Honduras v United States - FIFA 2014 World Cup Qualifier

Jozy Aldiore expresses his wish for another shot at the Premier League


After a disappointing loan spell with Hull City in the 2009/10 season, many thought Jozy Altidore was a Premier League bust.

The striker, then just 20 years old, scored a single goal in 28 appearances.  16 of those were starts, but he made it the full 90 minutes in just three of those.

Now, with his stock as high as it’s ever been and rumors flying left and right about where he’ll play next season, he’s made it clear he wants another shot in England.

And this time he knows it will be different.

“I have come a long way since then. I am almost a different player and I have learned a lot” Altidore told the Chronicle.  “It is a fantastic league, anyone will tell you that. If you look at everything, the Premier League is probably the biggest league in the world. Everybody knows that and it would be a pleasure to play in a league like that again.”

Sunderland are the English club most publicly after his signature, but other than speculation nothing has been made known involving his final whereabouts.

(MORE: Sunderland in for Jozy Altidore?)

Depending on AZ Alkmaar’s willingness to sell, it’s been said he could leave for a bid in the range of £4-7 million ($6-10.6 million).  That’s a relatively steep price for a young striker with just one outstanding season and an ugly Premier League past.  However, the key for Altidore is he’s improved with every passing year, and if his performances with the national team say anything, it’s that he can play on multiple stages.

AZ are looking to sell a number of players, but if some leave that could mean others would become more valuable for them to hold onto and make attempt to make another run at the KNVB Cup.

(MORE: AZ Alkmaar to sell second-leading goalscorer – what does this mean for Jozy Altidore?)

Much depends on the attitude of his current club, but clearly Jozy would relish an opportunity to prove the naysayers wrong – if there are any left after this summer – and succeed where he failed a few years ago.

Ferguson still being asked about Moyes: “We chose a good football man”

David Moyes Alex Ferguson
AP Photo/Martin Rickett/PA
Leave a comment

In some ways absence makes the heart grow fonder, but it seems Sir Alex Ferguson‘s life after Manchester United has been filled with second guessing.

Whether the sales of Paul Pogba and Gerard Pique or the appointment of David Moyes, “Fergie” apparently can’t rest on his title-winning laurels.

[ MORE: Tax evasion charges dropped against Messi, but not his father ]

One thing that seems to bug him more than anything, though, is the idea that he hand-picked David Moyes to be his successor, and should be responsible for his failings.

In a new documentary, Ferguson both defends the appointment of Moyes and explains the process behind his choice.

From the BBC:

“I don’t think we made a mistake at all. I think we chose a good football man,” Ferguson says. “Unfortunately it didn’t work for David.

“Jose Mourinho was going back to Chelsea, Carlo Ancelotti was going to Real Madrid, Jurgen Klopp had signed a contract with Dortmund, Louis Van Gaal was staying with Holland for the World Cup.”

The article also makes another key point, according to Ferguson: the manager claims he only gave United a few months notice that he’d be stepping down. That certainly didn’t provide a lot of lead time to secure a big boss.

What do you make it of it? If your answer is, “When can we stop talking about Moyes and United?” I tend to be with you, but it’s a talking point.

Tax evasion charges against Messi dropped; Case vs father continues

FILE - In this Sept. 27, 2013 file photo, Barcelona F.C. star Lionel Messi, left, arrives at a court to answer questions in a tax fraud case in Gava, near Barcelona, Spain. Barcelona prosecutors are calling for the arrest of Messi's father in a tax fraud case. Prosecutors have cleared Messi of wrongdoing but are seeking an 18-month prison sentence for his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, for allegedly defrauding Spain's tax office of 4 million euros ($4.5 million) in unpaid taxes from 2007-09. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti, File)
AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti
Leave a comment

Lionel Messi will not face charges that he and his father defrauded the government in millions of unpaid taxes, though his father is not so lucky.

Messi’s father, Jorge, could face 18 months in jail and an approximate $2.25 million fine despite a voluntary payment of $5.5 million in 2013 to “correct” the missed taxes.

[ WATCH: Hilarious spoof pegs Messi, Ronaldo as “Friends” ]

The Barcleona star had plead ignorance to the charges, something that failed to impress prosecutors. But, it apparently worked out in his favor on Tuesday.

From the BBC:

Prosecutors allege that Jorge avoiding paying tax on his son’s earnings by using offshore companies in Belize and Uruguay between 2007 and 2009.

Messi’s lawyers argued that the player had “never devoted a minute of his life to reading, studying or analysing” the contracts, El Pais newspaper reported.