Messi brings all-star cast to Chicago and LA in charity event

Leave a comment

Saturday, July 6 will see the stars of the soccer world from all around the globe invade Chicago in support of Lionel Messi’s foundation.

The 4-time Ballon d’Or winner himself will headline the event, with a star-studded cast alongside him in the Lionel Messi and Friends charity tour.

With the first two stops in Columbia and Peru, the match at Chicago’s Soldier Field will be the third of four matches across the Americas which will benefit the Leo Messi Foundation for at-risk children.

Playing in the Chicago event aside from Messi himself are players from around the world including fellow Argentine Sergio Aguero, rumor-heavy Edinson Cavani and Robert Lewandowski, New York Red Bulls’ Thierry Henry, Chelsea’s David Luiz and Florent Malouda, and Messi’s Barcelona teammates Jordi Alba, Sergio Busquets, and Cesc Fabregas.

American internationals Carlos Bocanegra and Michael Bradley will also take part in the event.

Bocanegra has a decent following in Chicago from his days with the Fire, partly under Bradley’s father Bob Bradley. Michael Bradley played his early youth days with the now-defunct Chicago Sockers.

Then the fanfare will pick up and relocate to Los Angeles‘s Memorial Coliseum a week later, with some players like Aguero, Fabregas, Busquets, Lewandowski, Giovani dos Santos, and Marek Hamsik reprising their role.  New faces will join them as well, including Gerard Pique, Alex Song, Javier Mascherano, Robinho, Kevin Prince-Boateng, and James Rodriguez.

The matches will be organized by Numero 5 LLC.  Its vice-president, Sergio Codino, did his best to play up the event to its American audience by saying, “The Messi and Friends friendly, much like the NFL Pro Bowl or the MLB All-Star Game, will provide fans with an incredible opportunity to witness the world’s greatest athletes from the world of soccer together on the field of competition before the FIFA World Cup in Brazil in 2014.”

Last year Messi held a similar event, a snoozefest in Miami that finished at 7-7 in front of 50,000 clearly bored fans.  Messi and Luis Suarez walked out with hat-tricks.

Juan Carlos Osorio to become new Mexico boss

Leave a comment

Mexico looks to have found a new manager in Juan Carlos Osorio.

Osorio, who had stints managing in Major League Soccer with the Chicago Fire and New York Red Bulls, was most recently coaching in Brazil with Sao Paulo.

However, the Brazilian club released a statement today that Osorio had decided to step down from his position in order to take the Mexico job.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s USMNT coverage ]

Following Miguel Herrera’s firing in July, Ricardo Ferretti was named interim manager of El Tri, and will coach the side in Saturday’s CONCACAF playoff match against the United States. However, Ferretti has stated he will not stay with Mexico past that match, and will return to Liga MX, where he serves as manager of Tigres UANL.

Osorio had recently been linked with the Mexico job, but said he would take his time in making a decision.

His only other exposure to Mexican football came during a short stint in Liga MX managing Puebla. He lasted just seven matches before resigning and returning to manage in his native Colombia.

[ RELATED: Donovan says Klinsmann should be fired if USMNT loses to Mexico ]

He was in line to take charge of the Honduras national team in 2011, but he was unable to get out of the contract with the Colombian team he was managing at the time.

There has been no official confirmation of the hiring from the Mexican Federation.

Benzema and Benitez in a war of words at Real Madrid

MADRID, SPAIN - SEPTEMBER 26: Head coach Rafael Benitez (R) of Real Madrid CF gives instructions to his player Karim Benzema (L) during the La Liga match between Real Madrid CF and Malaga CF at Estadio Santiago Bernabeu on September 26, 2015 in Madrid, Spain.  (Photo by Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Karim Benzema has scored six goals in his eight appearances for Real Madrid this season, and is currently the top scorer in La Liga.

Despite being in great form, Benzema has continuously been substituted by manager Rafa Benitez, which has upset the French striker.

Benzema opened the scoring for Real in the Madrid derby over the weekend, but was taken off in the 77th minute. Atletico would go on to score minutes later as the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

[ RELATED: Top moments from USMNT vs. Mexico ]

Speaking after the game, Benzema said he was “fed up” with being taken off, but will continue to work to help his team.

Substitutions are what the coach decides, I’m just there to help my teammates.

It’s true I’m fed up of being taken off. I’m calm and will continue to work so I’m not always subtituted. He took me off to get a result, for defensive reasons.

It’s true that the electronic board always shows the No.9. Ask Benitez why that is.

When told about Benzema’s comments, Benitez said he made the change for tactical reasons, as Real was in the lead and he replaced the striker with a more defensive-minded player in midfielder Mateo Kovacic.

I needed to give the team some balance at that point in the game. I’m a huge fan of Benzema. If I were Karim, I’d also be angry at being taken off when I thought I was playing well and was on a great run of form.

What I’d do if I were Karim is score more goals so that next time I don’t have to be taken off and can say, ‘Hey, here I am.’

Benitez’s response comes off as a backhanded compliment, asking Benzema to “score more goals,” despite the player leading La Liga in scoring. In fact, Benzema has averaged a goal every 84 minutes this season, an incredible strike rate.

[ RELATED: Chelsea release statement on Jose Mourinho’s future ]

Over the summer, Benzema was linked with a move away from Real Madrid, but he constantly denied the rumors and said he never thought about leaving the club, which he called the best in the world. Just a few matches into the new season, there may be some trouble in paradise.