U.S. national team notes ahead of the Gold Cup

2 Comments

(UPDATED 8:14 p.m. ET)

U.S. Soccer’s tentative plan is for a Thursday announcement of the Gold Cup roster, the day it is due into CONCACAF.

U.S Soccer spokesman Michael Kammarman said this afternoon there was an chance Thursday’s announcement would be pushed back a day; if player availability (due to injury or a shifting club situation) remains in question late into the day Thursday, U.S. Soccer may wait until Friday. The federation has until midnight to turn in the 23-man roster to CONCACAF, and there would be little point of releasing the roster late in the evening. In that case, they would make it public on Friday.

Report date: The players’ report date into Southern California is July 1, and Kammarman said there are no late arrivals expected at present.

Jurgen Klinsmann has scheduled a Gold Cup tune-up for this group July 5 against Guatemala in San Diego. Group play for the  United States begins four days later in Portland against Belize.

Bocanegra, Onyewu likely: If you look at the provisional 35-man roster released two weeks ago, it seems quite likely that Carlos Bocanegra and Oguchi Onyewu will be part of the Gold Cup team. Six center backs appear on the roster, but two of them (Omar Gonzalez and Matt Besler) were used extensively during over the last month.

So, Bocanegra (pictured), Onyweu, Clarence Goodson and Michael Orozco appear to be the likely choices for three group stage matches. (Michael Parkhurst could also man the middle, although he’s been a right back when called by Jurgen Klinsmann.)

Big-name additions possible: Do remember this, however: Klinsmann has mentioned the possibility of adding a Besler or a Gonzalez or a Graham Zusi for Gold Cup elimination matches. So long as they are on the provisional roster, they remain eligible.

Donovan is in: SI.com’s Grant Wahl is reporting that Landon Donovan will, indeed, be on the Gold Cup roster. Is it a peace offering from Klinsmann? It may not be a huge surprise, but Donovan hasn’t been consistent in his Galaxy performances, so this thing was not a slam dunk.

 

Here, again, is the 35-man provisional U.S. roster (the final 23-man roster must be adopted from this list).

Goalkeepers: Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (DC United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders: Corey Ashe (Houston Dynamo), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake), Matt Besler (Sporting KC), Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander), Edgar Castillo (Tijuana), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Oguchi Onyewu (Malaga), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Michael Parkhurst (Ausburg)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Heisingborgs), Joe Corona (Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting KC), Josh Gatt (Molde), Stuart Holden (Bolton), Brek Shea (Stoke City), Jose Torres (Tigres), Graham Zusi (Sporting KC)

Forwards: Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Alan Gordon (San Jose Earthquakes), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders), Jack McInerney (Philadelphia Union), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)

Juve’s Kean could leave club over tractor dispute

Photo by Mario Carlini / Iguana Press/Getty Images
Leave a comment

No tractors, no teenager.

Moise Kean, 17, broke into the Juventus senior team last season with a trio of Serie A appearances that concluded with a goal against Bologna on May 27.

He also made a token appearance in the UEFA Champions League against Sevilla, which all-in-all is a pretty solid debut for the century’s first birth to make an appearance in a Top Five league in Europe.

[ MORE: Fabinho has interest in Man Utd ]

About that contract, though.

Kean’s father, Biorou, says Juventus has broken a contractual promise to his family, and that could send the teenager into the transfer market. Biorou says that his son’s 18th birthday — Feb. 28, 2018 — could trigger Moise Kean leave town as “an adult.”

From Sky Sports:

“Juventus offered a contract of €700,000-a-year, which was fine, but the problem is they had also promised me some tractors for my agricultural business in the Ivory Coast, but now they say there is no budget for them.

“I own several hectares of land in the Ivory Coast which I would like to cultivate with rice and corn. I’m an agronomist. I asked for agricultural materials and they told me “no problem.”

Now, though, those tractors are not in the Ivory Coast, and Biorou claims that he never signed a contract with agent Mino Raiola. It all sets the table for further complains and a transfer, so it’s worth keeping an eye on this odd saga.

FIFA takes no further action on Mexico-New Zealand clashes

AP Photo/Martin Meissner
Leave a comment

ST. PETERSBURG, Russia (AP) FIFA will not intervene after reviewing two volatile clashes between New Zealand and Mexico players and coaches.

FIFA says “it has been verified that there are no grounds for any disciplinary action to be taken.”

Tempers flared in a running brawl late in Mexico’s 2-1 comeback win on Wednesday in Sochi.

[ MORE: Fabinho has interest in Man Utd ]

Three players were shown yellow cards after match officials paused the game to review video.

Replays showed at least one other player went unpunished after running into the melee to strike an opponent in the head.

In the first half, Mexico coach Juan Carlos Osorio was caught on the TV broadcast aiming a verbal obscenity at New Zealand coaching staff.

Osorio later apologized for the profanity provoked when New Zealand continued an attack as a Mexico player appeared injured.

Fabinho admits interest in Manchester United

Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images
Leave a comment

If even a fraction of this summer’s transfer interest is real, Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has taken every precaution against his biggest 2017 enemy: scheduled congestion.

Mourinho was a regular critic of United’s schedule last season in the run-up to its UEFA Europa League title win over Ajax, and is building his roster up for the UEFA Champions League.

[ MORE: Saief completes USMNT switch ]

The manager already had plenty of attacking options, and has added Victor Lindelof to his stable of defenders while reportedly flirting with PSG’s Marquinhos, too. Defensive midfielder Nemanja Matic is also a reported target (as are half of the world’s elite footballers).

And now, a wry smile from Monaco’s Fabinho hints that Mourinho may be making progress with another target.

‘‘It’s a tempting invitation. … I would first talk to my agent, Monaco too, to decide everything right. But it’s a great club, sure enough I would think well about it.”

Fabinho played mostly right back in 2014-15 before splitting time between that position and defensive midfielder the following year and seeing most of his time at CDM last season. Mourinho has lavished praise and given a contract extension to right back Antonio Valencia and has Ander Herrera, Michael Carrick, and Paul Pogba at CDM (though the latter can certainly operate higher up the field).

Chinese clubs to pay 100% tax on foreign transfers

Photo by Visual China/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The days of Chinese Super League sides spending eye-popping figures on a handful of international superstars are over — either that, or those figures are about to double — for now, at least.

[ MORE: Oscar given 8-game ban for petulant display in China ]

China’s Football Association announced Thursday that, effective immediately, any foreign player signed for a fee exceeding $6.63 million would be subject to a 100-percent tax on top of the fee paid to acquire the player. The tax will remain in effect until the end of China’s ongoing transfer window, July 14. The tax will also apply to Chinese players signed for a fee exceeding $3 million.

It’s Chinese authorities’ latest attempt to prevent big spending by CSL clubs, which has in every instance been detrimental to the development of young Chinese players making their way through the academy system. The taxed money will then be reinvested in “youth training, construction of public sporting facilities and scientific progress in football development,” according to a statement by the CFA.

Just last week, China was eliminated from contention to qualify for next summer’s World Cup in Russia. The only time China has ever qualified for the World Cup was in 2002.