces Mike Petke as new head coach

Photo by Mike Stobe/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mike Petke is getting a deserved next kick as an MLS coach.

The New York Red Bulls icon, 41, is taking over at Real Salt Lake, where he had been leading USL side Real Monarchs since December.

“They’re an animal waiting to be released from a cage,” Petke called RSL’s roster.

[ MORE: Zlatan to stay at United?

Petke won better than 41 percent of his matches as RBNY boss, leading the club to the 2013 Supporters’ Shield. This came after 351 matches between Colorado, the Red Bulls/MetroStars, and DC United.

He leaves Real Monarchs with a perfect 1-0 record. Unbeaten!

“The vision that he laid out, along with Craig and Rob, was music to my ears,” Petek said. “They really showed me what was ahead for the RSL organization, and it was an easy thing to be a part of.”

Petke thanked the Monarchs for restoring some of his love for managing, something he said was “kicked out of me”. The Red Bulls shockingly parted ways with Petke in January 2015, moving onto Jesse Marsch.

This is a low risk hire for Real, who gains a respected coach and soccer mind. The optics aren’t great coming so early into the season and so soon after his hiring at Monarchs raised eyebrows.

The hiring comes four days after RSL drew the Red Bulls 0-0 at Red Bull Arena, which is the only disappointment of this whole ordeal: Not getting to see the response at his old home.

Referee leaders want on-field official to see video replays

Getty Images
Leave a comment

LONDON (AP) Antoine Griezmann headed the ball into the net and was in full celebration mode with his France teammates when referee Felix Swayer pinned a finger into his left ear to block out the stadium noise.

[ VIDEO: VAR system used correctly

An assistant in front of a bank of monitors was assessing replays and had some bad news for Griezmann. Swayer was told through his earpiece that a player was offside in the buildup.

The goal was then ruled out, without Swayer seeing a replay. But that won’t necessarily be the case by the time video replays are fully approved to be rolled out across soccer.

For now, the experimental phase is still in full flow but if refereeing leaders get their way officials should always have access to the footage themselves around the field.

“The subjective decisions should be made by the on-field referee because they have got the feel for the game,” Mike Riley, general manager of English refereeing organization, told The Associated Press. “They can put it in the context of everything else. So as part of the process we have got to work out how we can do that as effectively as possible … without interrupting the flow of the game.”

The International Football Association Board, the game’s lawmaking body, is in its second year of trials with various versions of video assistant referees (VAR). Some games, like the France-Spain friendly, do not allow the referee to evaluate incidents and instead by rely on the VAR.

But VAR could end up only ruling on what Riley describes as “decisions of fact,” such as whether a ball was inside or outside the penalty area.

Ultimately, if you are appointing one of the top referees to preside over a major game, that person is seen as ideal for making the big calls, according to IFAB.

“Fundamentally we are told very much by players and coaches they want the referee to be making the most important decisions,” IFAB technical director David Elleray said, referencing England’s top referee. “They don’t know who is in a van out in the car park or 300 miles away in a match center.”

Soccer’s lawmakers only envisage video replays being used to correct game-changing decisions involving four situations: penalties being awarded, red cards, cases of mistaken identity and goals being scored.

That situation arose twice in the Stade de France on Tuesday as France lost 2-0 to Spain. After Griezmann’s goal was disallowed, video replays worked against France again but in Spain’s favor when an incorrect offside call against Gerard Deulofeu was overturned and his goal stood.

Swayer again relied on the information from a colleague benefiting from replays.

“Nicola Rizzoli was appointed to referee the last World Cup final because he is the best referee,” Elleray said. “But if actually the two most important decisions in the match are made by somebody watching a TV screen … the most important person is the man you put behind the TV screen not the man on the field.”

The challenges are how referees are able to view replays without lengthening the delay. For now the technology isn’t satisfactory for officials to use wearable devices and receive footage in real time. That means going to the side of the field to watch incidents with the eyes of thousands of fans in the stands on them. The screens are likely to be on the opposite side to the technical area to avoid coaches being able to surround and harangue the referee.

“Some of our stadiums don’t lend themselves to monitors by the side of the pitch because they are really tight,” said Riley, a former Premier League referee who is now in charge of appointments for games in the world’s richest soccer competition. “Is it right for referees to have to run 30 yards to go and look? Can you get the footage to the referee on the field somehow? All these things have to be explored through the experiment and come out with a solution that works for football.”

Live experiments are taking place in about 20 competitions this year, including the Confederations Cup in Russia in June and July that will serves as a World Cup test event.

Once IFAB adds video replays to the laws of the game, any competition meeting the requirements will be able to use them.

For Riley, permitting replays is “the most significant change in refereeing in the game for generations,” far more significant than the 2012 decision to allow technology that simply determines whether the ball crossed the goal line.

“If you are making such a significant change,” Riley said, “you need to really explore and understand all the potential implications.”

Rob Harris can be followed at http://www.twitter.com/RobHarris and http://www.facebook.com/RobHarrisReports

Amid fanfare, Bastian Schweinsteiger arrives in Chicago

Chicago Fire
Leave a comment

Arriving at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport, it is clear Bastian Schweinsteiger is kind of a big deal…

[ LIVE: Stream every PL game live

Posing for photos with fans as he stepped off the flight with his wife, former Serbian tennis star Ana Ivanovic, the former Bayern Munich midfielder was mobbed by Chicago Fire fans who are delighted he has arrived in Major League Soccer as the newest Designated Player.

The German legend has completed his move from Manchester United to the Fire and will be officially unveiled to the media on Wednesday after signing a one-year deal.

[ MORE: Latest MLS news ]

Schweinsteiger, 32, has already had a training session in the books and the World Cup winner is expected to make his debut in Chicago’s home clash with the Montreal Impact on Saturday at Toyota Park.

Below is a video of Schweinsteiger’s arrival in Chicago, his first training session and a collection of photos he took with ecstatic Fire fans.